Windows 10: Gave Mail a Try

Discus and support Gave Mail a Try in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Well, after so many years with Thunderbird I decided to give Win10 Mail a try. At first glance I liked it but soon discovered that I cannot create... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Tony Vella, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Gave Mail a Try

Well, after so many years with Thunderbird I decided to give Win10 Mail a try. At first glance I liked it but soon discovered that I cannot create folders (as in TB) to store my emails in some sort of order. This is most important to me. So I shall revert to TB until creating folders becomes part of Mail. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels like that. Is anyone aware if Windows intend to consider this change? Thanks in advance.

:)

Tony Vella, Aug 12, 2017

2. Mail now not working

Tried method 2

All download/updates gave an "error - try again" but no joy

Error on Mail - 0x80070490

Bob Kendall, Aug 12, 2017
  3. chaihg Win User
    E6 & Exchange Active Sync (Gmail). Emails received after 15 minutes.

Just trying to help you. Can you change the size of the download or the number of mails to be stored?. Try to reduce both of them and see if the problem persists.

I remember having the same problem but when I reduced the amount of mails to be stored on my phone, the mail client was bit faster and up to date. Of course this is totally away from the theory you gave.

chaihg, Aug 12, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Gave Mail a Try

Hi there

@Tony Vella

TB is fine -- you can use IMAP, have multiple accounts etc etc. In fact so much better than Outlook (even OUTLOOK 2016 in the commercial version of Ms Office).I'm surprised that more people don't use it --especially it works fine on MAC, Windows and Linux and is 100% Free and not riddled with commercials as most type of webmail packages are.

Not too many people know this but it can actually work with Ms exchange so you could even use it to connect to most company email systems too.

Sending from different accounts is also a doddle -- there's not much if anything in TB that I don't like --thoroughly decent free email client which ticks all the right boxes. I recommend you stay with it.

You don't need to install Firefox either to use it (although I find FF a decent browser too).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 13, 2017
  5. Thanks Jimbo, I think I will. Yet, I still think that Local Folders are so handy that it astonishes me that such an option was not included in the original product. Oh well!

Tony Vella, Aug 13, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Aug 13, 2017
  7. gpstoloff Win User
    Sorry, Eagle51, but you CAN'T create LOCAL folders in W10 Mail. Local Folders are stored on your local hard drive.

The procedure you cited creates folders within your on-line Outlook.com mail account or the servers for your other IMAP or POP3 accounts.

Tony, the reason MS didn't put a Local Folders capability in W10 Mail is that it is merely a viewer of one's on-line Outlook.com account, and wasn't built with a robust local message store like WLM, TBird, eClient, etc.

gpstoloff, Aug 13, 2017
  8. Gave Mail a Try

Well, my friends, I am the OP of this thread and I think I have solved the problem: I shall stay with Thunderbird.
    Nevertheless, thanks to one and all for your assistance and opinions. Tony.

Tony Vella, Aug 13, 2017
  9. Eagle51 Win User
    Sorry about that, I missed the part about Local Folders ... Even tho I have Win10 Mail setup, I use TB myself *Smile

Eagle51, Aug 13, 2017
Thema:

Gave Mail a Try

1. Gave Mail a Try - Similar Threads - Gave Mail Try

2. Sfc /scannow gave me a failure to fix issues?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sfc /scannow gave me a failure to fix issues?: I ran Sfc /scannow and it said there were errors it could not fix. Can someone interpret the CBS.log and tell me what I can do to clean it up? https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TzuiqXr6_Sf1LE63WkPV9XbwepEzDek8...
  3. Application Is Trying To Send Mail: Allow/Deny?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Application Is Trying To Send Mail: Allow/Deny?: I have one user who gets a dialog box every time Great Plains Dynamics tries to email something from within the application. It asks her to Allow or Deny that transaction. All I've seen online is that this is expected behavior if the virus protection is out-of-date or...
  4. Trying to install Windows Live Mail on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Trying to install Windows Live Mail on Windows 10: I have just bought a HP Spectre x360 laptop running Windows 10 and the first thing I'm trying to get set up is my email. I've been using Windows Live Mail for a long time now and I'm happy with it so if possible I'd like to keep using it. I'm 64 and don't like change! I can't...
  5. Update gave me a new drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Update gave me a new drive letter: Hello, the most recent update of Windows 10 -- V1803, Build 17134.48 -- added a D drive to my collections of drives, causing me aggravation as I had previously assigned that drive letter to my Dropbox folders. The additional annoyance is the periodic warning that the drive is...
  6. Trying to uninstall and reinstall Mail and Calendar app

in Browsers and Email
    Trying to uninstall and reinstall Mail and Calendar app: I have uninstalled the mail and calendar app per Windows PowerShell, now I can't get it to install per the command, get-appxpackage*microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps*|remove-appxpackage. It removed it, but now it is saying that command does not work. I started all this...
  7. error in Mail app trying to sync pop3 account

in Browsers and Email
    error in Mail app trying to sync pop3 account: I've configured my pop3 account in the Mail app and it gives me error 0x080072af9 when trying to sync for the first time [img] 16147
  8. Trying to add Google mail to Mail and get error 0x80040154

in Browsers and Email
    Trying to add Google mail to Mail and get error 0x80040154: I'm trying to add a google account to Mail and when I choose Google I get the message, 'something went wrong error 0x80040154' Has anyone had any success getting this feature to work? Or has anyone else found a way to solve this error? Since posting this I did read a...
  9. Trying to make Outlook.com my default mail?

in Browsers and Email
    Trying to make Outlook.com my default mail?: Hi, I have been using a new Dell Inspiron 5555 Laptop running the new Windows 10 Home for two days and it is kicking my butt. *cry Right now one of my biggest problems is trying to establish a Default Mail Provider but when I check Default Mail in my Default settings it...
  10. Gave son an SSD with my info on it-What to Do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Gave son an SSD with my info on it-What to Do?: Son's SSD failed after four months and I gave him a replacement which has my info on it (Name, Requires PIN, etc.) The SSD was registered legally on his computer but my SSD is not showing that. What can be done to show Microsoft that the SSD is now being used on his...