Windows 10: Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well)

Discus and support Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I just built a new system (or really moved an old system to a new motherboard) involving a Foxconn Quantumian1 x79 motherboard and a 3930k... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by focusbob, May 9, 2017.

1. focusbob Win User

Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well)

Hello, I just built a new system (or really moved an old system to a new motherboard) involving a Foxconn Quantumian1 x79 motherboard and a 3930k processor. My PSU is a corsair RM850. On the old system (HP motherboard), I was not having any problems. With the Foxconn, I am having frequent crashes/restarts. The system reliably restarts when attempting to wake from sleep. That's not the only issue though; the crashes/restarts also occur sometimes when the pc is "awake". Though I haven't witnessed it, I ran Prime95 stability testing (to see whether my issue was sleep related or more general) and woke up to the computer having restarted itself... Please help!

I've attached my power efficiency and diagnostics report. Thanks!

Power_Efficiency_Diagnostics_Report.pdf

:)

focusbob, May 9, 2017

2. Computer always crashes when waking from sleep right after Windows 10 Update - Dec 2017

Thank you, I found the drivers for my graphics card and updated them. So far so good, no crash since I updated them.

Tina Mailhot-Roberge, May 9, 2017
  3. Computer always crashes when waking from sleep right after Windows 10 Update - Dec 2017

Hello there,

Following a Windows update last week, my laptop crashes every time I try to wake it from sleep or hibernate. When I try to turn my computer back on from sleep, now I get a grey/white digital snow screen, a clear crash that can only be solved by forcefully
    turning off the computer and then turning it back on.

I never experienced anything like this before and I can precisely pinpoint it to the last Windows 10 update. Thanks
    Obama Windows.

Here are the most recent updates according to my update history:

• Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - 12/1/2017
    • 2017-11 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 version 1709 for x64-based Systems KB4048951 - 12/2/2017
    • Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems KB4041994 12/2/2017

A few more updates were installed yesterday but none solved my issue so...

If that's any help, I have a 2015 13' Alienware laptop, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59GHz with 16GB of RAM, and using an NVIDIA GeForce 960M Graphics card.

What should I do to fix this issue? It's not that I'm getting tired of my computer crashing but... yeah, I'm getting tired.

Thank you for your assistance.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

Tina Mailhot-Roberge, May 9, 2017
  4. Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well)

Hi focusbob.

When you say crash is it a full on BSOD. If you machine is BSOD'ing and auto restarting lets first disable that behaviour.

Press Windows Key +R, type sysdm.cpl, enter, click Advance tab, click on “Setting” in Startup and Recovery section. Remove check mark from “Automatically restart”.

Now the BSOD will stay and you can record the details. If your machine is BSOD'ing there is a section on the forum to report. You have to follow the submission directions. If you want to add info always edit your original posting, they work off threads with no replies. Once a member picks up the the thread it works like any other thread.

BSOD Crashes and Debugging - Windows 10 Forums

Given you machine is crashing you may get some early insights as to what is crashing using products like Who Crashed or Blues Screen View.

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 10, 2017
  5. focusbob Win User
    Thanks for the tip! I have witnessed a BSOD or two, but that hasn't happened in a while (and I may have altered drivers and such since). Once, I was running Prime95 and I came back to the computer the next day having restarted itself. Other than that, any time the computer goes to sleep, it restarts itself when I attempt to wake it. If I get a BSOD, I will post it in the forum you indicated. Otherwise, is there anything else that can be done, for example about the sleep issues?

focusbob, May 10, 2017
  6. Well if it sleeps a long time then it is likely Hibernation that is at fault. Of course I could be proven wrong.

So if you could disable to test that would be a start.

Windows key + X, Command Prompt(admin), enter this command,

powercfg -h off

If this is not the cause the same command with "on" will enable hibernation. When you shut off hibernation it shuts of Windows Fast Startup.

If you no longer gets crashes with Hibernation disabled then you can enable hibernation and try just disabling Fast Startup.

Tutorial here

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, May 10, 2017
  7. focusbob Win User
    Thank you for your reply. Hibernation is already turned off.

focusbob, May 10, 2017
  8. Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well)

Well if you've had BSOD's then I think it is time to post in BSOD section. Your memory dump(s) are likely still there. You can go back in where you shut off the automatic restart and right at bottom uncheck overwrite.

Also check your Reliability History. It likely also contains details of what went wrong.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well)

1. Frequent crashes (always waking from sleep but other times as well) - Similar Threads - Frequent crashes always

2. Laptop always reboots when waking from Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop always reboots when waking from Sleep mode: I have a Lenovo laptop model 81SS, running Windows 11 Enterprise which always reboots losing all open apps, etc. when waking from Sleep mode. The assigned user states that it has always done that, and she has just recently cranked up the Sleep settings to get around it, as it...
  3. Crash After Waking From Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crash After Waking From Sleep: I got a crash after waking from sleep and I got this from the windows dump file using windbg. What is causing this error?Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.21349.1004 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File...
  4. Set time wake Windows from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Set time wake Windows from sleep: Hi, I was searching about a way to set a time o wake my PC from sleep, but only found a bunch of links about creating a new Task with privileges to turn On and open a cmd. Some time in, I found this shell for Ubuntu: https://github.com/bagustris/suspend_until This is...
  5. Graphics keep on crashing (on wake from sleep)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Graphics keep on crashing (on wake from sleep): My system is quite new. AMD 3900x, Radeon 5600XT. Fully updated. Monitor 1 - 1920x1200. Monitor 2 - 1920x1080. When I wake my PC from sleeping, the graphics on the 1920x1200 monitor has reverted to 1920x1080. Mon 1 Display Settings doesn't list the 1920x1080. Rebooting...
  6. BSODs or crashes mostly from waking from sleep

BSODs or crashes mostly from waking from sleep: I've modified my power settings a few times, disabled hibernate, fast sleep. But about 1 out of 4 times it seems when my PC comes back from sleep mode it will crash. I ran checkdisk and still can't fix this. Windows 10 just seems buggy compared to Windows 7, 7 never gave me...
  7. Frequent BSOD When Waking From Sleep

Frequent BSOD When Waking From Sleep: So this one's been puzzling me for a while. I'm getting very frequent BSOD, and it most commonly occurs when waking the computer up from sleep in the morning. The error code is frequently different, and sometimes I don't get a crash but just get weird behavior. Like chrome...
  8. Help, computer not always waking from sleep?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help, computer not always waking from sleep?: Hello everyone, i dont know if this is a windows 10 problem or something but i need some assistance. I bought a pc from CyberPower PC a couple of months ago and so far its been great. But the last few weeks (i believe is when it started) my computer doesn't always want to...
  9. DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!

in Windows 10 Support
    DWM and others crashing on wake from sleep - forced to reset - help!: Hi guys, I've encountered a new issue (itself a variation on an old one I thought was gone) on Windows 10 Creators edition and could use some ideas. In short, sometimes, very occasionally, when I wake the PC up from sleep, everything gets going except the monitor. It stays...
  10. computer wakes from sleep at night time

in Windows 10 Support
    computer wakes from sleep at night time: Each morning when I wake up, my computer is on, rather than in sleep mode, as I left it. I have disabled the power of the mouse to wake it. What else can I try to fix this problem? 24004