Windows 10: Gaming issues, do I need to reinstall Win 10?

Discus and support Gaming issues, do I need to reinstall Win 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC functions perfectly and all applications seem to run great apart from ... games *Sad Some of the games used to run fine like Borderlands 2 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mike bike kite, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gaming issues, do I need to reinstall Win 10?

My PC functions perfectly and all applications seem to run great apart from ... games *Sad Some of the games used to run fine like Borderlands 2 and GTA V but now seem to have stopped working all together. Other games run fine ie Titanfall 2. I thought perhaps an upgrade on the GPU might help but after installing a GTX 1060 6GB it made no difference.

It's a reasonably high end PC that I built myself a few years back and has been working fine. The PC specs are i5-3570K, 8GB RAM, 256SSD + 1TB HDD, GTX660 upgraded to GTX1060 6GB. The OS was Win 7 that was upgraded to Win 10 a long while back.

All games are from Steam or Origin:

• GTA V (steam) : now crashes before starting. I tried reinstalling and wiping any files but made no difference.
    • Borderlands 2 (steam) : now crashes in the launcher with a .Net error
    • Borderlands Pre-Sequel (steam) : won't start and crashes in launcher
    • Planet side 2 : used to run a year ago but won't run now
    • Crysis 3 (origin) : won't start
    • Titan fall 2 (origin) : works fine
    • Far Cry 3 (origin) : won't start
    • Track mania : just gives a white screen but this may be a update error and unrelated
    • Mark of the ninja : plays fine
    • Super crate box : plays fine
    • Plants and Zombies : plays fine
    • Team fortress : plays fine

This list makes it look like I'm addicted to gaming which I'm not but I do like to see what's being done out there.

I've tried going to the steam/origin sites but they just put you in an endless loop reloading 60GB game files and didn't offer much advice. Because the issue is happening across so many games I figured it must be something at a lower level than the game program itself. I only get issues in games - all other software I use functions fine so I figured it might be the GPU or the software driving it. I bought a new GPU hoping that might fix issues - it didn't make a difference. I was wondering whether a reinstall of the OS might help? I bought an official Win 7 OS over the web using a key then upgraded to win 10.

Would a reinstall help? would I lose all my files programs etc? is there something easier I can try? is there any way I can get a decent error message stating what's wrong?

Thanks for reading. My apologies if this post is in the wrong place. Sorry for the long post.

Mike

:)

mike bike kite, Oct 11, 2017

2. Reinstall - windows 10

Hello Thank you.

I upgraded my Dell Alienware R17 lap top from win 8.1 to Win 10 an 5 months ago. But now I have BSOD happening 2 to 3 times during start up and automatically starts. During the games also BSOD happening. Can I download and reinstall win 10 free of charge
    now in October 2016. Do I need an activation code for the reinstall?. Dell Assistant says that I have to buy a new version of Win 10.

Could you shed light on the reinstallation issue? I appreciate your time and effort. Thank you in advance.

Kumar

Packiakumar, Oct 11, 2017
  3. If I upgrade to Windows 10 do I need to reinstall all my programs like Microsoft Office ?

No, you do not.

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files, applications and settings.

Which versions of Microsoft Office work on Windows 10?

The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

Older versions of Office such as Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 11, 2017
  4. Gaming issues, do I need to reinstall Win 10?

I would say a clean install is long overdue, considering this was an upgrade from a previous OS. All of your games and programs will need to be reinstalled, but you can back up your files and game saves to an external hard drive.

I look at it this way. You could spend days troubleshooting and maybe fixing the issues, or you could spend a few hours doing a clean install and be much better off for it.

DeaconFrost, Oct 11, 2017
  5. Hi Mike.

First I would be looking in Reliability History and the Windows event viewer (for additional details). This should give you a starting point for diagnostics.

Not saying to do this, just check, has your motherboard released any newer BIOS's for your Motherboard? Did they state what they fix?

What version build of Windows are you on?

Windows Key + R, type winver, enter.

There is an inplace repair / upgrade process outlined in this tutorial. This will install V1703, just an FYI.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Before trying diagnostic procedures I always recommend that you create a backup of your data off machine, create an Image with a tool like Macrium Reflect and have bootable media that matches your current Windows environment.

Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 11, 2017
  6. TairikuOkami, Oct 11, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    Why not do the basics like checking out your SSD and HDD. They are getting old now. Then working your way upwards.

Do what you like with reinstalling stuff, but if the basics are not checked you will just have a series of endless problems.

Helmut, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Gaming issues, do I need to reinstall Win 10?

1. Gaming issues, do I need to reinstall Win 10? - Similar Threads - Gaming issues need

2. Need to reinstall Win 10--NOTHING works

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Need to reinstall Win 10--NOTHING works: Without details of what happened ALL windows apps are gone! Start/PC Settings--nothing, no calculator, clock wrong time zone but adjust clock does not work, taskbar settings doesn't work, two messages but cannot open. Nothing entered in Powershell works, All I want to do is...
  3. Need to reinstall Win 10--NOTHING works

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to reinstall Win 10--NOTHING works: Without details of what happened ALL windows apps are gone! Start/PC Settings--nothing, no calculator, clock wrong time zone but adjust clock does not work, taskbar settings doesn't work, two messages but cannot open. Nothing entered in Powershell works, All I want to do is...
  4. Need to reinstall Win 10--NOTHING works

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. issue reinstalling win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    issue reinstalling win 10: using the tool from win 10 recovory both to reset to factory standard and to boot from usb failed any attempt at reset to factory standards gives me mesg failed no changes made with attempts at booting from usb it just sits at the black screen like when you restart computer...
  6. issue reinstalling win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    issue reinstalling win 10: using the tool from win 10 recovory both to reset to factory standard and to boot from usb failed any attempt at reset to factory standards gives me mesg failed no changes made with attempts at booting from usb it just sits at the black screen like when you restart computer...
  7. issue reinstalling win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Do i need to reinstall windows?

Do i need to reinstall windows?: Changing from a faulty motherboard DQ77MK to a P8Z77-V, i have Windows 10 64bit pro, looking for some advice do i need to reinstall windows, also do i need to install any drivers or are the microsoft drivers better? 152695
  9. Think I need to reinstall Win Ten

in Windows 10 Support
    Think I need to reinstall Win Ten: Gaming PC with 1080ti Graphics Card 4.5 GHz quad Core 3Tb Hard Drive 3Tb Seagate external drive Windows 10 (not pre installed, kosher new usb stick and product key, bought separately from the machine) Had it for a year and it worked fine until it didn't. One day it...
  10. Reinstalling Win-10 GPT issue

Reinstalling Win-10 GPT issue: Hello, On my laptop, got the infinite loop Startup Repair and did not get a response to the following post that I created: NDIS.SYS Error 0xc000000f; Loop Startup Repair - Windows 10 Forums Now, I'm trying to re-install Win-10 on the same partition as I had initially...