Windows 10: Game install sizes

Discus and support Game install sizes in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I don't play a whole load of games. Not that I wouldn't like to but the children dominate the TVs and our time. By the time they are in bed my wife and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Scottyboy99, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Game install sizes

I don't play a whole load of games. Not that I wouldn't like to but the children dominate the TVs and our time. By the time they are in bed my wife and i are too exhausted after the working day and sorting family life out. I tried playing Fifa online the other night and fell asleep during a match.

anyway tonight I finally got a decent chance to go on the Xbox one. I had a boxed copy of halo 5 guardians I bought a while back. So I thought ok, install it and maybe there will be a few gigs patch after that. I nearly fell off my chair when on top of the approx 50 gig install it went online to download another 40 odd gigs. The whole install comes to 90 gigs. Aside from wasting two hours waiting it has also gobbled up most of the internal storage. I'm now too tired to try it out. I'm lucky enough to have a decent enough broadband speed of 60 megabits but many still toil on much slower speeds so such large updates seems over the top. But is this really the norm nowadays? I thought games taking 30-40 gigs was extreme but this is nearly 100 gigs install size. It's a bit alarming. Please tell me that halo 5 is a one off!

:)

Scottyboy99, Aug 18, 2017
  2. LCRT Win User

Can't download asphalt 8

I'm pretty sure you dont have enough space to download and install the game. The above suggestion will perhaps go around some of those problems, but I don't know if it'll still be enough free space for that game. The size shown in the store is the DOWNLOAD
    size. Installation sizes tend to be much larger.

3. unable to download gameloft games(as per offer) in lumia 525

might be due to the size of the game. i usually give myself at least four times the size of the installation file, to take up for the game itself. in this case, i would try and free up another GB or so if you can.

adrianhughesNSD, Aug 18, 2017
  4. Game install sizes

100 GB install size is pretty rare, but 50-60 GB installs are becoming more and more common these days, on both Xbox and PC.

According to Complete List of Xbox One Install Sizes - over 350 Titles | finder.com, Halo 5: Guardians is the second largest Xbox One game in terms of install size (~98 GB), behind only Gears of War at 116 GB. The third largest is the Halo: Master Chief Collection at around 63 GB. So, yeah, it seems like you just managed to get one of the larger game installs in the entire XB1 library.

blackroseMD1, Aug 18, 2017
  5. Don't be surprised to see 50 GB+ on modern games. It's about graphic quality and on line content. BF1 is 60GB, BF4 a little older is 44GB. GOW4 is also over the top at 114GB. A very old game like BFBC2 is only 8GB and you can see it in poor graphic quality compared to more modern games. COD IW is 93GB, Doom 67GB, GTA V 71GB, Ghost Recon Wildlands 53GB. So you get the picture.

Game install sizes [​IMG]

specialkone, Aug 18, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
    You can always compress games directories - in my experience without any impact on performance at all.

For example compact /c /s:"C:\Steam" /i /f /exe:xpress16k

It doesn't help with download size but does with disk use.

7. If you're really squeezed for space, you can just enable NTFS compression on the drive that your games are installed (be careful if it's C drive, Windows might not boot). It's a feature that's been built into Windows for a long time. You can also do this on a per-folder/per-file basis. Just right click on the drive/folder/file you want to compress, go to Properties. There should be an "Advanced" box near the bottom, select the appropriate option, then click Apply then OK. It might take awhile depending on your CPU, RAM, and drive speed. I've done it before, in my experience it does slow games down (especially newer ones, old ones should run fine), so only do it if you feel like you have to.

AnonVendetta, Aug 18, 2017
  8. Game install sizes

Thanks guys. I had no idea things were getting so large! I'll avoid gears of war then. I will just buy an external hard drive at some point. I guess I find it odd that a graphical stunner like crysis 1 manages to only be a fifth of the size and look just as good. But I guess it's the multiplayer content that swells things on halo. Thanks for that install size link, that will be a useful point of reference

Scottyboy99, Aug 18, 2017
  9. swarfega Win User
    Hitman was about 40gig and Mass Effect Andromeda was 60, I am not sure why they are getting so large, don't they use compression any more?

swarfega, Aug 18, 2017
  10. As @specialkone has pointed out, graphics and online content are the biggest reasons why games are getting so big. Textures especially take up a lot of space, just keep in mind that (generally) the better a game looks, the bigger it will be. Game graphics are already approaching real-life quality, and there's VR too. I remember back in the days, people thought a game that was several gigs was huge. But back then, hard drives weren't as big either. Now storage space is cheap and plentiful.

AnonVendetta, Aug 18, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    Wolfenstein 3D installed on a floppy lol.

swarfega, Aug 18, 2017
  12. Helmut Win User
    Defender in 16 KB, LOL.
    It's all relative....

Helmut, Aug 18, 2017
  13. swarfega Win User

Game install sizes

Indeed I remember the size of the Spectrum games which were larger than the zx81 counterparts lol.

swarfega, Aug 18, 2017
  14. Yes, I remember games like Microprose Pacific Air Wars. If I remember correctly, back to 1994, had to install it with about a dozen diskettes, then in DOS mode, had to disable CD Rom to free up memory for the game to run, had to LH (load high) various resources. Loved the game at the time. Found this video. Look at the graphic quality *ROFLMAO2

[youtube]dl3Q_PqLk8M[/youtube]

I'll take 60GB games, Nvidia turf effects and fire, HTFS shadows and "expensive" GPU's to run those amazing graphic features over the old days. But the old days were still fun.

specialkone, Aug 18, 2017
  15. Dude Win User
    [youtube]HcF2KI7y3CY[/youtube]

Thema:

Game install sizes

1. Game install sizes - Similar Threads - Game install sizes

2. My game captures arent the right size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My game captures arent the right size: My captures going through xbox game bar are leaving black borders around the recording. The video itself is significantly smaller than my actual screen size. Pretty much, I think the resolution is recording way smaller than it should be and I can't find the setting to change...
  3. program or game huge size.

in Windows 10 Customization
    program or game huge size.: I just want to say can programs or game can get smaller in size smilar to android the coding of game is very big this is because windows is not created for apps. or remake the windows again....
  4. Games size too big

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games size too big: So I wanted to download a game and for eg lets take the game "hollow knight" for now. So I searched up its size on steam and it said that its 3.5 gb something and when i went to xbox app the download size is 7gb can someone explain why?...
  5. Windows installed size ballooned

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows installed size ballooned: My computer has been sending me notifications that it is low on disk space for C: (has just over 50GB on that partition) and when I click the notification it says system and researve is 81GB, clicking into that is 67.5GB of system files that windows won't work without. Now...
  6. Microsoft Store installing apps but not a game over 100gb in size.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store installing apps but not a game over 100gb in size.: So the Microsoft store installs apps just fine, "Netflix" for example. But when trying to install Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, I click the install button and it litterally does nothing. I've logged out and back in. I've used "WSReset.exe". I've deleted the Cache in...
  7. Does anyone know how to fix the size of installed games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does anyone know how to fix the size of installed games?: Currently I can barely see the picture for one of my games I have downloaded, and it just genuinely annoys me.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/does-anyone-know-how-to-fix-the-size-of-installed/32a0bf66-021c-40f0-8bec-b1c2f81d2a5f
  8. wrong size for games in facebook

in Windows 10 Customization
    wrong size for games in facebook: when ever I want to play games in Facebook I am faced with these issues. it takes ages to load or it freezes half way. it loads completely, but stops and I can't actually play any of the games. when I want to return to a game it won't load or it says use another...
  9. Finding size of installed Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Finding size of installed Updates: G'day, I have a recently purchased Asus notebook with Windows 10, build 15063, pre-installed and am concerned about the size, MBs, of any Updates which have occured since. Have looked at "Installed Updates" but it does convey the size of the Updates. Can you please help me to...
  10. Game Size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Size: What is the real size of Forza 7? The Windows store said: [ATTACH] I'm currently on: [ATTACH] I feel as if I've been sold something under false pretences. Is there any comeback or word from Microsoft on what is happening? What is the real size? Can I get a refund?...