Windows 10: Future version of Windows?

Discus and support Future version of Windows? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have read many confusing things about the future of Windows. Windows 10 should be the latest version of Windows, with no Windows 11. On the other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Olive, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Olive Win User

Future version of Windows?

I have read many confusing things about the future of Windows. Windows 10 should be the latest version of Windows, with no Windows 11. On the other hand, Microsoft announces the end of mainstream support for Windows 10 for October 13, 2020 and the end of extended support for October 14 2025 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet). What is supposed to happen afterward? After October 13, 2020 what will be the Windows version that will be mainstream supported? This new policy of Microsoft seems very confusing for me. What will happen with no longer supported devices? Will you be able to run them without updates as was the case for prior versions of Windows?

:)

Olive, Jul 4, 2017

2. new idea for a future version of the pc suite

not really, in itunes you can set an auto sync for everything but not one folder. but being a sync that would still pick up your new podcasts (wouldnt be to slow if you are not using a full 60gb for instance) Future version of Windows? ;)

you can do the same with windows media player 10, so maybe there is no need to do this for pc suite?

sister_bliss, Jul 4, 2017
  3. new idea for a future version of the pc suite

I'm sure this must of been thought of but as I've never had any sort of mp3 player i don't know.

anyway, i know the PC suite can download content from the phone to a PC and sync automatically ect... but how about giving the PC suite the ability to automatically upload content to the phone when new content is found in a specific folder on the PC. where
    this would come in handy would be for us folks who download pod casts on a weekly basis, if the pod casts were placed into a folder on the PC and then when the phone connected to the PC the pod cast could be uploaded automatically for listening to at a later
    date on the phone?

i suppose someone is now going to tell me this is exactly what happens with an ipod?

rich_enduro---01, Jul 4, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

How can Microsoft eventually end support of the last OS they say they will ever make ?

AddRAM, Jul 4, 2017
  5. swarfega Win User
    swarfega, Jul 4, 2017
  6. Olive Win User
    @swarfega On the page I link; they say the "latest update or service pack" is Version 1703 (the creators update released a few month ago) and they announce the "end of support" (mainstream and extended) in the two columns just next to it. Nowhere is the initial build 10240 mentioned. Or is it the end of support for the build version 1703 that they announce? Why then they announce nothing for the previous builds?

It seems that the different build versions are just the equivalent of monolithic releases like before. The only thing that has changed is that you have less control of the update process, at least for the home version (you can control updates just like before with the group policy editor in the professional version).

It seems that Microsoft has stated many contradictory things... Why are there not able to communicate in a clear way.

Olive, Jul 4, 2017
  7. Mystere Win User
    Version 1703 has the end of life stated in the article. There is a new version set to be released in the fall, called the Fall Creators Release (or Redstone 3). That will get a new end of life once it's released. These are more like service packs than full new releases.

There won't be a Windows 11, but there will be continuing Windows 10 releases, just like Apple has OS X, with various releases.

Mystere, Jul 4, 2017
  8. Barman58 Win User

There are conflicting interpretations of the long term status of Windows (10)

There has been an end of life date stated, for Windows 10, in the same way and calculation as all previous recent versions based on a 10 Year cycle. This is I believe a legal "requirement", (Microsoft is quoted on the stock markets so have to comply with certain conventions), but as is obvious from the situation with Windows XP the initial life cycle is the Minimum and is not chiseled in stone *Wink

I expect that at some time in the, (near?), Future Windows 10 will morph into Windows which would in a way convert it into a "Service" (Pay once use forever type as has been stated by Microsoft *Wink ), rather than a Product Version which by it's nature needs an expiry date. Obviously a rolling update model for an operating system will necessitate changes in hardware support - The Windows OS current in Five Years time may not support the Hardware currently supported (this is stated in the fine print for the current version). You will also be required to keep the system updated to continue support (60Day Grace period)

The latest Information I have for actual dates for current and recent past Windows Versions is ...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...cle-fact-sheet

Barman58, Jul 4, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    It would make sense to drop the 10 moniker.
    @Olive thanks for pointing that out.

swarfega, Jul 4, 2017
  10. Makio9 Win User
    There will always be another edition of Windows after the current one. If you look at how mobile operating systems work, the new hardware found in newer devices cannot run the older operating systems. Windows can keep rolling out over the air updates, but it would become very confusing for people what versions of Windows they are running -- say, if you wanted to troubleshoot something. A new name solves that problem and is the logical solution.

Makio9, Jul 7, 2017
  11. I'm surprised hey haven't dropped the 10 already. It's the build number that matters these days. Anytime somebody has an issue one of the first questions is what build are you running. Saying I'm running Windows 10 just doesn't cut it anymore.

alphanumeric, Jul 7, 2017
  12. I am sure they will eventually, but 10 will have to reach at least 90% and it is far from it, so they need 10 to distinguish it from other Windows. I estimate 3-4 years. XP-7 will become obsolete without driver support.

TairikuOkami, Jul 7, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

The stated limits are purely for commercial protection. It would be commercially insane to promise support for ever. Suppose MS decided to pull out of providing OSs anymore, they could get heavily sued if they did not provide support indefinitely.

They will simply extend the support period nearer the time - that's all.

cereberus, Jul 7, 2017
  14. DavidY Win User
    However the end of life date shown on that page for 1703 is the same as it was for 1507/10240.
    If the end of life was changing as you suggest, one would expect the date for 1703 to be almost 2 years later than it was for 1507.
    (In fact I did expect this until they changed the version mentioned on that page from 1507 to 1703 when that was released, without moving the date.)

Edit: What's more an issue for me is that a new version of Windows 10 can break compatibility with certain hardware, and suddenly you only have 2 years of support or less for that machine. I have a machine which won't run Creators' Update because they broke compatibility with a Broadcom driver. Microsoft have said they have a fix, but they could easily have abandoned that hardware, and I expect that will start to happen.
    (In which case I might have been better off reverting to Windows 8.1 which could well be supported longer than Windows 10.)

DavidY, Jul 7, 2017
  15. Barman58 Win User
    Of course, It's bad when drivers do not work with a new version of an OS, but this sort of compatibility is Not a Microsoft Issue. Microsoft does not write drivers for anything other than their own hardware. Microsoft makes the OS available In sufficient time for hardware manufacturers to adapt or re-write Drivers in time for release. Most manufacturers are perfectly compliant with this but some have in the past decided to use this as an excuse to push sales of newer products or for other reasons not been able to comply with the agreement they signed to be awarded "works with" or Designed For" Windows nnn logo

The issue with the EOL date could just be a compliance Issue, they are providing one EOL as they have always done, under the current practice and at some time in the future the whole system will be revised and a rolling EOL will be created for the new sales/technical model

Barman58, Jul 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Future version of Windows? - Similar Threads - Future version

2. future version of windows 11 possibly windows 11 24H1 oe Windows 12 should have the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    future version of windows 11 possibly windows 11 24H1 oe Windows 12 should have the...: Intel, AMD, and others if there are more Windowsawhen a Windows user feels it necessary to restart Windows after a virus scanwhen it is necessary to restart Windows after Windows updateor after uninstalling some software that requires Windows restartor some software...
  3. future version of windows 11 possibly windows 11 24H1 oe Windows 12 should have the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    future version of windows 11 possibly windows 11 24H1 oe Windows 12 should have the...: Intel, AMD, and others if there are more Windowsawhen a Windows user feels it necessary to restart Windows after a virus scanwhen it is necessary to restart Windows after Windows updateor after uninstalling some software that requires Windows restartor some software...
  4. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...: can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newthread?threadtype=Questions&cancelurl=%2Fen-us%2Fpage%2FgettingstartedIs there a place to officially make suggestions? You know, someone to direct questions at?...
  5. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

in Windows 10 Customization
    can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...: can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/newthread?threadtype=Questions&cancelurl=%2Fen-us%2Fpage%2FgettingstartedIs there a place to officially make suggestions? You know, someone to direct questions at?...
  6. can THIS FOLLOWING LINK be an option in future versions of Windows please?...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Microsoft will remove the Paint 3D menu item as well in future versions of Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will remove the Paint 3D menu item as well in future versions of Windows 10: Microsoft revealed plans some time ago to remove the Windows 10 applications Paint 3D, 3D Viewer and the 3D Objects Folder. The removal is applied to new installations only at this point and not upgraded installations of Windows 10. Windows 10 users may install Paint 3D and...
  8. Here’s what’s coming in future versions of Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Here’s what’s coming in future versions of Windows 10: Windows 10 May 2020 Update was recently released to consumers, but unlike some previous feature updates, version 2004 doesn’t introduce a bunch of major features. It does include several useful tweaks to the operating system, such as the option to move Cortana window, reset...
  9. If I purchase Windows 10 Pro now, will that include future updates and Windows versions?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If I purchase Windows 10 Pro now, will that include future updates and Windows versions?: If I purchase Windows 10 Pro now, will that include future updates and Windows versions? If it will not include future Windows versions, when is the next Windows version expected?...
  10. Interesting future feature in a old version.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Interesting future feature in a old version.: Before upgrading my PC to 20H1, I wanna tell that I am weirdly having one 20H1 feature in a 1909 version. I am not an insider volunteer, but still having this thing. I even checked my colleagues up to date PCs where they are not having this feature. It actually happened when...