Windows 10: FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD

Discus and support FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; *YouTube video player 26762 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by topgundcp, Oct 17, 2015.

1. topgundcp Win User

FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD

*YouTube video player

:)

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2015

2. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, Oct 17, 2015
  3. JohnCPR Win User
    How do I set the UEFI boot select as default for indows 10

I have solved my problem by focussing on the USB connections. I had 2 HD external drives and a Flash drive connected to USB ports before a rearrangement of internal drives by a qualified technician to transfer the boot drive from a 256GB SSD to a 1TB SSD.
    I removed the external drives before the service.

My understanding is that the same software was transferred from one to the other. After the transfer, I assumed the PC would behave the same as it previously did when removing and replacing the external USB drives. I have since discovered that my problem
    was to have replaced the USB drives before starting the PC. A process to allow for a recovery boot from another location than the C drive comes to mind.

Replacing the external USB drives after starting my PC solved my problem.

JohnCPR, Oct 17, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Dino, nice tut. I'm gonna link to this in the 1st post in my Macrium update thread.

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    In Eight Forums too*Smile

Cliff S, Oct 17, 2015
  6. PeterFragon, Oct 17, 2015
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Thank you for the link. However, I am really sure if it has anything to do with Macrium Rescue Environment.
    Cheers.

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2015
  8. FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD

yeah I see they are not used for the same purpose.. Skimmed your post instead of really reading it.

Apologies

PeterFragon, Oct 17, 2015
  9. pyramid10 Win User
    In step 3, GPT was mentioned versus MBR. In the example, the choice is between UEFI and MBR.

pyramid10, Oct 17, 2015
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Nice work. *Cool

For those (like myself) too slow to hit F12 to bring up the bios menu you can also add an entry to the Windows bootmenu by editing the BCD store and pointing to the partition ID where Macrium's Rescue is installed. Or a network share for that matter.

There are still a number of possibilities I need to check and there's also the question of how to patch the rescue media without having to rebuild the entire thing from scratch.
    Unless someone has already done that perhaps ?

Anyway, you just can not not love this little programme. It's absolutely brilliant. *Homer Drooling

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Oct 17, 2015
  11. topgundcp Win User
    @fdegrove
    That would be back to dual booting which we try to avoid in the first place and Macrium does provide that option.

However, here's another way to boot Macrium without doing much of the work:
    • Make a copy of boot.wim from the rescue disk and rename it to: WinRe.wim
    • Replace the file WinRe.wim from Recovery Partition with the above.
    • Win+X->Restart with SHIFT Key pressed or from Admin Command Prompt: shutdown /r /f /t 00
      will restart the PC into recovery environment. Click on any item will bring up Macrium.
    Cheers.

topgundcp, Oct 17, 2015
  12. hello.
    I have used the tutorial from the op, but when i use Active command, i receive an error.

my spec: win 10 and macrium reflect iso v6.1.1225 x64

blueskyler, May 19, 2016
  13. THX1138 Win User

Unfortunately, this tutorial seems to assume a certain starting position with Macrium Rescue and doesn't state was that position is. Am I supposed to create a Macrium Windows PE 2.0 .iso first and start from there?

THX1138, Oct 7, 2016
  14. nice tutorial. the thing i like with gpt partitions, you dont have to make them active.

freemannnn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External/USB HD/SSD - Similar Threads - FYI Setup Macrium

2. Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning HD to SSD using Macrium, not booting up.: Hello, I am trying to replace my HD with SSD using Macrium Reflect 7. But after successfully cloning my hard drive and install the SSD to my laptop, it won't boot. It's stuck with a blank screen and only showing the mouse pointer. My HD and SSD are showing both GPT so not...
  3. macrium rescue failed to see a USB-SSD

macrium rescue failed to see a USB-SSD: i just restored a macrium image of the whole C:-drive. i had bought an SSD to make it run fast(er), but rescue-media was unable to see the SSD, so i ended up using the copy on a NAS. some 20 hours later the system is back up, but i'm wondering what went wrong. attached a...
  4. Internal SSD HD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal SSD HD: I have an Asus which appears to have internally shorted out. The SSD HD has a ribbon cable attached. From what Ive been reading, I may be able to use this drive externally in a little case with a usb (sata-usb) device. Is this possible? The windows 10 operating system also...
  5. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  6. Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Macrium Rescue USB Won't Boot: Today I received a new Alienware r11 PC, UEFI Firmware. I created a Macrium Rescue USB but when I tried to boot from it the option wasn't available. I've disable Secure Boot but other then that I've done nothing to the firmware since this is my first UEFI PC. These are the...
  7. Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD

Boot Macrium Rescue from Internal SSD: In addition to adding Macrium Recovery to my boot menu and having a bootable USB, I always set up a bootable partition on one of my HDs per this thread by @topgundep, FYI: Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal/External USB HD/SSD. It always worked flawlessly giving me...
  8. Macrium reflect rescue usb problem

Macrium reflect rescue usb problem: Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device is my pen drive. 28084
  9. Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure

Macrium Reflect rescue USB drive failure: Macrium rescue USB stick doesn't find the Precision Touchpad, rescue media loads without the cursor, I can not use the CD as my laptop doesn't have the DVD drive, any help is much appreciated. 68296
  10. Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD

Macrium - Setup Macrium Rescue to boot from an Internal SSD: Hey Guys I was a poster on the SevenForums, but it appears that usernames and logins don't transfer from there? Anyhow ive registered a new account here to post my (hopefully simple) query: Ive just followed Brinks amazing Clean Install W10 without having to upgrade...