Windows 10: Games with square-ish resolutions stretch on rectangular monitor

Discus and support Games with square-ish resolutions stretch on rectangular monitor in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm currently having problems with Intel Integrated Graphics stretching full screen games lengthwise to the width of the monitor. Ideally, I want the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by bigyihsuan, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Games with square-ish resolutions stretch on rectangular monitor

I'm currently having problems with Intel Integrated Graphics stretching full screen games lengthwise to the width of the monitor. Ideally, I want the game to be scaled to the height of the monitor, and keep the original aspect ratio.

I've found for some of my games, running on compatibility mode and forced 640x480 resolution works, but for the games that need a 1280x960 full screen resolution, it (obviously) doesn't work and I'm forced to play with the screen stretched out.

I've followed guides online that say it fixes it, and it definitely worked on a Windows 8/8.1, but 10 seems to keep stretching it to the monitor width.

HP Pavilion dm4 laptop (Intel i5), connected to a Gateway FPD1975W 1440x900 monitor via a VGA cable.

:)

bigyihsuan, Jun 20, 2016
  2. jrowla Win User

Resolution

There must have been an update. I have no control over the resolution on my monitor. Everything is stretched from square icons to rectangular. I only have two resolution selections and changing them doesn't help.

I have also had SLEEP removed from my power settings selections.

Can someone help?

John

jrowla, Jun 20, 2016
  3. JJ Teabo Win User
    After an automatic update the screen resolution is streched

After an automatic update of Windows 10 the screen resolution is stretched. For example square icons are now rectangular and gmail content is "off the page" and not visible.

I've tried setting the resolution to "Recommended", and looked for additional Windows updates, and there are none; the system is updated.

Any suggestions?

JJ Teabo, Jun 20, 2016
  4. PRince4 Win User

Games with square-ish resolutions stretch on rectangular monitor

Try some other aspect ratios it might work like 16:9 , 16:10 , 2:21:1 .
    1280x600 really works for me but the AntiAlias is F@Kd so maybe you can use 1280x786.

Hope this helps...

PRince4, Jun 20, 2016
Thema:

Games with square-ish resolutions stretch on rectangular monitor

1. Games with square-ish resolutions stretch on rectangular monitor - Similar Threads - Games square ish

2. A square box in the middle-ish in my screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A square box in the middle-ish in my screen: Hello! I turned on my laptop to do some work, and I noticed this small square box in the middle-ish of the screen. I am not sure what this is, so I tried restarting my Windows, but it seems to take a while to restart. Can anyone tell me what is going on?...
  3. A square box in the middle-ish in my screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A square box in the middle-ish in my screen: Hello! I turned on my laptop to do some work, and I noticed this small square box in the middle-ish of the screen. I am not sure what this is, so I tried restarting my Windows, but it seems to take a while to restart. Can anyone tell me what is going on?...
  4. A square box in the middle-ish in my screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Screen Resolution Vertically Stretched

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen Resolution Vertically Stretched: hey, so recently I decided to switch my computer resolution to 1440x1080 to get stretched resolution on a game, and I decided to keep it as my normal computer resolution for a week because I played the game a lot. after this week, I tried to switch back to 1920x1080 my...
  6. Stretching monitor display

Stretching monitor display: I am wondering if there is anyway to stretch my display of my monitor out. I have tried every resolution setting and that just changes the aspect ratio. Is there any possible way to just kind of stretch my display out a bit?...
  7. Micro sutter ish in games.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Micro sutter ish in games.: Hey there guys, so after banging my head against a wall for the past 36hours trying to fix this i am throwing in the towel and trying to ask here. So Since yesterday i have had some weird micro stutter going on in games where the game almost looks like its skipping frames or...
  8. How to prevent stretching Game's resolution in 4:3 to 16:9?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to prevent stretching Game's resolution in 4:3 to 16:9?: I have a 16:9 monitor (1366x768) but when I try to change the resolution of Outlast to 4:3 (1024x576) it gets stretched to full display, kind of too wide. So, I would like to play it at 4:3 along with Black Bars on the sides. I used to know a method to do this using the...
  9. Windows 10 resolution stretch

Windows 10 resolution stretch: Hello, I having trouble with my resolution after updating to Windows 10 version 1903, build 18362.175 My display looks to stretch and I can't find my resolution option on the display resolution setting and advanced display setting. My recommended resolution supposed to be...
  10. Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.: I installed a new 4K monitor and Age of Empires went so small I could even read the writing or easily see the buttons. I went into steam and fairly quickly got directed to a post that told me to go to launcher.exe and right click and select compatibility and tick the overide...