Windows 10: Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

Discus and support Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, Just got a new Lenovo laptop with Win-10 Home to replace my older Win-7Pro laptop. This laptop has a whole bunch of junk software that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by nkaufman, Dec 4, 2015.

1. nkaufman Win User

Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home

Hello,

Just got a new Lenovo laptop with Win-10 Home to replace my older Win-7Pro laptop.

This laptop has a whole bunch of junk software that Lenovo has installed.

I was wondering what the best way is:
    - backup the system so in case I need to, I can reset to factory configuration
    - wipe out everything on HDD
    - install Win-10 from scratch and only programs that I need

Any pointers/suggestions would be appreciated.

Final question - can I install Win-7 pro on this laptop with my older license (old laptop is no longer being used) and use the free upgrade to upgrade to Win-10 Pro?

Thank you for your assistance.

:)

nkaufman, Dec 4, 2015

2. Windows 10 Home fresh install blue screens, Windows program failure and 3rd party program crashes.

Did you upgrade Win10 Pro to Win10 Enterprise (before you did the fresh install of Win10 Home) or did you replace Win10 Pro with Win10 Enterprise (before you did the fresh install of Win10 Home)? Where did you obtain the installation media for Win10 Home?
    ...Win10 Pro? ...Win10 Enterprise?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Dec 4, 2015
  3. PanDavit Win User
    Win10 activation using Win7 Product Key upgrading product version variant also

Dear community,

I recently purchased an HP laptop running Windows 10 Home (pre-installed).

At this point I have an activated Win10 OS running. An upgrade from Win10 Home to Pro or above comes of course with an upgrade fee.

Now, I have read that since November Microsoft supports the use of Win7/8 Product Keys in order to activate Win10.

I have purchased in the past an original copy (physical/boxed DVD) of Win7 Enterprise. Not upgrade but new install copy which of course comes with its own license.

My question is if I can use my Win7 Enterprise Product Key to activate my new laptop's Win10 Home with intentions to upgrade Win10 to Enterprise Edition free of charge considering that if I had a fresh installation of Win7 Enterprise the upgrade to Win10 would
    have taken place at the same version variant level i.e. the Win10 Enterprise Edition.

Thanks a lot for any responses.

PanDavit, Dec 4, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    1. Back up of everything: periodic disk imaging is the way to go.. I prefer Aomei Backupper (free is good)- many prefer the free version of Macrium Reflect although this lacks incremental imaging, being a version of an excellent commercial product.
    2. Try this to remove unwanted stuff conveniently:
    The PC Decrapifier
    (Says it works with Win 10)
    I used it a long time ago.. a neat convenience tool.

A clean install means getting and creating the installation medium and 2+ hours to install.

I think the answer to your last is yes, unless it's an OEM license.

dalchina, Dec 4, 2015
  5. nkaufman Win User
    Thank you for your response.

I was rather thinking about using a method that used to be available earlier - Create System restore disks or restore files on a external HDD or something similar. But if that is not an option then using reflect might be the way to go.

Tool would be nice but doing a fresh install would be my preference.

Time is not an issue. I can spend some time on this.

I don't think this is an OEM license but will check. Assuming by OEM license you mean a license that is similar to the license I have for my new win-10 home Lenovo laptop. Those licenses cannot be moved to another unit? Is that what you meant or did I misunderstand?

Thank you again for your suggestions.

nkaufman, Dec 4, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    If your old laptop came pre-installed with Win 7 Pro, you have an OEM license.
    That license lives and dies with the laptop. It cannot be transferred to another computer.

davidhk, Dec 4, 2015
  7. nkaufman Win User
    Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

nkaufman, Dec 4, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

You are welcome.

davidhk, Dec 4, 2015
  9. nkaufman Win User
    Was looking at Lenovo website and manual and it seems that I can:

- Use Novo button to start Lenovo OneKey Recovery system
    - Use System Backup to create a backup of System partition to an image file.
    - wipe HDD and fresh install Windows

and if I want to revert back to factory configuration, then I can
    - Create a D: partition of same size as the initial configuration
    - Restore image that I made earlier of System Partition
    - Now use Novo button to start Lenovo OneKey Recovery system
    - Use System Recovery to restore to factory settings.

Any comments?

Thanks,

nkaufman, Dec 4, 2015
  10. dalchina New Member
    Normal sort of options... a recovery partition.. which means you get your PC back exactly as you bought it, losing all else.
    If you are confident younever want that option, and want some disk space back, you can delete the partition at some point.

You're best using a 3rd party disk imaging program for backups. (You can even make a backup of your recovery partition before deleting it *Smile)

Best to create at least one partition where you store your own data/files/ photos/music .... away from the Windows partition. That gives a lot more freedom and security if you have to repair Windows or upgrade.

dalchina, Dec 4, 2015
  11. nkaufman Win User
    I'd like to reclaim the space taken by System Partition (being used by Lenovo right now) but would like to make a backup in case I'd like to go back to factory configuration any time in future.

That was the plan. Make System backup. Wipe everything. Fresh install Windows and have a separate Data Partition for my data.

So my previous steps were if I wanted to get back the space taken by System Partition and the following steps would be if I kept System Partition
    - wipe only C:\ of HDD keeping System Partition
    - fresh install Windows, create 2 partitions - Programs and Data

and if I want to revert back to factory configuration, then I can
    - Now use Novo button to start Lenovo OneKey Recovery system
    - Use System Recovery to restore to factory settings.

Thanks for your input.

nkaufman, Dec 4, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    This is what I would do (and have done):

Make a complete disk image with Macrium Reflect Free (and make a Macrium Reflect Free rescue disk/usb).
    Make a Windows 10 USB install USB/Disk.
    Boot from the Windows 10 USB install USB/Disk.
    Select the custom install option.
    Delete all the existing partitions on the hard drive.
    Point Windows 10 install to the unallocated space to install to.

Once you have home installed - trigger the upgrade to Pro by entering the generic Windows 10 Pro key that everyone gets when upgrading.

After the upgrade to Pro, activate it by entering your Windows 7 Pro product key.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2015
  13. nkaufman Win User

Thank you for your input.

I'm not sure I understand what you meant by the above. Where does one obtain this generic Win-10 Pro key?

Thanks,

nkaufman, Dec 6, 2015
  14. OldMike65 Win User
    Unless you have a windows 7pro key RETAIL version or a windows 8 or 8.1 RETAIL Pro key. not a OEM key, their is no way to change your windows 10 Home to Pro on your new laptop, unless it came with Windows Pro version when you bought it. As far as I know.

OldMike65, Dec 6, 2015
  15. NavyLCDR New Member
    First, run your Windows 7 Pro product key through showkeyplus "check product key" function:
    Solved Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

If it comes back as a retail product key and not OEM:
    1. I would highly recommend you make an image of your current Windows 10 Home. I prefer to use Macrium Reflect Free for that. Or be prepared to do a clean install of Windows 10 Home. The next step will permanently upgrade the Home to Pro - and if the activation step does not work, you will be stuck with a non-activated Windows 10 Pro.

2. Use the generic Windows 10 Pro product key (not "N" version, and not "Single language" version - N and SL require a different product key) to trigger the upgrade to Pro. On the activation screen from settings, use the change product key option.
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    This is the generic product key that everyone gets when then upgrade Windows 7/8/8.1 Pro to Windows 10 - it will NOT activate Windows 10 Pro - it will only cause the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

3. After the upgrade, go back to Settings and activation screen and enter your Windows 7 Pro product key, which should activate your Windows 10 Pro (you have to be on version 1511, build 10586 - also known as November update - of Windows 10).

If step 3 fails for some reason, you will have to re-install your Windows 10 Home - either a new clean install, or restore from a backup image.

NavyLCDR, Dec 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Fresh install on new laptop w/Win10-Home - Similar Threads - Fresh install laptop

2. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD: Ok, my daughter is going away for college and strangely asked for a desktop for casual gaming CSGO, in addition to her macbook. I have an old build laying around collecting dust so I thought I'll refresh it for her. Here's the spec:i5-2500k sandy brdigeAsus Maximum IV Gene-z...
  3. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD: Ok, my daughter is going away for college and strangely asked for a desktop for casual gaming CSGO, in addition to her macbook. I have an old build laying around collecting dust so I thought I'll refresh it for her. Here's the spec:i5-2500k sandy brdigeAsus Maximum IV Gene-z...
  4. i5-2500k based PC fresh win10 install stuck w/ BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. BSOD w/ fresh Win10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD w/ fresh Win10: Hello all, been having some trouble with Win10 as it's been BSOD often. Had to put it off until recently and I had thought I fixed it with some outdated drivers for my Scarlett 2i4 and some graphic drivers but it has come back in full force. Decided to start fresh with a new...
  6. HP Laptop with fresh clean install of Win10 Home

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP Laptop with fresh clean install of Win10 Home: I had to do a fresh full install of Win 10 Home 64bit on my HP Laptop Pavilion X360 The install went well and everything is working and now have Win10 Build 19042.928 The only issues are I have a bunch of devices without any drivers. Unable to tell what they are for. Can you...
  7. Looking for tutorial for fresh install of win10 home on new ssd

Looking for tutorial for fresh install of win10 home on new ssd: I looked over the tutorial for custom installation of win 10 but it had many steps about microsoft accounts that I'm not sure are applicable to me. I have a new pc with a brand new ssd (sata) and I have made a bootable usb drive with win10 installation files on it. I'd...
  8. Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed

Install Win 10 Pro on New Alienware Laptop w/Home Already Installed: Hi, As the title states I have a brand new Alienware R5-17" laptop that comes with Windows 10 Home installed. It has a 256 SSD and a 1 TB HDD. I have not powered the laptop up yet because I know Windows will want to walk me through a first setup process along with activation....
  9. UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UAC reverting on Dell laptops fresh install of Win10: I have a dell laptop that I'm attempting to change the UAC settings on. I have logged in as both a machine admin and a domain admin, changed the setting for UAC to notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer. Then did a reboot. The settings held fine for...
  10. New Computer w/ Win10 Factory Install >> Revert to Win7?

New Computer w/ Win10 Factory Install >> Revert to Win7?: I'm sorry to create a new thread. This topic has been addressed in other threads, but it's hard to make heads or tails "IF" I should, or "IF" I can even do this. Driver compatibility, software, et. In a nutshell, I want to take a computer with Windows 10 factory install,...