Windows 10: Fresh Install

Discus and support Fresh Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Windows 8.1 it came with my Alienware Laptop. I have recently installed Windows 10 TP accidentally overwriting my install of Windows 8.1. (I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BriniaSona, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Fresh Install

I have Windows 8.1 it came with my Alienware Laptop. I have recently installed Windows 10 TP accidentally overwriting my install of Windows 8.1. (I have all my personal files saved to other drives connected to the laptop so fresh installs mean nothing is lost). After realizing I installed Windows 10 TP over my windows 8.1 copy, I proceeded to contact Alienware to get a copy of Windows 8.1 for my PC. They didn't know the serial number or whatever and couldn't do jack sh*t because I was out of warranty. So I went off and torrented windows 8.1. Havent torrented an OS since windows 7 back when i had the Vista nightmare.

So, I am asking, if there is a program out there that can get the Serial Key for Windows 8.1, or if I am able to do a fresh install of Windows 10 when that comes out. I do fresh installs for the already know reasons. Upgrading is just blah, an what happens later int he PC's life when I need to do a fresh install anyways.

I just want to know if Windows 10 will come with a Key, because that would be awesome.

:)

BriniaSona, Mar 19, 2015

2. Fresh Install

You cannot clean install during the upgrade. Clean installs require a custom install (format) and you can only clean install after the hardware has been registered and the qualifying OS validated with the windows store. After that you can
    do a clean install when ever you like from the ISO that will be available on or about July 29

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Mar 19, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Mar 19, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

Fresh Install

If you install 10 (or 8 come to that) you could run the utility form here and it should pick up your OEM key.

Once you have your key you can download a proper version of 8.1 (but if the SHA is OK for what you have there is no need).

I did a clean install of 10 today and registered it with my 8 pro key and that worked fine (although I had to phone them to activate it).

adamf, Mar 19, 2015
  5. Do you know where to get a legit ISO of 64 bit Windows 8.1?

BriniaSona, Mar 19, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    adamf, Mar 19, 2015
  7. Awesome, now here's hoping Windows 10 comes with a Serial Key for fresh installs.

BriniaSona, Mar 19, 2015
  8. adamf Win User

Fresh Install

I doubt it. It might activate with your key in the BIOS though... If not try the link above - you should be able to dig out the key.

adamf, Mar 19, 2015
  9. Okay, with Windows 10, where do I put my 8.1 key? Also, when 10 does come out, will I be able to fresh install it since it automatically installs all the crap (mouse driver programs, usb drive software) that devices come with.

BriniaSona, Mar 19, 2015
  10. Also, why does my version of windows says VOLUME_KMSCLIENT Channel? is this because it is a torrented ISO and not the official one?

Don't buy Dell Products is the moral of my issues.

Edit: all 3 programs Belarc, Produkey and Windows Diagonostics tool are showing me the key for windows 10. How can I find the key attached to the motherboard, OEM one I guess?

BriniaSona, Mar 19, 2015
  11. Did a clean install with 8.1 about a week ago. It'll pick up your key in the BIOS and if it asks for one you're probably not installing the right version. Use the official ISO from MS (post #4).

cyberrufus, Mar 19, 2015
  12. Just called dell so they could tell me this

"We have no concept of a CD key, everything is built into the OS"

what a load of BS, they wanted to purchase windows again. STUPID. So basically pay more money to us or F*** you

BriniaSona, Mar 19, 2015
  13. Fresh Install

UGH the Media creation tool is only f0r 8.1, is there one so I can download windows 8 home. I hate Dell NEVER EVER dealing with then EVER again. What kind of BS is no cd key.

BriniaSona, Mar 19, 2015
  14. gzt7d8 Win User
    I feel your pain, I too had an issue with Dell on my new Area 51 desktop PC. But, I was able to get the product key off the system after it got activated. Unfortunately it sounds like you've gone past the point to get it.

Dell embeds the keys in the bios now, not on a label on the back of the PC. I would think that if you installed Win 8, the activation process should pick up the key from the bios.

The only thing that I can offer is: 1-the link to request a backup media from Dell (they sent me a USB with Win 8 on it) Dell Windows Sicherungsmedien und Wiederherstellungsoptionen | Dell DEUTSCHLAND 2- the command you can use to get the key off your system after it has been activated. From an elevated command line type: powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"

gzt7d8, Mar 20, 2015
  15. Looks like im buying a new copy of windows for 120 CDN, great deal.

BriniaSona, Mar 20, 2015
Thema:

Fresh Install

1. Fresh Install - Similar Threads - Fresh Install

2. No audio from headset after fresh instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio from headset after fresh instal: I reinstalled windows 11 and my steelseries arctis 3 headset has no adio despite it being detected in the device manager. Ive tried updating my drivers and rolling back drivers, ive tried unistalling drivers and disabling the devise and renabling it. Updated my bios, did a...
  3. No audio from headset after fresh instal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio from headset after fresh instal: I reinstalled windows 11 and my steelseries arctis 3 headset has no adio despite it being detected in the device manager. Ive tried updating my drivers and rolling back drivers, ive tried unistalling drivers and disabling the devise and renabling it. Updated my bios, did a...
  4. After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD: This is my bug check code 0x1010x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFAA81A9D40180, 0x4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-fresh-install-of-windows-11-i-still-get-bsod/6fb22eec-31a6-465a-a8a7-244fdb872962
  5. After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD

After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD: This is my bug check code 0x1010x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFAA81A9D40180, 0x4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-fresh-install-of-windows-11-i-still-get-bsod/6fb22eec-31a6-465a-a8a7-244fdb872962
  6. Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work: Just reset the come from a Win11 ROM dl and the audio doesnt have sound even though the device is detected, cant even play the test sounds, also the install might have broke some of my game trying to lauch monster hunter world and it keeps crashing....
  7. Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work

Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work: Just reset the come from a Win11 ROM dl and the audio doesnt have sound even though the device is detected, cant even play the test sounds, also the install might have broke some of my game trying to lauch monster hunter world and it keeps crashing....
  8. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  9. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  10. BSODs, even after fresh windows install

BSODs, even after fresh windows install: Folder containing dumps, dxdiags, etchttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iuCgQsfrdQbidEQro-iqvDDs2Fguls_R?usp=sharingCausesStarted when upgrading old system, components are:i9 14900k - CPUASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI - MOBOKingston 32GB 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 FURY...