Windows 10: Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected

Discus and support Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Decided to upgrade my lenovo laptop HDD for a Samsung SSD and have had nothing but problems getting Windows 10 to boot. I tried the windows media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lnc4288, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Lnc4288 Win User

Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected

Decided to upgrade my lenovo laptop HDD for a Samsung SSD and have had nothing but problems getting Windows 10 to boot. I tried the windows media creation tool on 2 different flash drives with no success so I got the windows 10 ISO and loaded the USB drives using Rufus and am still running into the same problem. I am able to install windows onto the SSD no problem, but no matter what I do I get the "no bootable device detected" immediately after start up. I've been through every forum I could find over the last two weeks and nothing I've tried has worked. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

:)

Lnc4288, Apr 1, 2016

2. Windows 10 blue screen on startup SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I would first try to get windows 10 on bootable USB stick.

And a windows 10 or windows 8.1 SATA driver.

check your Laptop manufacturer website for Sata driver to install during windows 10 installation.

you might need that one installed to bootup the HDD or SSD.

for SSD , SATA mode is AHCI.

to start , i would begin doing this:

unplug other USB devices that you won't need right now.

Configure Bios in such way that the USB stick is the first boot device detected.

Or use a boot menu if the Laptop has any on startup.

Then try startup repair options on the bootable windows 10 USB at system recovery options.

try reboot the system afterwards and see if windows starts.

if not , maybe try to install the SATA driver with help of the windows 10 installation .

normally you do that before the fresh installation.

you could also do a total fresh reinstall if you like or PC repair.

but i would first try the startup repair or try install the SATA driver.

maybe a chkdsk /f with command prompt repair option on the windows 10 USB.

AndreKeurentjes, Apr 1, 2016
  3. Windows 10 fresh install on new SSD

To better assist you, we suggest that you contact
    Microsoft Answer Desk.

Thank you

Marivel Man, Apr 1, 2016
  4. Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected

Hello Lnc4288 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

The first question off the top here would be if you have been in the bios setup at all in order to see if the drive is found under hard drives or having disabled the factory logo screen seen the drive appear on the black post screen as drives, memory, cpu type information appears during the initial post tests.

Another thing to look at while in the bios would be the options for UEFI secure boot and Legacy. Since this type of problem has come up for others you may want to look over a few things. The first would be the guide for seeing a Clean Install of 10 go on. You will want to review things there as a refresher course. With SSDs using the same or similar technology as usb flash drives if you are replacing the original mechanical spinner at this time you will want to be sure that the optical drive isn't set as the default.

And if you are able to bring up the boot device menu selectin the SSD from the list should tell if the drive was actually made bootable or not. One option would be seeing an image made from the old drive being restored onto the new SSD and then if needed see an inplace upgrade to repair take place if the drive still fails to 10 run. The problem seems to be that the drive was never made bootable to begin with although the system folders and files were unpacked onto the drive.

It's ironic but right after this post I ran into another similar thread where someone else was having problems getting 10 to go onto another SSD drive. The advice by NavyLDR was in reference to what the Samsung support site for that brand of SSD suggests by unplugging the data cable primarily from experience here as well as the power plug for the SSD until reaching the Install Now screen when booting live from the 10 media being used. That thread is seen at Problem when installing W10 in SSD - Windows 10 Forums

Having worked with multiples drives over the last decade I have found with sata drives simply unplugging the data cable until reaching that screen should be all that is needed. The Recovery and Repair tools screen you arrive at when using the F8 key at startup also allows access to the Command prompt option where you can use the BCD repair options as well.

Night Hawk, Apr 1, 2016
  5. Lnc4288 Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I've been through probably 50 threads on this same issue over the last couple weeks and tried everything I could find to no avail. So yes, I've spent a lot of time in the BIOS, it sees the SSD. I've triple checked UEFI secure boot and Legacy. The old HDD is no longer connected so the SSD with Windows installed is the only thing that shows in the boot menu. On start up I get the no bootable device detected message. The only way to get around it is to insert the flash drive used to install windows 10. From there it boots back into Windows installer even though Windows is already installed on the SSD. Like I've said I've tried everything I can find. I don't see why installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD would cause this issue. I don't want to clone from the HDD because I want a fresh start on the SSD that was the point. Are you saying I should try cloning from the HDD and then restoring to factory if it works? Thats an option I hadn't thought of. Sounds a bit tedious but I'll try anything at this point. Thanks.

Lnc4288, Apr 1, 2016
  6. That was one option if the 10 installer was found not to be putting the files on the drive like it may appear to be doing. If you could boot live from a Linux distro like Ubuntu or Linux Mint from a flash drive to give the SSD a good lookover then you would know if the setup files as well as temp install folders and complete 10 install actually went on.

The repair install if not the BCD Rec tool used while booted live to the command prompt would be to see the drive made bootable. That seems to be where the problem is actually being seen where you may to go from MBR to GPT in order for the bios to be able to find the boot loader/information unless that isn't being created properly during the install for some reason.

The advice on the other thread came from one SSD manufacturer's own support site as to why 10 wouldn't go on fully which is what you are seeing there. Something is missing otherwise the bios would have already found the boot info and saw 10 Start up in order to complete the install. Which brand of SSD do you have there? Perhaps a look at that company's support information will provide similar information if not other steps to take.

Night Hawk, Apr 1, 2016
  7. ToeBoy Win User
    ToeBoy, Apr 4, 2016
  8. Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected

Don't look at me! I haven't seen the prices come down yet for any 1tb SSDs at all! Yet they now have an 8tb notebook drive out!

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 on new SSD -- No bootable device detected - Similar Threads - Fresh install SSD

2. Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS: Hardware: -CPU: AMD R5 5600x -Motherboard: Asus ROG strix x570-E -SSD: Samsung 980 ProSo I'm having some trouble getting my fresh install of windows 10 on my NVMe SSD to boot properly. I'm using a usb stick with the intallation tool from the microsoft website to install...
  3. Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS: Hardware: -CPU: AMD R5 5600x -Motherboard: Asus ROG strix x570-E -SSD: Samsung 980 ProSo I'm having some trouble getting my fresh install of windows 10 on my NVMe SSD to boot properly. I'm using a usb stick with the intallation tool from the microsoft website to install...
  4. Fresh install of windows 10 not detected as bootable in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh Windows 10 Install on new PCIe SSD.: Hello!I have wanted to move my boot drive from a SATA SSD to a new M.2 NVME SSD I got for my custom desktop, and I've been unable to successfully boot Windows from that drive after installing windows 10 pro onto the new drive. I've successfully done the following:- I've...
  6. Windows 10 clean installation on a new SSD, stuck in a loop no bootable device

Windows 10 clean installation on a new SSD, stuck in a loop no bootable device: Hello everyone, this may be longBackground:I recently purchased a new 500 Gb M.2 NVMe SSD unit along with 16 GB of RAM to upgrade my laptop. I'm having zero problems with the RAM, however that's not the case for the SSD. The SSD is a Kingston KC2500, the laptop is a 2 year...
  7. No Bootable Device Found After Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No Bootable Device Found After Fresh Install: I recently clean-installed Windows 10 after finding myself booting into a black screen with cursor post-login after having ran the memory diagnostic tool, and later getting a "No Bootable Devices Found" error after various unsuccessful repair attempts. Clean-installing...
  8. Activate Windows 10 fresh installation on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 10 fresh installation on new SSD.: Hello all, I just added an SSD to my PC and I've done a fresh Windows 10 installation, but am confused as to how I activate the installation. I have a digital license, do I just transfer that to the fresh installation? If so, how? Thank you....
  9. Is it recommended to fresh install Windows 10 for a new SSD?

Is it recommended to fresh install Windows 10 for a new SSD?: Hi so for Christmas I had gotten a Crucial 525GB SSD drive and I'm happy about it. But I heard somewhere that its recommend to Install windows freshly on a new SSD rather than transfer your old info to it. Should I just install Windows 10 on my new SSD since I don't have too...
  10. Potential Solution 'No bootable device detected' after fresh install

Potential Solution 'No bootable device detected' after fresh install: Hello Forum, My Dell Precision T3600 originally came with Win7 x64 which I upgraded to Win10 successfully. However I wanted to do a fresh install of Win10 to get rid of accumulated OS mess that cluttered most of my 256GB SSD drive. So I created a bootable USB thanks to MS...