Windows 10: Fresh install - disable automatic driver installation from the start

Discus and support Fresh install - disable automatic driver installation from the start in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'd like to do a fresh windows 10 installation but I noticed before that right away at the beginning windows 10 starts downloading/installing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by dumble, Apr 5, 2016.

1. dumble Win User

Fresh install - disable automatic driver installation from the start

I'd like to do a fresh windows 10 installation but I noticed before that right away at the beginning windows 10 starts downloading/installing the drivers from microsoft servers. Is there a way to disable this from the start and just manually install the drivers. Win10 always ****s up my amd video driver installation.. *Mad

I use a usb with latest msdn release to install win10x64 pro..

:)

dumble, Apr 5, 2016
  2. Maxli86 Win User

Why is it Windows 10 does not allow manual install of drivers especially for notebooks?

Let me just vent my frustration as it's been very challenging to install recommended drivers

from manufacturers for my notebook.

Notebook unlike desktop, there are certain drivers especially the graphic driver

have to install from manufacturers in order for certain function like switching graphics

to work properly.

Upon installing a fresh copy of Windows 10, Windows will update those missing drivers.

However I do not always use drivers from Windows unless necessary as those drivers

are just basic drivers especially for graphics which does not come with

the program to adjust the graphic settings.

The current Windows 10 that I installed is November build 10586 and I could not find

any setting to disable the driver automatic update.

I spend hours just to install the correct drivers for my notebook.

Uninstalling, deleting and some drivers don't seem to go away.

Once the driver is deleted, it comes back again.

Under such scenario, some driver package that I try to run could not be run due to existence of previous version.

Seriously is there any way to disable the driver automatic update?

Maxli86, Apr 5, 2016
  3. BSOD issues Windows 10 64bit

Why is it that even on a fresh window and fresh install of AMD drivers (i disabled windows auto update) there is still a direct X error?

chooxingyu, Apr 5, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Disconnect the ethernet cable before installing? Then after you get your video driver installed, turn off automatic driver installation, then reconnect the ethernet cable:

Fresh install - disable automatic driver installation from the start [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2016
  5. dumble Win User
    I guess that’Il work, but I thought you had to be online for activation, will you be able to continue during the setup when your offline and choose the option continue without key or something like that..

dumble, Apr 5, 2016
  6. Tony K Win User
    Hi there. Welcome to the forum.

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Do as NavyLCDR directs and then I believe to use this option.

Fresh install - disable automatic driver installation from the start [​IMG]

Tony K, Apr 5, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Doesn't matter if you are online or not during the install, for activation purposes. Doing a clean install, one of two things will happen, whether you are online during the install or not -

1. Windows setup will read a Windows 8/8.1/10 product key in your bios, if there is one there, and install the matching version of Windows 10 without asking you for a product key or which version you want.

or

2. Windows setup will ask you for a product key, you select "I don't have a product key", "skip this step", or "do this later". It will also ask you which version of Windows 10 you want to install, select the version you had previously.

Then, in either case, after the install and all your adjustments, when you are ready and do go online, Windows 10 should activate itself automatically by retrieving the digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers that was stored there when you did your initial upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2016
  8. dumble Win User

Thanks, I already started the install procedure. And you're right, it didn't matter for activation purposes to be online or not. Installation went smooth, and I was able to install all correct (and updated) drivers manually myself . Cheers! *Wink

dumble, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fresh install - disable automatic driver installation from the start - Similar Threads - Fresh install disable

2. load ssd driver on a fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    load ssd driver on a fresh install: I have a MSI creator laptop M16 A12UD, I would like to fresh install Windows 11 from a USB pen. During the installation process, I need to load the driver for the ssd, and I cannot find any compatible driver.-MSI incredibly does not publish storage drivers on their website...
  3. load ssd driver on a fresh install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    load ssd driver on a fresh install: I have a MSI creator laptop M16 A12UD, I would like to fresh install Windows 11 from a USB pen. During the installation process, I need to load the driver for the ssd, and I cannot find any compatible driver.-MSI incredibly does not publish storage drivers on their website...
  4. Prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?: Hi allI have a very specific computer setup which requires me to install specific drivers. Unfortunately, Windows constantly installs drivers which I do not want.There are written articles which can be found through a simple web search, but absolutely none of them work. I...
  5. Prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows from automatically installing drivers?: Hi allI have a very specific computer setup which requires me to install specific drivers. Unfortunately, Windows constantly installs drivers which I do not want.There are written articles which can be found through a simple web search, but absolutely none of them work. I...
  6. Ehternet disabled , fresh windows install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ehternet disabled , fresh windows install: Ethernet wont connect at all , even tho the wire is connected. when i open bios to see the connection it says disconnected . i have installed all drivers and it would not connect still. it was working fine before reset my windows. it has been 16 hours trying to fix this...
  7. Disable OEM Automatic Driver Installation

Disable OEM Automatic Driver Installation: Hello, I have a new HP Envy x360 15-dr1003ca. I would like to use this for audio recording but cannot get the DPC latency low enough. It is regularly 6-7ms. I have read about this issue on many forums now. The closest I have come to a solution is to re-install W10 from...
  8. Disable automatic driver installation in Windows 10

Disable automatic driver installation in Windows 10: How to disable automatic driver installation in Windows 10? I have this Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (MacBook Pro 2011 w/ Boot Camp) whose driver I need to roll back to an earlier version for things to work properly, however Windows keeps reinstalling the newer version...
  9. How can I disable automatic driver / device installation?

How can I disable automatic driver / device installation?: Hi. This is not exactly win 10 specific question, i had same problem in win 7, but now that i'm on win 10, that problem is still there. here's what's going on: I have high-end gaming PC with GTX 980 and 4k monitor and 1080p monitor as secondary. 4k Monitor is connected...
  10. Disable/remove automatic driver install via Windows Update

Disable/remove automatic driver install via Windows Update: Recently I was notified that a driver installation failed. I went and checked it out, and it was a driver for HD 4600 graphics. My old system ran an i7-4790K, and when I upgraded to X99 I did not reimage my SSD. Is there a way I can remove an update from Windows Update?...