Windows 10: Frozen start menu & repeated hardware error

Discus and support Frozen start menu & repeated hardware error in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone! I've been having two issues for the past few weeks. After a while, (it varies time wise) the start menu and search bar become unresponsive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ohstopyou, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Ohstopyou Win User

Frozen start menu & repeated hardware error

Hi everyone! I've been having two issues for the past few weeks. After a while, (it varies time wise) the start menu and search bar become unresponsive and will no longer open. The only way to make them respond again is to restart; however, this comes with another issue. It will hang forever on the "Restarting..." screen unless I do a hard shutdown.

On the other hand, a hardware error keeps appearing and it appears to talk about an Nvidia driver.

After checking the reliability monitor, it shows that I have two critical faults:

Frozen start menu & repeated hardware error [​IMG]

I've tried numerous troubleshooting steps, which I will list below, and none of them have provided any lasting results:

• Disabling Cortana (helped at first, now the issue is back)
    • A clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers, twice on two separate days (fixed the hardware error for a day, now it's back)
    • sfc /scannow (It shows no integrity violations)
    • Installing any and all windows updates (nada)

I even chatted with a support agent at Microsoft and the only thing he could tell me was that "User Accounts are being corrupted and that Microsoft is researching a fix". I'm confused how User Accounts interfere with the start menu and cause a hardware error. This never happened when I was on Windows 8.1, so I am confused as to what has changed (other than the OS version, of course).

Info is attached below; I appreciate any help/advice. Thanks guys! *Smile

:)

Ohstopyou, Sep 26, 2015
  2. Vaneck1 Win User

Free Windows 10 deactivated.

After repairing my Excel (had a DLL error), my Start Menu & Task Bar was frozen (still is) and I have a message on my desktop requesting that I Activate my Windows 10 but I receive an error when I try to activate (explorer.exe).

Vaneck1, Sep 26, 2015
  3. Start menu frozen

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Did you make any changes to your PC prior to this issue?

2. Do you perform any specific task when the start menu freezes?

3. Are you able to open icons on the task bar when the start menu freezes?

For now, I suggest that you check if the same issue occurs in Safe Mode. Safe mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. It can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC. To learn how to log into Safe Mode click on the link
    below

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Also, I suggest that you create or log into another user account and check if that account display the same symptoms. To learn how to create a new account click on the link below

Create a
    local user account in Windows 10 - Windows Help

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Sep 26, 2015
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Ohstopyou,

Welcome to the 10forums.

Your problems are not related to BSOD's.
    Please create a new thread at the Performance and Maintenance section for the frozen start menu problem.
    Please create a new thread at the Drivers and Hardware section for the repeated hardware error problem.

Thema:

1. Frozen start menu & repeated hardware error - Similar Threads - Frozen start menu

2. start menu and searchbar is frozen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    start menu and searchbar is frozen: I'm having issue when I use that start button it won't work, same thing with the search bar. If you try open the photo app it wl close right away.I fixed it by creating a new profile but it will go back eventually. What to do?...
  3. start menu and searchbar is frozen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start menu and searchbar is frozen: I'm having issue when I use that start button it won't work, same thing with the search bar. If you try open the photo app it wl close right away.I fixed it by creating a new profile but it will go back eventually. What to do?...
  4. start menu and searchbar is frozen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Critical Error - Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Critical Error - Start Menu: Hi, I've encountered a critical error "Your Start menu isn't working..." How to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-error-start-menu/96f57669-ca31-4b24-bb04-23afa30c285c
  6. Start button frozen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start button frozen: Windows 10. I am fed up with not being able to close my computer every day using the Start button shut down. The time I have wasted trying many fixes to get the Start button working. All have failed. Like many many others with the same problem I have just about had enough...
  7. Frozen start menu in windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Frozen start menu in windows 10.: Hey folks, Anyone have the problem or fix for a frozen start menu in windows 10, where the alphabetical list of apps and the apps side itself freezes and simply refuses to scroll, and simply locks up. If I do something else on the computer like open a browsing session in...
  8. start menu - critical error

in Windows 10 Support
    start menu - critical error: When I got home from work today I turned on my computer. When I click on the start button I get a pop up now: CRITICAL ERROR Your start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it for you the next time you log on. The only option is a button that says sign out now. I hit it...
  9. Start Menu Error

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Error: Hey, so the other day when i tried to open up the start menu it dosen't even open up. this has happened to me in windows 8 so i was able to easily fix it but as soon as i restart my computer, it just's comes back again, *cry it's getting very annoying opening up the...
  10. critical error start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    critical error start menu: Hi, hoping this is correct section, (moved from BSOD,crashes) I wish to reopen thread on this subject as the last time I looked it was closed in June 2016. Lately I keep getting a critical error when I try to access start menu. I have followed Brinks tutorial on subject, but...