Windows 10: Games crash-restarting, system files not running a week after new laptop purchase

Discus and support Games crash-restarting, system files not running a week after new laptop purchase in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Greetings, I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS, purchased in a 'Like New' condition off Amazon ~a week ago. Since day one, I've encountered minor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OverLordGoldDragon, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Games crash-restarting, system files not running a week after new laptop purchase

Greetings,

I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS, purchased in a 'Like New' condition off Amazon ~a week ago. Since day one, I've encountered minor problems ranging from desktop right-click taking an eternity to slight performance issues such as 'microstuttering' in gaming and scrolling through sites. The next day I installed the first game, Depth - which soon crashed to restart (CTR'd). Tried a far less intensive game, No More Room in Hell - ran fine for two days, then CTR'd also. The crash process is always the same: the game freezes for a few seconds, then the PC reboots.

Today, most Windows applications failed to run at all - starting with Microsoft Edge which got stuck on a blank screen and was unclickable, then other apps that either failed to load at all or did not function (clicking options did nothing, couldn't type in boxes). Games still worked, however - but also CTR'd. ASUS support directed toward a Windows Refresh, which I've done - and things appear to be working fine now (except for games, which I haven't tested yet). Additional info

Is all of this indicative of an unhealthy system? Even if I don't see problems further a while down, I have a reason for concern: I haven't done anything* to cause such performance failures, and I don't see why a new laptop would break on its own (and so soon) this way. Should I consider returning the laptop?

* - the only cause I can think of would be undervolting, which I executed following this guide using Intel XTU, offsetting to -0.090V and running a successful 30-min CPU stress test. The problem, however, persisted even after I undid the voltage offset and reset it to zero.

:)

OverLordGoldDragon, Jul 6, 2018
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Jul 6, 2018
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Jul 6, 2018
  4. Games crash-restarting, system files not running a week after new laptop purchase

Wanting to run old games

Hi Jameson,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

I would suggest you to refer the below link and check the compatibility of the game with Windows 10.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/CompatCenter/Home

You may also try installing the game in compatibility mode.
    Follow these steps to install the game software in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

• Right-click on the game setup file and click on
            ‘properties’.

• Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box
            ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 8 operating system from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to get in touch with the game manufacturer if it’s specific to that particular game.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

Games crash-restarting, system files not running a week after new laptop purchase

1. Games crash-restarting, system files not running a week after new laptop purchase - Similar Threads - Games crash restarting

2. games crashing and system restarting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    games crashing and system restarting: Hi, I have recently built my own pc and at first everything ran smoothly for around 3 months.Then recently games have been consistently crashing after around 10 minutes of playing. I'm currently using an i7 processor and a 16 GB ddr5 ram.I have tried reinstalling windows and...
  3. games crashing and system restarting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    games crashing and system restarting: Hi, I have recently built my own pc and at first everything ran smoothly for around 3 months.Then recently games have been consistently crashing after around 10 minutes of playing. I'm currently using an i7 processor and a 16 GB ddr5 ram.I have tried reinstalling windows and...
  4. Games crashing and system crashing/restarting/no blue screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Games crashing and system crashing/restarting/no blue screen: Hello MS team, I recently was having game crash issues and have since added more ram. Now I am still having the issues but its becoming more often. Most times the crash occurs it will crash the program game but a few times it has crashed the whole system. No blue screen, I...
  5. Games crashing and system crashing/restarting/no blue screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Games crashing and system crashing/restarting/no blue screen: Hello MS team, I recently was having game crash issues and have since added more ram. Now I am still having the issues but its becoming more often. Most times the crash occurs it will crash the program game but a few times it has crashed the whole system. No blue screen, I...
  6. Games crashing and system crashing/restarting/no blue screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Games crashing after System File Checker scan

Games crashing after System File Checker scan: My login time was quite long, so I did a System File Checker scan which helped, however now when I play games like dota 2 or rainbow six siege they just crash without any error. i reinstalled my display drivers, verified the game files and updated my windows as well but...
  8. Games crashing after System File Checker scan

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Games crashing after System File Checker scan: My login time was quite long, so I did a System File Checker scan which helped, however now when I play games like dota 2 or rainbow six siege they just crash without any error. What should I do now ?...
  9. BSOD on a new build after running fine for a week

BSOD on a new build after running fine for a week: Just built a new PC and it's been running fine until getting a BSOD today after a game crashing a few times. Attached the V2 and DM zips, hoping someone knows what the cause may be. DESKTOP-6F344N1-(2019-07-15_22-15-17).zip DESKTOP-6F344N1-2019-07-15_221900_96.zip 136683
  10. New laptop crashes to restart during gaming

New laptop crashes to restart during gaming: Greetings, I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS (https://amzn.to/2NukFdz), purchased in a 'Like New' condition off Amazon ~a week ago. All's working fine, except games sometimes crash to restart (CTR). The crash process is always the same: the game freezes for a few seconds,...