Windows 10: Function keys won't work w/o hitting Fn key also

Discus and support Function keys won't work w/o hitting Fn key also in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; NOT liking this new Win 10 computer + Acer support is pitiful! My function keys 1-12 work in reverse of what I want. Example F1 will not put computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Rocks, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Rocks Win User

Function keys won't work w/o hitting Fn key also

NOT liking this new Win 10 computer + Acer support is pitiful! My function keys 1-12 work in reverse of what I want. Example F1 will not put computer to sleep unless I press Fn key at same time. Same with volume, mute, etc. I hate this + want to change it back. lease help!

:)

Rocks, Nov 10, 2016

2. Using function keys w/o having to use the Fn key

Is it possible to make that the standard? I was talking to Dell phone support recently & was amazed that the function keys were working W/O having to use the Fn key. Naturally it didn't last long. How can I get that to be the normal procedure? Having
    to use the Fn key is truly ridiculous since the function keys aren't dual use.

Thanks!

Am using a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 series laptop.

USN-SPARKS, Nov 10, 2016
  3. sully57TD Win User
    touchpad

ty. I have a Dell Inspiron 5559. There is a padlock icon on Esc key. Pressing it (with Fn key) doesn't change the touchpad status. My F7 key is the only Fn key w/o an icon.

sully57TD, Nov 10, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Sometimes there is a setting in BIOS/UEFI that determines if the function keys provide F-functions or the custom functions by default. Also you might look for software from the manufacturer for the brand/model keyboard you are using.

NavyLCDR, Nov 10, 2016
  5. Barman58 Win User
    As far as I am aware the way you describe is, and always has been the standard way of keyboard function key operation, the three of mine I have just checked work this way, They are all from different manufacturers so It's not a one off situation , As stated above there may be a BIOS switch, or you may be able to utilise a keyboard mapper

The one shown here ... Map Any Key to Any Key on Windows 10, 8, 7, or Vista is one of the more popular options

Barman58, Nov 10, 2016
  6. Rocks Win User
    So how do I get to BIOS + what do I do when I get there? The keyboard came with the new computer. Not impressed with any of it + especially Windows 10. The function keys clearly have their use listed on the key, but they won't work w/o the Fn key. That's definitely not right.

Rocks, Nov 10, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    All the Notebooks/Laptops I've worked with did the same but some were opposite of others. The Fn key works in combination with the Fx keys with markings of the same Color as the Fn. Some will be marked in blue with additional markings in white, holding down the Fn key while pressing an Fx determines the function. Some older units will have markings on different keys such as the arrow keys and PageUp/PageDown keys, Home and End keys, etc. Just have to learn what your Notebook does. A standard desktop keyboard can be used on Notebooks but won't have all the added functions.

Berton, Nov 10, 2016
  8. Rocks Win User

Just spent hours on phone with Microsoft + Acer, neither one can fix it. Unbelieveable! What a POS! Microsoft doesn;t even believe it's a genuine Windows 10 install.

Rocks, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Function keys won't work w/o hitting Fn key also - Similar Threads - Function keys won't

2. hitting the v key also "hits" the enter key, and vice versa. it is as if the keys are linked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hitting the v key also "hits" the enter key, and vice versa. it is as if the keys are linked: each time i hit either key, it goes to next line or sends whatever i am typing, I have tried to reinstall the drivers but i do not think it is actually doing anything. This is an example of how my keyboard is currently functioning, i am going to press v 10 times without...
  3. hitting the v key also "hits" the enter key, and vice versa. it is as if the keys are linked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hitting the v key also "hits" the enter key, and vice versa. it is as if the keys are linked: each time i hit either key, it goes to next line or sends whatever i am typing, I have tried to reinstall the drivers but i do not think it is actually doing anything. This is an example of how my keyboard is currently functioning, i am going to press v 10 times without...
  4. hitting the v key also "hits" the enter key, and vice versa. it is as if the keys are linked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work

Whenever I press the FN key, the function keys don't work: My function keys on my USB keyboard don't work whenever I press "fn". e.g I can press F2 to change a file's name and it works just fine, but if I press fn + F2 to lower the volume, it doesn't work, and it's the same for the rest of the function keys, they work all just fine...
  6. FN Key + W

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    FN Key + W: So I listen to music while playing games and instead of tabbing out of the game to pause then wait ten year to tab back in I just used the fn key + w, but today when I did it it tabbed me out of my game and opens windows pen or something. It was working yesterday. Is there...
  7. Fn key not working

Fn key not working: Hi, My Fn key randomly stops working, sometimes it doesn't work on start-up. I have a dell g5 5590. Tried fixes: - Reinstalling HID keyboard drivers. - trying Windows mobility center, the option is absent. - Activating, reactivating through bios. - reinstalling...
  8. Function key (Fn) is not working!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Function key (Fn) is not working!: When i press Fn + F1 or any other combination nothing happens. I have troubleshooted, restarted and tried many fixes. Please help! It's a Toshiba laptop. The issue has been occuring for a long time....
  9. Toshiba - Function or FN keys not working? Try this...

Toshiba - Function or FN keys not working? Try this...: Recently I had to completely start over on my laptop. Full delete, format and reinstall of windows twas the only was to defeat the 'endless reboot loop'. Yes, I tried everything I could find... but after a fortnight of trying, retrying and working through countless errors...
  10. Fn Key functions are not all working

Fn Key functions are not all working: hello i have VAIO E VPCEH3AEA Fn + F1 = lock touchpad =>not working Fn + F2 = mute volume => working Fn + F3 = decrease volume => working Fn + F4 = increase volume => working Fn + F5 = decrease brightness => not working Fn + F6 = increase brightness => not working Fn...