Windows 10: Fresh installation of Windows 10

Discus and support Fresh installation of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an Acer R7 laptop with Windows 10 installed. Originally the computer had Win 8 on it and Windows 10 installed on the computer without my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by starflyr, Feb 23, 2018.

1. starflyr Win User

Fresh installation of Windows 10

I have an Acer R7 laptop with Windows 10 installed. Originally the computer had Win 8 on it and Windows 10 installed on the computer without my consent. Ever since then, it's been just a little "off". For example, I can not shut it down with the Start button. It will only go into sleep mode. IF I hold the off/on button down, it will do a hard shutdown.

The Win 10 was a free upgrade. I'm thinking I might want to do a fresh install, but wondering about the ability to reload since I didn't pay for Win 10. I've seen a few posts about how to reinstall Win 10, but am a bit leery of ending up with a "brick".

Anyone know if this configuration of laptop can be reinstalled with a fresh copy of Win 10. I understand that I will first have to back up all my important files.

:)

starflyr, Feb 23, 2018

2. Fresh installation of windows 10 from iso

So you Clean Installed Windows 10 Pro and in process wiped Windows 7 Professional. I'm guessing you never made OEM Recovery Media in advance? Since you have an OEM license and the flawed Microsoft Software Recovery Tool blocks OEM licenses you have no Downloadable
    Reinstallation Media. The official solution is you need to pay full retail price to get support from Microsoft or pay your OEM for Reinstallation Media for an out of warranty system. These procedures are a waste of time even if you have the Reinstallation
    Media due to the requirement of >200 updates post Windows 7 SP1.

You are best to follow the unofficial upgrade path which is via a Clean Installation of Windows Insider 10130 with a Microsoft Account. This will let you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro:

Windows 10 Version 1507: Windows XP/Vista → Windows 10 Free Upgrade – The Unofficial Windows 10 Reinstallation Guide

Philip Yip, Feb 23, 2018
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    Fresh installation of windows 10 from iso

You Must do the First install over Windows 7 or 8.1 First ! Which will generate an activation key for Windows 10. After that you should be able to do a clean install if you want to. You shouldn't have to put in you're Windows 7 or 8.1 key after
    that. Check in you're system settings and Windows 10 should be activated automatically after a clean install.

WindowsOS, Feb 23, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Its all very simple and safe down the latest iso burn to dvdor usb set that to be first boot during install delete all the paritions install if it asks for a serial number skip it as its registerd at MS so will activate Download Windows 10

If you want to be super safe you can create a iamgebackup with any free imaging software so you can role back if needed given win10 is running on the pc you should have no problem

Samuria, Feb 23, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    The free upgrade gave you a digital licence linked to the unique hardware ID of the PC and stored on Microsoft's activation servers.

You can do a clean install of the same edition (Home or Pro), skip entering a product key (click 'I don't have one' if asked) and it will activate automatically as soon as it can contact the activation servers.

As this PC came with Windows 8 you probably won't be asked to choose Home or Pro or enter a key. Setup should find the Win8 key embedded in the firmware and use that to determine the correct edition.

6. AddRAM Win User
    AddRAM, Feb 23, 2018
  7. starflyr Win User
    Thanks to all for the info. I'm going to give it a shot...

starflyr, Feb 23, 2018
  8. Berton Win User

For the "I can not shut it down with the Start button. It will only go into sleep mode" there should be a setting in the power configurations about the action of what the button does.
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fresh installation of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Fresh installation

2. No audio from headset after fresh instal

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio from headset after fresh instal: I reinstalled windows 11 and my steelseries arctis 3 headset has no adio despite it being detected in the device manager. Ive tried updating my drivers and rolling back drivers, ive tried unistalling drivers and disabling the devise and renabling it. Updated my bios, did a...
  3. No audio from headset after fresh instal

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No audio from headset after fresh instal: I reinstalled windows 11 and my steelseries arctis 3 headset has no adio despite it being detected in the device manager. Ive tried updating my drivers and rolling back drivers, ive tried unistalling drivers and disabling the devise and renabling it. Updated my bios, did a...
  4. After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD: This is my bug check code 0x1010x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFAA81A9D40180, 0x4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-fresh-install-of-windows-11-i-still-get-bsod/6fb22eec-31a6-465a-a8a7-244fdb872962
  5. After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD

After fresh install of Windows 11 I still get BSOD: This is my bug check code 0x1010x8, 0x0, 0xFFFFAA81A9D40180, 0x4 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-fresh-install-of-windows-11-i-still-get-bsod/6fb22eec-31a6-465a-a8a7-244fdb872962
  6. Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work: Just reset the come from a Win11 ROM dl and the audio doesnt have sound even though the device is detected, cant even play the test sounds, also the install might have broke some of my game trying to lauch monster hunter world and it keeps crashing....
  7. Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work

Just did a "fresh install" and now nothing seems to work: Just reset the come from a Win11 ROM dl and the audio doesnt have sound even though the device is detected, cant even play the test sounds, also the install might have broke some of my game trying to lauch monster hunter world and it keeps crashing....
  8. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  9. My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...

My question is about Aero Peek. How do I make it work after a fresh [Windows 7} install and...: Aero Peek changes at times between working and not working for reasons I usually do not know {in fact never know.}. I recently reformatted my Desktop pc 3 times. {Running Windows 7 and not going to update to 10 or 11.} The last reformat was because Aero Peek was not working....
  10. BSODs, even after fresh windows install

BSODs, even after fresh windows install: Folder containing dumps, dxdiags, etchttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1iuCgQsfrdQbidEQro-iqvDDs2Fguls_R?usp=sharingCausesStarted when upgrading old system, components are:i9 14900k - CPUASUS TUF GAMING Z790-PLUS WIFI - MOBOKingston 32GB 2x16GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 FURY...