Windows 10: From Anniversary Update (1607) to Creators Edition?

Discus and support From Anniversary Update (1607) to Creators Edition? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I would like to have everyone's feedback here. Currently, I am running Win10 1607 (AU) and would like to soon upgrade to the Win10 Creative Edition.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by win10freak, Apr 2, 2017.

1. From Anniversary Update (1607) to Creators Edition?

I would like to have everyone's feedback here.

Currently, I am running Win10 1607 (AU) and would like to soon upgrade to the Win10 Creative Edition.
    Should I perform a Clean install from the 1607 to the Creative Edition or just do an upgrade through the Windows Update?

In other words, would a Clean install of from the Anniversary Update to the Creative Edition would be the best option?

What would be the best option when performing basically ANY Windows 10 upgrades?

Thanks

:)

win10freak, Apr 2, 2017

2. Windows 10 Creators Update Rollback

As Big Techie says, 1607 IS the Anniversary update.

I'm having the same problem - I need to roll back from Creators (1703) to Anniversary (1607). And the download tool only loads 1703. Microsoft, can you provide a link to download 1607 please?

NYCdrummer, Apr 2, 2017
  3. WayneRupp Win User
    Windows defender is disabled

Are you using 1607 Anniversary Update or 1703 Creators Update?

WayneRupp, Apr 2, 2017
  4. JPond Win User

From Anniversary Update (1607) to Creators Edition?

Usually clean installs are always best. I always do them on mine. But despite them being best if your upgrading from Windows 10 to another Windows 10 version (ie Anniversary to Creators) then an in-place upgrade should be fine. (WU or download and run the ISO setup.exe from the ISO in Windows.)

JPond, Apr 2, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    At a minimum, I recommend downloading the ISO file and not waiting for Windows Update. Then make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD from it as a backup.

If your Windows 10 is running good now with no problems (especially failed updates), then I would just upgrade by mounting the ISO file and running setup.exe from it.

You can then always do a clean install later, but I've been happy with upgrades so far.

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    The only time I relied on windows update to upgrade my machine was the initial free upgrade from 7 to 10 in July 2015. Since then I've upgraded to 1511 and then 1607. I always used the Media Creation Tool to make the bootable install USB, then used that to do an in-place upgrade. Never had any problem and intend to get Creators Update the same way.

The added bonus is if you have several machines to upgrade - download once and upgrade as many at you want.

Bree, Apr 2, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    As our esteemed posters above say, do the upgrade first. In most cases, it works fine.

You can do the "nuke" option later if you get issues, but upgrading from AU to CU should be relatively painless compared with e.g. 7 to 10 where the changes were very fundamental - particularly drivers changing which was usually prime reason for issues. Within reason drivers should hardly change between AU and CU.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2017
  8. Porthos Win User

Using the ISO as I did will avoid the extras that will most likely come with the windows update route. I had no new "suggested" app's added to my start menu. *Rolleyes

Porthos, Apr 3, 2017
  9. If you go from Anniversary to Creator by way of USB/DVD clean install, don't you have to spend the best part of a day reinstalling all your other programs and adjusting settings/appearance to the way you like it? Or is there a way to minimise such hassle?

dortmunder, Apr 4, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    Yes @dortmunder, but only if you do a clean install.

You can also use the USB/DVD to do an upgrade and keep all your files, apps and settings - just run its Setup from within your existing Windows. That's how I went from 7 to 10, then to 1511 and now on 1607. I still have apps that I installed when it was running Win7.

11. I have had every build since 9926 and I always just upgrade or do an in place repair upgrade when I get a DVD. I have never had problems.

Josey Wales, Apr 4, 2017
  12. Thanks, Bree. However, I'm not seeing the benefit of installing an Update using USB/DVD. Don't you get the same end result as simply letting WU do it?

dortmunder, Apr 4, 2017
  13. From Anniversary Update (1607) to Creators Edition?

I believe the benefit is the elapsed time. Downloading and burning the media and upgrading from there is quicker than using WU since WU does not use your full bandwidth when downloading Updates.

storageman, Apr 4, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    Not quite, first you have the reassurance that the download has succeeded before you start. Second, you don't have to download all over again should WU fail part way through. Third, the manual method has been found to be more reliably successful than the WU method. Anniversary Update Failure

Finally, you can chose to do the upgrade at a time that's convenient to you, rather than one of WU's choosing. The download size is about the same either way, but the bonus is you keep the install USB/DVD for later use - it's a useful repair tool in its own right.

15. Interesting, I think I'll give that a go. First, I'll have to change my WU settings so as not to receive auto downloads...

But how to tell if the Media Creation Tool you're downloading is the right one? I imagine the one in this pic contains the Anniversary Update but there's nothing confirming that. Is it perhaps the case that there's only one MCT available at any given time and it's changed simultaneously with major Updates?

dortmunder, Apr 4, 2017
Thema:

1. From Anniversary Update (1607) to Creators Edition? - Similar Threads - Anniversary Update 1607

2. Download Anniversary update ISO 14393 1607

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Download Anniversary update ISO 14393 1607: I have a lot of Dell Latitude 10 ST2 tablets that were just donated to the thrift store. They came with Windows 8.0 and I want to update then to Windows 10. Unfortunately they have the Intel Atom Clover Trail processor which Microsoft no longer supports after the Anniversary...
  3. Anniversary Update 1607 Mandatory/Necessary ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Anniversary Update 1607 Mandatory/Necessary ?: I did a clean install of 1607 on a separate partition and encountered wifi and graphic issues. Unsuccessful searched for appropriate drivers which may be found with further searching. However, my 3 year old Toshiba is running great on build 1511. Updates to 1511 were...
  4. Updating 1607 iso to creators with kbs?

Updating 1607 iso to creators with kbs?: I was wondering if this is possible, like when you integrate SP2 in a iso with windows xp sp1. Afaik I should integrate the "big one" and a patch that came yesterday, right? Could you point me to the kb articles, Im a bit lost and I dont know exactly which they are. Thanks...
  5. Difference between Feature Update 1607 and Anniversary Edition

Difference between Feature Update 1607 and Anniversary Edition: What's the difference between Windows 10 Feature Update 1607 and the Anniversary edition? My computer just finished updating (took best part of an hour) and I was told that Feature Update 1607 had been installed. I was then asked if I wanted to install the Anniversary...
  6. Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511

Updated Version 1511 to anniversary update, 1607, but still at 1511: Hello all. Running windows 10 pro 64 bit. I've updated from Version 1511 to the anniversary update, 1607. Or at least, I thought I did. The update went well, no hiccups, no errors. Used windows update, let it downloaded and install and rebooted. Alas, system...
  7. Updating To Creator Edition

in Windows 10 Support
    Updating To Creator Edition: I just built a new Ryzen system and installed a full version win10 x64. Last night I did a check for updates and it gave me the win10 Creators update. So I went ahead and started it at around 8 PM. I checked at 1 AM and it was installing at 40%. At 8 AM it was at 80%. At 12...
  8. Font Issue with Win 10 1607 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Font Issue with Win 10 1607 Anniversary Update: Hello *Smile I just installed Windows 10 AU and now my loved Font is messed up. But only some letters. Anyone knows why and how to get all letters back? That Problem is system-wide. How to fix? Screenshot: Before: [img] After Win10 Update: [img] You can...
  9. Not enough space for anniversary update (1607)

Not enough space for anniversary update (1607): Hello, I am the owner of a small laptop, an Acer Switch 10, which only have 32GB of SSD memory inside. I also have a microSD *always* in of 128GB, and a normal 500GB HDD on the keyboard, if plugged, of course. The internal memory has 6GB free right now, and I can't free...
  10. Anniversary to Creator update fails with 0x80070652?

Anniversary to Creator update fails with 0x80070652?: So, I have a problem on 1 machine. With the upgrade assistant the update stops with error code 0x80070652 Running from usb drive from windows it looks okay and reboots a few times, but at the last step it just shuts off. After restarting theres a quick error I did not...