Windows 10: Fresh install, upgraded license

Discus and support Fresh install, upgraded license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I am current running on Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from Windows 7 Pro Retail. I am going to make a fresh install Win 10, but with which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mokujin, Mar 4, 2016.

1. mokujin Win User

Fresh install, upgraded license

Hello,
    I am current running on Windows 10 Pro, upgraded from Windows 7 Pro Retail.

I am going to make a fresh install Win 10, but with which Product Key will I need to use to active (Windows 7)?
    Or do I have to install Windows 7 first (and upgrade to Windows 10 again)?

Or, if I want to transfer my license to an another computer, do I need to install Windows 7 first?

Thank you so much Fresh install, upgraded license :)

:)

mokujin, Mar 4, 2016
  2. mascotzel Win User

Upgrade Path from Windows 8 license (NOT8.1) to Windows 10

Hello!

I have a valid license for Windows 8 PRO.

I want to know which are the correct steps to get the free licensed upgraded to Windows 10.

My first interest for the new SO is to have it fresh&clean installed, an not as an upgrade.

Things seem to point out that the only way to do it is to use windows 8 -> upgrade to windows 8.1 -> update to windows 10 ( to register the license) -> fresh install windows 10.

But I am unsure of this.

And it is a lot more time consuming than just Windows 8 license -> Fresh clean Windows 10.

How is it then?

mascotzel, Mar 4, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Upgrade Questions and Concerns

I have a dell laptop that is running Windows 7 Pro and looking into upgrading it to Windows 7 but have a few questions for the method that I am looking into upgrading it.

So I want to install a fresh version of Windows 10 on to it using a download from MSDN and have the following questions:

• DELL OEM Laptop License Windows 7 Pro
      • Can I use the Windows 7 OEM license to activate Windows 10 using a fresh image install?
    • Upgrade Roll Back
      • Is it possible to reinstall Windows 7 fresh and use the OEM license later after installing Windows 10?
    • Specific Windows 10
      • For the fresh install Windows 10 image it would obviously require the corresponding Windows 10 Pro image correct?
    • Windows 10 free upgrade end date
      • What is the Windows 10 free upgrade end date for someone in my situation of fresh Windows 10 install using Windows 7 OEM license?
    • Is there anything else I need to consider for upgrading to Windows 10 fresh using a Windows 10 image and not through the free upgrade windows update?

QuestionSeekerMS, Mar 4, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

You simply install 10 Pro and skip key entry. In rare event, it does not activate, use 7 pro key to activate.

To transfer to new pc, you can clean install windows 10, and use 7 key to activate. However sometimes it will complain key is in use, so you would need to reinstall 7 (don't do all the updates), then telephone activate it, saying that is your only pc. Then you will be able to clean install 10 and use 7 key to activate. You are required to move OS from old drive of course.

A good trick is to install 7 on a spare hard drive, temporarily removing drive with 10 installed.

cereberus, Mar 4, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Fresh install, upgraded license - Similar Threads - Fresh install upgraded

2. Why is a fresh Enterprise Evaluation installation license expired?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is a fresh Enterprise Evaluation installation license expired?: Hello,normally whenever I would install the Windows Enterprise Evaluation it would automatically activate the 90-day license. This has changed however as this time I did a fresh install already tried both Windows 10 and 11 I get the Windows License is expired message in the...
  3. Fresh install of Windows 11 - How to acquire license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fresh install of Windows 11 - How to acquire license?: In my MS account I believe I have two digital activations of Windows 8.0, which were later upgraded to Windows 10 when that became available. Searching the order history doesn't seem to work. Last month, every computer I owned was destroyed by fire, and I am building a new...
  4. Fresh install of Windows 11 - How to acquire license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fresh install of Windows 11 - How to acquire license?: In my MS account I believe I have two digital activations of Windows 8.0, which were later upgraded to Windows 10 when that became available. Searching the order history doesn't seem to work. Last month, every computer I owned was destroyed by fire, and I am building a new...
  5. Transfer Windows 10 Pro License on a Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows 10 Pro License on a Fresh Install: I originally had a Windows 7 Pro license that was auto updated to Windows 10 Professional in 2014 Then Last Year i got a new PC and I called microsoft and had that license transferred to a new Machine witha 250 gig HDNow i have a newer 2 terrabyte HD and I cannot reach...
  6. Fresh install or Upgrade to 10? [Question]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fresh install or Upgrade to 10? [Question]: Ok, I have read enough articles, many posts here on reddit and have some advices from friends. All are equally split between "just upgrade to 10 already, it's not as it was in the past. Just upgrade from within 7" and "of course you will go to a fresh clean install at some...
  7. W10 - Fresh install same license different language.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    W10 - Fresh install same license different language.: Hi. I bought an original license for Windows 10 Home on the Microsoft page. I downloaded the iso in English and installed it on a computer. Would I have any problem if I downloaded it again in Spanish and installed it on the same computer, using the same license and...
  8. Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will it be upgrade first then Fresh Install: hi if i missed the article on upgrading please forgive, when win 10 is finally available, i want to do a fresh install, so does that mean when it comes out i have to update first to get my license then start all over again to install a fresh copy? i always imaged my previous...
  9. Being advised not to upgrade but to fresh install ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Being advised not to upgrade but to fresh install ?: im so confused right now! people are reporting tons of problems when upgrading to win10, and my friends to do a fresh install of it ? but i though windows 10 was a upgrade only thing ? or do they mean my current OS as of right now.. to do a clean install and then upgrade...
  10. Anniversary: upgrade vs fresh install

in Windows 10 Support
    Anniversary: upgrade vs fresh install: Hey there, I've upgraded to Anniversary release using Upgrade Assistant, having Win 10 64-bit Pro version installed and everything is looking good until now. My concern is related to the programs functionality that was already installed, is this a good choice are there...