Windows 10: Fresh install: prolonged sequence before boot. Help?

Discus and support Fresh install: prolonged sequence before boot. Help? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, long time lurker (back to sevenforums) first time poster here. I built a computer back in October 2015 and initially ran Win 7. It ran and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by johnkimble, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Fresh install: prolonged sequence before boot. Help?

Hello, long time lurker (back to sevenforums) first time poster here.

I built a computer back in October 2015 and initially ran Win 7. It ran and booted great.

Specs (shown in Win 10):

Fresh install: prolonged sequence before boot. Help? [​IMG]

Asus H97i Plus Motherboard
    MSI GTX 970 GPU.

I recently clean installed Win 10, cleaned all drives in the setup via diskpart and have since been getting a 30 second'ish lag before the computer boots to the following setup prompt. During this lag period the GPU is lighting up and turning off repeatedly, probably every 5 or 6 seconds, as are the fans in the case.

From there I can hit F1 and enter the bios, and can boot successfully using the Windows Boot Manager.

I'm guessing based on my research it has something to do with UEFI/GPT or possibly even secure boot, but I'm not comfortable tweaking settings in the BIOS as I tend to break things. Here's a look at my drives:

I'm including screenshots of the multiple bios screens so hopefully someone can provide some tips with what to fix/what I'm doing wrong:

I'd really appreciate a few tips on how I might optimize my BIOS to fix this issue as booting the computer now is a little scary. If you need more info/screenshots just let me know. I was going to toggle CSM to see what happens but again my confidence level in the BIOS isn't high. Thanks so much!

:)

johnkimble, Jun 6, 2016

2. Reinstalled windows 10 won't boot without disc

Hi,

I fresh installed Windows 10 on my new SSD. After that it will not boot up. It says no boot device found or failed. But when I put in my Windows Boot Disc it will boot up and get into windows as normal. I go to bios and check boot sequence, reinstalled windows,
    repair and still the same problem. The only way to boot up normally into windows is to put in my CV. How do I fix this? Thanks

Presentelaw, Jun 6, 2016
  3. boot sequence?

Lenovo PC running Windows 10. I need to change the boot order. How can I do that from within windows 10? Lenovo is NO HELP AT ALL.....

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup

normahamby, Jun 6, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Fresh install: prolonged sequence before boot. Help?

One thing I immediately noticed is that your system time is not correctly set in the BIOS. You need to make sure this is correct and if it is not retaining the date and time then it would indicate that the CMOS battery on the Motherboard needs replacing.

philc43, Jun 6, 2016
  5. Thanks -- I should have mentioned that this was from a cold start after being unplugged for ~5 minutes. If I'm in Windows and then restart, the time/date are both accurate and are retained properly when the computer is off and then turned back on (without being completely disconnected from the power source).

johnkimble, Jun 6, 2016
  6. After doing more research on this and other potential issues with my setup, I boiled the issue down to using a display port cable with a GTX 970. It seems to be a prevalent issue with this GPU and cable combination. With the monitor plugged in with a display port cable boot struggles, either by not getting out of the bios or not even getting into the bios.

Solution: boot the computer with the monitor off. Turn the monitor on after a few seconds once things are moving along.

Bonus: with CSM enabled, boot time is faster than ever.

johnkimble, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Fresh install: prolonged sequence before boot. Help?

1. Fresh install: prolonged sequence before boot. Help? - Similar Threads - Fresh install prolonged

2. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  3. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot sequence: Is there a downloadable tool out there, that will allow me to follow my Windows 10 boot sequence? My PC seems to freeze up during the boot sequence somewhere. I remember with the older versions of Windows, there was a way to follow the boot sequence....
  4. Boot sequence

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Boot sequence hangs.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot sequence hangs.: I shut down the PC in the evening using the menu option. When I start the PC next day the disk lamp lights up for some few second but then it hangs. I can see the boot screen but not any rotating dots. If i do a hard power down hold the power button wait some ten seconds...
  6. Modify boot sequence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Modify boot sequence: Hello I have a problem with my Acer laptop,I want to reinstall my windows but I can t change my boot sequence because I have a BIOS password,I did not put the password I bought it from a store like this.When I got the laptop I could install it because it came blank with no...
  7. Change boot sequence

Change boot sequence: When my computer boots up I do not get a message "Press f* to enter BIOS" although the facility must be there somewhere, I've been able to find a way in to change some of the settings but not the boot sequence. Unfortunately it's so long since I needed to do this I've...
  8. Prolonged update sequence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Prolonged update sequence: My wife has W10 on her Sony Laptop. She gets updates followed by hours of just the 'dotted ring " flashing and its bumming her out. I think her laptop will start up eventually but there must be a way of avoiding this onerous situation . *Redface 72684
  9. Explorerinit phase of Boot sequences gets randomly prolonged

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorerinit phase of Boot sequences gets randomly prolonged: Hi there, So recently I got a Dell XPS 15 9550. I immediately re-formatted it and install everything from scratch. I'm also only using Local Account for my laptop. Now weirdly, I've been experiencing several occasions where the Windows will get stuck at the Logon period...
  10. How to change boot sequence to usb to boot to fresh copy of Windows 10

How to change boot sequence to usb to boot to fresh copy of Windows 10: Good day everyone! I hope you can help me with this newbie question. My Dell laptop has been nothing but a pain since day 1. I want to remove any possibility of this being a hardware problem by doing a fresh install with a downloaded copy of Win 10 from Microsoft, using a...