Windows 10: Gaining permission to WD hard drive

Discus and support Gaining permission to WD hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've recently tried to get my WD my world book, external hard drive going on a new laptop. Managed to install everything and it now shows on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stephen12331989, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Gaining permission to WD hard drive

I've recently tried to get my WD my world book, external hard drive going on a new laptop.
    Managed to install everything and it now shows on my network on laptop. But when I try opening the folder I get an message saying

"MYBOOKWORLD is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find if you have access permissions. A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated. "

I'm currently on windows 10, can anyone help me access it from new laptop.

Thanks in advance

:)

stephen12331989, Dec 9, 2016

2. can't access my external hdd

Hello

Quick Fix 1. Solve 'Access Denied' error with error checking tool

Error checking tool is a built-in tool in Windows system for checking and fixing device errors. If you have access problems on your hard drive, USB, SD card or file folders, you can follow below guidelines to fix 'Access Denied' error on your device now:

1. Connect inaccessible device such as hard drive, external hard drive, USB or SD card with PC;

2. Open This PC/My Computer > Right-click on inaccessible device or file folder and select Properties;

3. Tab on Tools > Click Check/Check Now.

If this fixes your problem, you can directly open your drive and continue using data on it.

If this doesn’t work, try Quick Fix 2 to continue fixing 'Access Denied' error on your devices.

Quick Fix 2. Gain permissions to inaccessible hard drive, USB or file folder

If you don’t have permissions to access the protected hard drive or USB, files etc, you would not be able to open the drive and even get 'access denied' error message.

So your another choice is to gain permissions to inaccessible hard drive, USB or file folders:

1. Right-click inaccessible hard drive, USB or file folder and select Properties;

2. Go to Security, click Advanced and navigate to the Owner tab;

3. Click on Edit, click your user name under Group or user name

4. Check all boxes under Allow column and click OK, then click Apply to gain permissions to access your inaccessible device.

Get permission to access inaccessible device.

If that does not work, there are other alternatives like using a linux OS to access the drive and change permissions or us a third party tool

MikeSnyder61704, Dec 9, 2016
  3. allanC Win User
    Installing new hard drive and moving windows 10 to it?

The Acronis True Image WD requires you have one WD hard drive. I have like 3 WD external hard drives, but it seems it requires internal hard drive to operate, not sure, but most likely.

allanC, Dec 9, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

Gaining permission to WD hard drive

Is it logon passworded?

try accessing it using the IP address in windows explorer (not the web browser) and then logging on when asked for details...this SHOULD refresh W10 with the correct logon details...

I've had similar issues with networked drives and this solved it for me.

Wullail, Dec 9, 2016
  5. Yes but only with the standard admin - admin details.
    Would it be somewere there on here ....

Gaining permission to WD hard drive [​IMG]

stephen12331989, Dec 9, 2016
  6. Wullail Win User
    What I had to do here with my WD passport drive was go into Windows Explorer and type in the drives IP address in the top bar , this then forced the system to ask me for the logon details, after which the PC was able to access the drives as normal.

Wullail, Dec 10, 2016
  7. Tried this and it just takes me to

same when I click

stephen12331989, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Gaining permission to WD hard drive

1. Gaining permission to WD hard drive - Similar Threads - Gaining permission hard

2. Can not open WD Smartware hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not open WD Smartware hard drive: Hi, I can not open my external WD driver on windows 10, I have looked at their homepage but I can't see any utlities for it. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you in advance 181285
  3. Can not open WD Smartware hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Can not open WD Smartware hard drive: Hi, I can not open my external WD driver on windows 10, I have looked at their homepage but I can't see any utlities for it. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you in advance 181285
  4. CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    CHKDSK on 1TB WD Passport external hard drive: Hi - could an external hard drive get damaged when CHKDSK is running and the computer is shutdown is performed from the Start menu or by pressing the power button? Background: I suspect a process was running when a 1T WD passport with 670 GB of data became disconnected...
  5. WD My passport External hard drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WD My passport External hard drive not working: The name and bar showing up shows fine, but when I try to download something it automatically goes to the C:/original hard drive. It ends up saying disk space full because my disk space on C:/ is full. How do I set up My Passport so it can take in files?...
  6. Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Attempted cloning a WD 8TB usb hard drive to another WD 8TB usb hard drive using Macrium...: The clone failed. Is there a maximum drive size that M-R Clone drive will clone? After 8+ years of no failures whatsoever with M-R I was surprised. TIA Dennis...
  7. WD My Passport external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WD My Passport external hard drive: I am CONSTANTLY prompted to Re-Connect my Backup harddrive bc some files did not backup. I try to look at files but cant open and the files are tiny. SHOULD I BE WORRIED ABOUT TROJAN FILES ? Are they old orphan files from some uninstalled app. I KNOW, a list of files and...
  8. Gaining permission to an old hard drive files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Gaining permission to an old hard drive files: Hi. I have an old hard drive with which I decided to copy it's data to a new HDD, I had a OS installed on it (probably windows xp) when I decided not to use it. Now that I decide to copy its data from C drive, It says you don't have access and you need to fix the premission...
  9. WD going crazy with permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WD going crazy with permissions: So it seems that since I booted my laptop this morning, Windows Defender went crazy with permissions, blocking both Firefox and Set Point Device (Mouse) from doing changes to the Desktop folder. I also wasn't able at first to copy files from my external HDD to my laptop....
  10. Windows 10: WD Hard Drive under Devices and Drives in This PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10: WD Hard Drive under Devices and Drives in This PC: Despite the fact that my Hard Drive is working properly, as noted by the device manager, it doesn't show up under Devices and Drives and I don't know how to access the files inside the Hard Drive. 80392