Windows 10: Fresh Install

Discus and support Fresh Install in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I haven't seen this information posted anywhere in the Microsoft site or here ~ Once Windows 10 is released to the general public - can I skip the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by backpain, Feb 14, 2015.

1. backpain Win User

Fresh Install

I haven't seen this information posted anywhere in the Microsoft site or here ~

Once Windows 10 is released to the general public - can I skip the upgrade (I've never had much luck, and it seems to gunk up my system with needless old files) - and do a fresh install using my Windows 7 key to prove I have a valid copy?

I realize I'll lose a certain amount of stuff - but I'd prefer a fresh install.

Thanks in advance for your input.

:)

backpain, Feb 14, 2015

2. Fresh Install

You cannot clean install during the upgrade. Clean installs require a custom install (format) and you can only clean install after the hardware has been registered and the qualifying OS validated with the windows store. After that you can
    do a clean install when ever you like from the ISO that will be available on or about July 29

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Feb 14, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Feb 14, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Fresh Install

As far as I know when Win10 comes out it's going to be upgrade only and then later on there should be an ISO for sale.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 14, 2015
  5. backpain Win User
    Thanks Jeff. Given that, I will most likely wait until the ISO comes to market. I'd assume there would be several Service packs and fixes at that time.

I'm just wondering if that would be gratis as well.....

backpain, Feb 14, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks Jeff. Given that, I will most likely wait until the ISO comes to market. I'd assume there would be several Service packs and fixes at that time.

I'm just wondering if that would be gratis as well..... I would venture a guess that it's not going to be. The upgrade will be from what I've read and heard. And, FWIW, the upgrade works well.. for me at least.

BunnyJ, Feb 14, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    Everybody is having different kinds of issues with 10 and personally, I will not upgrade my 7 to 10 but my 8s will. I got nothing to lose with 8. I am just doing my best to keep it working for my "taste". *Smile

Your only option will only be upgrade. But don't worry, I've already tried upgrading a 7 to 10 and everything was smooth. And I also tried going back from 10 to 7 and that went well too.

badrobot, Feb 14, 2015
  8. Charlie Win User

Fresh Install

Hello backpain
    I prefer to believe that Microsoft has said use our new OS. Now, if you like you can get it free for the life of your machine. Its no matter to us if you upgrade all your old data from 7 or 8 all we need is your key from one of those and you in fact are upgrading that key to Windows Ten .Your key will then be good only on that machine for as long as you can keep it running. When the time comes that you have to push that machine to the curb your free upgrade key can't be transferred. Think of this as I do, what kind of sense does it make to give something away for the want of users to be happy with what they are getting when you know that it will not work as well as a clean install? Now nobody here knows for certain how its going to work. I just know one thing I will be getting me one. *Smile

Charlie, Feb 14, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    Hello backpain
    I prefer to believe that Microsoft has said use our new OS. Now, if you like you can get it free for the life of your machine. Its no matter to us if you upgrade all your old data from 7 or 8 all we need is your key from one of those and you in fact are upgrading that key to Windows Ten .Your key will then be good only on that machine for as long as you can keep it running. When the time comes that you have to push that machine to the curb your free upgrade key can't be transferred. Think of this as I do, what kind of sense does it make to give something away for the want of users to be happy with what they are getting when you know that it will not work as well as a clean install? Now nobody here knows for certain how its going to work. I just know one thing I will be getting me one. *Smile Charlie.
    Microsoft to my knowledge has never said you will need your key from your windows 7 or windows 8 operating system to upgrade. People have theorized about that including me. Also what is the life cycle policy has not be defined yet.

groze, Feb 15, 2015
  10. Fobok Win User
    One option, if upgrading is truly our only free path, might be to do a fresh install of Windows 7/8 and upgrade from there. Some of us may have to do that anyway, if they don't allow us to upgrade from the preview version to the release version.

(Of course, if they /do/ allow that, then that's another option. Just do a fresh install of a preview version.)

Fobok, Feb 15, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Up to this point MS has been a bit vague about the upgrade requirements. Yes, Win7 and Win8.1 users get a free upgrade but is it from a valid copy and how will MS verify that given the number of pirated copies around.

Only time will tell.
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 15, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    From early on, I was of the understanding that you would be able to upgrade from an existing, activated OS on one machine only.
    That would probably mean the key would be upgraded and a unique identifier embedded on the machine? (I don't know)

I'd rather do it like we did with Windows 8, toss MS a few bucks, get a whole new key and keep your previous OS legit as well.
    (For as long as it's supported anyway)

I'd spring for a few copies of Windows 10 at 15 bucks a piece! I'd be upgrading any machine I could find! *Smile

Edwin, Feb 15, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Fresh Install

I plan on getting the DVD/ISO when it comes out so I have both a key and a way to install my copy on a new PC when I build one. The free upgrade is nice and I'll do that as well.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 15, 2015
  14. LittleJay Win User
    That makes two of us!!! A free upgrade is nice, but I would rather keep my licenses for W7 & W8.1 Pro.

LittleJay, Feb 15, 2015
  15. groze Win User
    Edwin,
    Would that mean you couldn't go back to Windows 7 or 8 if you didn't like windows 10?

groze, Feb 15, 2015
Thema:

Fresh Install

1. Fresh Install - Similar Threads - Fresh Install

2. No audio from headset after fresh instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio from headset after fresh instal: I reinstalled windows 11 and my steelseries arctis 3 headset has no adio despite it being detected in the device manager. Ive tried updating my drivers and rolling back drivers, ive tried unistalling drivers and disabling the devise and renabling it. Updated my bios, did a...
  3. No audio from headset after fresh instal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio from headset after fresh instal: I reinstalled windows 11 and my steelseries arctis 3 headset has no adio despite it being detected in the device manager. Ive tried updating my drivers and rolling back drivers, ive tried unistalling drivers and disabling the devise and renabling it. Updated my bios, did a...
  4. After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD: This is my bug check code 0x1010x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFAA81A9D40180, 0x4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-fresh-install-of-windows-11-i-still-get-bsod/6fb22eec-31a6-465a-a8a7-244fdb872962
  5. After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD

After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD: This is my bug check code 0x1010x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFAA81A9D40180, 0x4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-fresh-install-of-windows-11-i-still-get-bsod/6fb22eec-31a6-465a-a8a7-244fdb872962
  6. Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work: Just reset the come from a Win11 ROM dl and the audio doesnt have sound even though the device is detected, cant even play the test sounds, also the install might have broke some of my game trying to lauch monster hunter world and it keeps crashing....
  7. Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work

Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work: Just reset the come from a Win11 ROM dl and the audio doesnt have sound even though the device is detected, cant even play the test sounds, also the install might have broke some of my game trying to lauch monster hunter world and it keeps crashing....
  8. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  9. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  10. BSODs, even after fresh windows install

BSODs, even after fresh windows install: Folder containing dumps, dxdiags, etchttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iuCgQsfrdQbidEQro-iqvDDs2Fguls_R?usp=sharingCausesStarted when upgrading old system, components are:i9 14900k - CPUASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI - MOBOKingston 32GB 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 FURY...