Windows 10: Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware

Discus and support Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi Folks I thought this is a reasoned (for once) and decently written informative article --not a sales pitch that we so often get from "Pseudo... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 10, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware

Hi Folks

I thought this is a reasoned (for once) and decently written informative article --not a sales pitch that we so often get from "Pseudo Technical" articles written in such places like PC magazine etc.

Anyway enjoy -- you don't have to agree with it but I found it merits a read.

The Real Threat to VMware: KVM -- Virtualization Review

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 10, 2017
  2. SJDM Win User

How to display different virtual desktops on different monitors

I would suggest the most useful get-around is to run VMware virtual machine and use the power of a wider desktop to run the VMware (or HyperV etc) on the 2nd monitor. You can then run the VMware software in 'unity mode' which allows you to work directly
    in the application window (the one inside the VM); this is better than having to Alt + Tab to the VM environment guest and select the app window you want inside that. It's great, and Windows / VMware is a good solution. (I don't know HyperV which I believe
    has similar functionality). Just make sure you have plenty of memory, as a 64 bit VMware guest VM OS will use similar RAM as a your 'host' machine.

3. Natsum Win User
    Will Windows Virtual PC still work with Windows 10?

Hi Andre,

Thank you for your reply. However, I never said I was using "Windows XP Mode" (which I am not by the way) - I simply have a Windows XP VM.

Anyway, I have solved the problem very easily and quickly (in less than 20 mins) by:

1. Downloading and installing (a) VMware Player 7.12 and (b) VMware vCentre Standalone Converter;

2. Converting my Virtual PC VM into a VMware Player VM

Now I have a system that allows me to continue to use my Windows XP VM once I have upgraded to Windows 10.

Thanks to all who replied - it is appreciated.

Regards,

Natsum, May 10, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

They say KVM is being adopted in the mass market. I think that is bs - does anybody even know anybody who uses KVM (apart from you I am guessing)?

It may have a good penetration in the linux market but as far as I can tell this is not a tool for beginners. In the Windows market, clearly virtualbox/vmware are market leaders for Home users and Hyper-V for Pro users etc.

You say article is reasoned and informative - I thought pretty much the opposite - lots of words but no backup evidence or substance.

cereberus, May 10, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

I think that's the point - It isn't intended really for the Home market -- there's utterly no reason for it - unless you like "Tinkering" etc.

What it does show that companies who use loads of servers etc might (and do) save themselves oodles of dosh by looking at solutions based on KVM rather than the fairly substantial costs incurred by using VMWARE.

On the Windows side using the Ms AZURE cloud for businesses isn't cheap either -- if robust (stable) cheaper solutions can be found then there is a HUGE market for this stuff.

The base KVM is simply Linux's version of a built in hypervisor akin to Windows HYPER-V - loads of companies providing computing infrastructure via individualized servers to their clients use masses and masses of VM's - Red Hat is an example of a hugely successful company providing service like this.

The world's open source leader

The idea of course is to have the "bare metal" Os'es to consume as minimal resources as possible giving the GUESTS maximum flexibility with hardware and performance. The hosting company has all the servers while the client companies run their computing infrastructure on the personalized Guest OS'es.

Again this is of very small significance to a typical Home user running a few VM's for learning / enjoyment or whatever - but is of very great commercial relevance in the business world -- especially these days where even saving a few cents per device means either making loads of money or going bust.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 10, 2017
  6. Mystere Win User
    From an end users perspective, running a hypervisor on their own local machines, VMWare and Hyper-V are still much better.

It's true that some companies are finally starting to provide turnkey KVM solutions for the enterprise, but those solutions still fall behind in areas such as storage management (VMWare's vMotion and Hyper-V's Live Motion). KVM has something called savevm and loadvm, which is a lot more complex to manage than either of the other solutions.

It is improving rapidly though, and may soon achieve some level of feature parity. However, these enterprise solutions are just as expensive as the commercial ones, and the whole "open source" argument is irrelevant since it's not really free (cost-wise, which is the only real reason most enterprises use open source in many cases).

Mystere, May 10, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    I have not seen a business using KVM. I have seen Vmware, some Hyper-V, AWS and some talk about Azure.

pparks1, May 10, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Yeah but way article was written, it sort of implied otherwise.

I just get irritated by articles that do not back it up with some real statistics. Mind you, 95% of all statistics are made up.

I could see this is worrying for VMWare - probably less so for Virtualbox?

Hard to say what impact it would have on the MS Server market?

cereberus, May 10, 2017
  9. Mystere Win User
    There are a lot of hosting companies that use OpenStack, which uses KVM as the default hypervisor. A lot of others use Xen, but KVM has been eating Xen's marketshare.

VMWare is losing the lower-end market to KVM.

Mystere, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware - Similar Threads - Future VM's KVM

2. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  3. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  4. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  5. Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare

Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare: Hello there, I'm trying to run a windows VM (tried 7 and 10) with 64-bit on virtualbox. But it stucks in the "starting windows" screen (very unsmoothly animations). The vm's specs are: 8GB RAM, 2 CPUs, 128MB VRAM (Max), 32GB VHD (should be enough). All the other settings...
  6. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  7. Windows VM V2V (Virt to Virt) conversion KVM to and from VMWare

Windows VM V2V (Virt to Virt) conversion KVM to and from VMWare: Hi there The easiest way to achieve converting a Windows VM from (or to) KVM / VMWare is to forget about the VMWare's conversion software -- doesn't really work satisfactorily and takes forever to run is simply to do the following a) From KVM to VMWare (or even to a Real...
  8. Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM

Macrium restore of a QUEMU / KVM W10 VM: Hi folks One of the great things with QEMU/KVM VM's is that you can boot from physical devices INSIDE THE VM (and not just ISO's)-- I needed to restore a W10 VM as I'd hosed it up with some silly networking parameter errors etc. With the latest kernels you can Hot plug USB...
  9. VMWare VM in Hpyer V

VMWare VM in Hpyer V: HI Folks, Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't want Hyper V and VMWare working together on the same OS. . .bummer. . .*Tongue 43374
  10. KVM - Windows 10 VM running with IE

KVM - Windows 10 VM running with IE: Hi there Here's another VM running under KVM -- W10 showing IE running on it. [img] Cheers jimbo 47655