Windows 10: frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod

Discus and support frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Today I had a frozen display mouse cursor and in the process of troubleshooting I experienced multiple bsod. The preliminary misbehaving software was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by zbook, May 9, 2017.

1. zbook New Member

frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod

Today I had a frozen display mouse cursor and in the process of troubleshooting I experienced multiple bsod. The preliminary misbehaving software was Speed Fan by whocrashed. The software was uninstalled and reinstalled and when using it with Intel processor diagnostic tool kit it kept producing bsod. The software has been uninstalled.

It was unclear whether to post in the bsod section or the performance section of the web site. I would like to work on both bsod and tweaking, maintenance and performance.

This computer is a 17 G2 with hybrid graphics. The bios setting had been modified to turn off hybrid graphics and use the devoted Nvidia Quadro 4100M graphics. The processor is I7-4800MQ @ 2.8GHz and RAM is 16 GB. The operating system is windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.1198. There was an unexpected cumulative windows update today and it is awaiting a scheduled reboot to upgrade to windows 10 version 1703. This unexpected download occurred either during the frozen mouse cursor or during the first bsod.

The computer was in routine use and the area under my left palm was warmer than usual. Over the past week there were other times in which I noticed the warmer area but this has appeared to be both temporary and recurrent for the week.

This mobile workstation or notebook is regularly in a docking station. It gets power directly into the notebook and also from the docking station. The power settings are on high performance.

On a routine basis I perform the following preventative maintenance: Run bios UEFI diagnostics twice per year and whenever there is a questionable hardware problem. Run Intel processor diagnostic tool kit to stress test the processor. Run Sea tools for windows to perform smart, short and long generic tests when I use a storage drive. Run chkdsk to check the drive and twice a year or more run chkdsk /f /r. Run Ccleaner to clean cookies, cache etc but do not use it on the registry. Frequently run sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth to check the operating system. Run Malwarebytes weekly to check for malware. Run HP softpaq download manager at least once per week to check on drivers.

Today during routine use of the computer the mouse cursor was frozen on the display. (This notebook does not have an external mouse). Control alt delete displayed sign out and using up and down arrows and enter it moved to wall paper or lock screen. Enter advanced it from lock screen to log on and it was back to desk top. The mouse cursor was still frozen. The up and down keyboard keys worked. But I was never able to get task manager to open file run new task and use command line. At the time I did not remember to use win + x, a, alt +y and then shutdown /s and instead used power off. So there are one or two unexpected shutdown in the eventvwr in addition to the bsod.

In working up the frozen mouse cursor I ran the Intel processor diagnostic tool kit and for the first time it displayed FAIL. It keeps a cumulative text log and I have been doing them since 2016. It has a default box that is checked to stop testing on fail. So there were now 3 new problems: warmer left palm area of the notebook, frozen mouse cursor, and Intel processor diagnostic tool kit displaying fail with message to please check your processor thermal solution, temperature monitor stopped.

Speed Fan was opened and temperatures were monitored. The Intel processor diagnostic tool kit was restarted. Control alt delete was used to reopen task manager to monitor cpu, memory, and disk. Other windows and software were open. The first bsod occurred and upon reboot whocrashed was ran and it displayed problems with Windows and Speed Fan. The Intel processor diagnostic tool kit was ran a few more times. It had some fails and some pass. When Speed Fan was run again there was another BSOD. Speed fan was then uninstalled. The Intel processor diagnostic tool kit has been run multiple times and all pass.

During the troubleshooting I had also noticed periods of disk100%. This computer has Windows performance recording software but I had not used it to record during the event.

Whocrashed found 8 crashes since I installed it and only 5 reports were included in the latest report. In Feb or March 2017 I had used windows driver verifier. It produced stop code driver verifier detected violation and I no longer remember whether it had produced a .sys in the bsod. Windows defender offline had been used at the time so I was not able to run windows driver verifier again without risking a blue screen boot loop. I don't remember whether or not I had uninstalled and reinstalled any software or drivers.

Additional information:

Reliability control panel 5/9 and 5/10
    Intel processor diagnostic tool logs
    Administrative command prompt scannow, restorhealth and chkdsk
    HP Performance Advisor detailed computer information including sensor results

Attachment 134292

Attachment 134293

Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool Logs: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
    (c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.14393.0

Image Version: 10.0.14393.0

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is Windows.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
    Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    519168 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    17192 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    643770 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    62302 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    41481248 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

230819839 KB total disk space.
    174485684 KB in 337586 files.
    227924 KB in 62303 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    641195 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    55465036 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    57704959 total allocation units on disk.
    13866259 allocation units available on disk.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

HP Performance Advisor: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

This zip is before the complete uninstallation of Speed Fan: Attachment 134296

This zip is after the complete uninstallation of Speed Fan: Attachment 134296

:)

zbook, May 9, 2017

2. Mouse pointer frozen on desktop screen

No actual mouse, using touch pad. Am able to log in, pointer can be moved at this stage. But once the desktop screen is visible, the mouse pointer is frozen in the centre of the screen.

MichaelJerreat, May 9, 2017
  3. Cortana

Will your mouse pointer move around and such, or is it totally frozen?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], May 9, 2017
  4. frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod

Code: 0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (9.05.2017 23:51:28) [Windows 10] CAUSED BY: memory_corruption speedfan.sys [29.12.2012] * SpeedFan * => Download SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer PROCESS: speedfan.exe Usual causes: Kernel mode driver, System Service, BIOS, Windows, Virus scanner, Backup tool, compatibility ============================================================================================================== 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (7.04.2017 23:31:19) [Windows 10] CAUSED BY: Netwbw02.sys [9.10.2016] * Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver - Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter * => Drivers & Software PROCESS: System Usual causes: Device driver[/quote]
    These are the most recent dumps. First one shows the driver for Speedfan. This dump is from 09.04.2017, speedfan was running at crash time.
    Second one shows the Intel Wifi driver. Please update or roll back this driver:
    Netwbw02.sys [9.10.2016] * Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Driver - Intel® Wireless WiFi Link Adapter * => Drivers & Software

In the windows eventlog I can also see that the GPU driver chrashed. Maybe an Problem with the driver itself, or the GPU.
    Code: 2017-03-09T00 58:47.608 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.: . 2017-04-11T15 50:23.523 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.: . 2017-04-19T15 42:30.855 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.: .[/quote]
    Did u change any clocks or fan speeds with speedfan? Maybe this could be the culprit why the nvidia driver chrashed.

BSODHunter, May 9, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    zbook, May 9, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    The speed fan application has not yet been reinstalled and tested while using Intel processor diagnostic tool kit. There have been no bsod with speed fan uninstalled and the download/installation of the fresh drivers.

If you think its ok to reinstall the application and see if bsod happens I can do that.

zbook, May 13, 2017
  7. Yes, Just try ist out.

BSODHunter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod

1. frozen display mouse pointer troubleshooting bsod - Similar Threads - frozen display mouse

2. Mouse Pointer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse Pointer: Hi there,My PC is fully up-to-date in regards to Windows 11 & mouse driver so it is not an issue related to things needing to be updated.I have never been able to change my pointer. When in mouse settings & selecting the pointer I am wanting it won't even change my actual...
  3. Mouse pointer not displaying

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse pointer not displaying: Hi, my mouse stopped displaying on screen about a day ago for no reason. Have tried to do an update of driver but it says it’s the most up to date one. Tried removing the mouse and re installing but still nothing....
  4. Mouse Pointer

Mouse Pointer: My mouse pointer is ok with all apps except one "poker stars". When I click on a poker stars table, the mouse pointer becomes extremely tiny.I tried everything in windows 10 home edition adjusted mouse size and color, size stays same except for poker stars.I contacted...
  5. mouse pointer

in Windows 10 Customization
    mouse pointer: I was changing my mouse pointer color and now there is this irritating blue square floating around on the screen. How do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/33a2163f-e214-4004-bcff-3013b2638f93
  6. mouse pointer

mouse pointer: how can i get the mouse pointer to snap to e.g. [OK] in a choice situation? or to YES or to NO etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/f788a716-5532-47c4-aa43-2bc394a641b4
  7. Mouse pointer

Mouse pointer: The pointer is fixed in the middle of the screen,touchpad/left & right buttons not working. Can anybody help please ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/0dfd6cfb-a9cb-450e-924e-8bc8745d590e
  8. Mouse Pointer

Mouse Pointer: How can I change my pointer so that it faces to the right instead of the left (I am left handed and it looks funny to me that way). https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-pointer/36228905-7b27-49a2-9c69-1822dc34bd0d
  9. touchpad pointer is frozen

touchpad pointer is frozen: touchpad pointer is frozen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touchpad-pointer-is-frozen/1066a466-3346-4680-864d-f750a0602cce
  10. Frozen Mouse Pointer

Frozen Mouse Pointer: after the update my mouse frozen every moment https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/frozen-mouse-pointer/3d8203bb-8ee8-49d8-8987-8e64b01e3085