Windows 10: Future Update (Not Upgrade) Cost (If any)

Discus and support Future Update (Not Upgrade) Cost (If any) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I read lots of mail on how the Upgrade is FREE, but nowhere do I see anything about the cost (or no cost) of Windows 10 Updates. Is that policy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by w1ksz, Jul 27, 2015.

1. w1ksz Win User

Future Update (Not Upgrade) Cost (If any)

I read lots of mail on how the Upgrade is FREE, but nowhere do I see anything
    about the cost (or no cost) of Windows 10 Updates.

Is that policy spelled out anywhere of do I just wait and hope ??

Thanks,

rs

:)

w1ksz, Jul 27, 2015

2. Upgrading Windows 10 more than once

After downgrading to Windows 8.1 from (upgraded) Windows 10, is there any option of again upgrading to Windows 10 in future free of cost?

PranayLadiwala, Jul 27, 2015
  3. If we not get any future update of WP 8 to WP 7.5 devices than we stop purchasing new WP devices which contains WP 7.5 OS?

Microsoft will provide the OS update to the OEMs and carriers and [unfortunately] the OEMs and carriers will update existing devices as they see fit.

I suppose it is possible that some older phones' hardware may not meet new specifications to run future windows phone OS updates, but Microsoft has not stated that existing phones will not be upgradable. The only information out there about this subject
    are unconfirmed rumors and speculation. I hope my phone will be updated, so I'm waiting to see...that's really all we can do at this point...

Julie fka profjulie, Jul 27, 2015
  4. Future Update (Not Upgrade) Cost (If any)

fracking4oil, Jul 27, 2015
  5. w1ksz Win User
    w1ksz, Jul 27, 2015
  6. The "horses mouth" is right there in the posted article.

7. Fires Win User
    Please provide a rigorous definition of "supported lifetime of the device".

Fires, Jul 27, 2015
  8. Future Update (Not Upgrade) Cost (If any)

MS hasn't clarified this yet, but they have promised a minimum of 36 months of support starting on the operating system's launch date. It appears that the "supported lifetime of the device" pertains more so to mobile devices than PCs.

Here's a little tidbit from PC World.

9. Mystere Win User
    That's an old article. Since that time, Microsoft has published their lifecycle for Windows 10, and they've committed to 10 years of support (2025).

Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

Mystere, Jul 27, 2015
  10. wase4711 Win User
    like anyone keeps a device for 10 years...thank you planned obsolescence..

wase4711, Jul 27, 2015
  11. w1ksz Win User
    All I see is the good news about a free upgrade, but no mention of updates. May be just me,
    but there is a big difference between the two.
    rs

w1ksz, Jul 27, 2015
  12. labeeman Win User
    I still have a machine with Windows 95 on it and I still use it to calibrate flow meters with.

labeeman, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Future Update (Not Upgrade) Cost (If any)

1. Future Update (Not Upgrade) Cost (If any) - Similar Threads - Future Update Upgrade

2. Cost to Upgrade to Windows 11 pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cost to Upgrade to Windows 11 pro: If I have Windows 10 - already upgraded to windows 11 on my computer come pre installed when purchasedHow much do I have to pay to upgrade to Windows 11 pro? And how do I do it?...
  3. Cost to Upgrade to Windows 11 pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cost to Upgrade to Windows 11 pro: If I have Windows 10 - already upgraded to windows 11 on my computer come pre installed when purchasedHow much do I have to pay to upgrade to Windows 11 pro? And how do I do it?...
  4. Future upgrades to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Future upgrades to Windows 10: Hi, I just updated my Windows 10 and as part of the upgrade I had to get a phone call with a code that was sent to my landline phone. I then entered the code into the computer and Widows let me on. As I went through this process this time I think I saw a note that in the...
  5. Urge Cost-free Upgrade to W10

Urge Cost-free Upgrade to W10: Due to a query in another MS Tech Forum, this may well be worth a mention. Some people may not be aware of this or their understanding may be not quite accurate. Windows 7 & 8 machines CAN be upgraded to Windows 10 at no cost. The idea that the only way is to purchase a...
  6. Update cost

Update cost: Is there a cost for the latest windows 10 update? My machine is asking me to update with no mention of cost. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-cost/69da9305-1105-4a91-8b02-0b11685e6220
  7. to win10 upgrade and cost

to win10 upgrade and cost: how do i upgrade my laptop from win7 to win10 and how much it cost? * Moved from insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/to-win10-upgrade-and-cost/1b6376e1-2d10-41ef-b25b-247c0fde6b5e
  8. Preparing for a Future Free Upgrade

Preparing for a Future Free Upgrade: 100 days from today, the free upgrade off ends. If I were to install a free copy of 10 onto a thumb drive (or DVD), and then buy a used 7 or 8 laptop after the free upgrade offer expires, could I install 10 for free from the thumb drive? 47869
  9. Cost of Upgrade from XP to Win10Pro

Cost of Upgrade from XP to Win10Pro: I am considering buying a new-used system that still has the original XP on it, probably not Pro. I want to install Win10Pro on it from ISO. AFAIK, there is no free upgrade from XP, so does anybody know how much a Pro license costs? The installation will prompt me...
  10. Future Edge Updates

in Windows 10 News
    Future Edge Updates: Edge browser to decouple from Windows 10 and receive more frequent features updates via the Store. Don't know that this will be enough to increase market share but step in right direction. http://www.computerworld.com/article...indows-10.html "Users will finally be able...