Windows 10: Gave son an SSD with my info on it-What to Do?

Discus and support Gave son an SSD with my info on it-What to Do? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Son's SSD failed after four months and I gave him a replacement which has my info on it (Name, Requires PIN, etc.) The SSD was registered legally on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jambe, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Jambe Win User

Gave son an SSD with my info on it-What to Do?

Son's SSD failed after four months and I gave him a replacement which has my info on it (Name, Requires PIN, etc.)

The SSD was registered legally on his computer but my SSD is not showing that.

What can be done to show Microsoft that the SSD is now being used on his computer? Does he have to format the drive and re-install Windows 10 to effect the change?

:)

Jambe, Nov 28, 2016
  2. Jim Buhl Win User

Nokia Microsoft smartphone

I just gave my Nokia Microsoft smartphone to my son. I reset it and wonder if I need to inform Microsoft about what I did.

Jim Buhl, Nov 28, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    I tried to install a game Blitzkrieg 2 , It gave an error code of 577.

"RegCure pro to fix it"
    Avoid, or use at your peril, this and other similar registry 'cleaners' .

However, if a registry key were responsible for the game not loading, 'fixing' that key will not help with Win10.

As I mentioned in the earlier thread on this game. There is a DRM issue with this game (most likely with 64bit OS's),

but Win10 has added another layer of frustration to users of older disk based games by actively blocking some of

these early forms of DRM. So with Win10 more than ever, the only fix, when using a disk basedversion of a game,

is a noCD fix/hack ( I also explained why noCD fixes sometimes get flagged by AV's. ).

Up to you. Either pay to download an updated version of the game (Blitzkrieg 2 anthology)

with the DRM stripped out, which I reckon MS wants you to do.

Possibly so they can get kickback from the download sites in thanks for making disk based games unplayable,

or use a noCD.

Blitzkrieg 2 Anthology

Or -

Buy Blitzkrieg II Anthology from the Humble Store

---------------

Hmm, The title of this forum is Gaming on Windows 10.
    Now, I would think that when someone is

using a PC version of a game and running Win10 that this would indeed be the appropriate forum

for questions about those games.

- There is also another Win10 forum specifically for Hardware and Drivers.

- XBOX forums, on the other hand are focused on playing the games made specifically for the XBOX console.

On the XBOX site there is a forum titled XBOX on Windows 10, but this has nothing to do with PC gaming.

There are also two pages of advertising about gaming on Win10, and a games store, but nothing that addresses issues when playing games on Win10.

- If there is a page on the XBOX site that addressed issues with PC games please do link it here, or in

other future posts, so we can all send people on their merry way, via a cut and paste, to XBOX.

BossDweeb, Nov 28, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Not showing on his pc? Do you mean inthe bios or its not booting from it if you had windows on it and put it in a new pc the drivers will all be wrong and it wont load and wont activate

Samuria, Nov 28, 2016
  5. Jambe Win User
    I think you have misunderstood my question. The new SSD (mine) boots up fine but it has my name and requires my PIN. It needs to have his name and use his PIN.

Jambe, Nov 28, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    He needs to login with your information and create a user account for himself.

User Account - Add in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

While still logged into your account, he needs to change the new user account he created for himself to administrator:

Account Type - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Then he can log into his own account and, if desired, delete your account.

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2016
  7. Jambe Win User
    Thanks, NavyLCDR. I will have him try that and see if it gets everything taken care of.

Jambe, Nov 28, 2016
  8. Jambe Win User

Well. I just talked to him and he has gone ahead and re-installed Windows 10. He wasn't sure if it was registered with Microsoft. Wish I could remember (senior moment) what program tells if it has been registered, you know, the one that says "You have 30 days to register."

Jambe, Nov 28, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    winver

and Settings - Updates & Security - Activation tab on the left:

Gave son an SSD with my info on it-What to Do? [​IMG]

Gave son an SSD with my info on it-What to Do? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2016
  10. Jambe Win User
    His product key was his Windows 7 license during the free period. Does that still work to activate? If this doesn't make sense, then just ignore. With Windows 7 we had a product key (25 characters) but we don't have that with Windows 10. Sorry, I don't understand how it is done now. And I'm sure he doesn't have a Microsoft account. *Sad

Update: Just talked to him and had him go to Activation and it says it is activated. He used the old Windows 7 code.

Jambe, Nov 28, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    When you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10, the unique ID of the computer itself - not the user - gets sent to Microsoft Activation servers and stored along with the digital license for Windows 10. When you re-install the same version of Windows 10 on that same computer, you do not have to enter a product key. There is a link at the bottom of the installation screen for "I don't have a product key". When the computer is connected to the internet, Windows 10 sends the unique ID of the computer to MS activation servers and if it matches a digital license for that version of Windows that was stored there previously, it will activate Windows 10 automatically.

Now, it does not matter that your son entered the old Windows 7 product key because it was for the same computer, and it is the unique ID of the computer itself that determines the license.

With the latest build of Windows 10, MS also attaches the digital license for Windows 10 to the MS account(s) of the users that log into that computer if they us a MS account login. The reason they do that is if the user replaces the motherboard or gets a new computer, they can log into their MS account on the new computer and transfer the license from the old computer to the new computer via the MS account.

In the case of your son, the digital license is based off the unique ID of the computer which already existed on MS activation servers and Windows 10 would have activated with or without the Windows 7 product key. If he creates a MS account - or changes his login to a MS account, that digital license will attach itself to his MS account.

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2016
  12. I'm sure your son wouldn't have any problems with activation once he links his email account that he originally used with Windows 10 to a new User Account.

RoasterMen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Gave son an SSD with my info on it-What to Do? - Similar Threads - Gave son SSD

2. How to remove access to my info / files from son's laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove access to my info / files from son's laptop?: Ok, please bear with. I recently bought my 11 year old his first laptop. I went in as administrator with my MS account, and added a MS child account for him. How can I get it so that the laptop doesn't 'see' any of my work files? I tried to unsync OneDrive, but I can still...
  3. How to remove access to my info / files from son's laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove access to my info / files from son's laptop?: Ok, please bear with. I recently bought my 11 year old his first laptop. I went in as administrator with my MS account, and added a MS child account for him. How can I get it so that the laptop doesn't 'see' any of my work files? I tried to unsync OneDrive, but I can still...
  4. What to do after a new SSD is added

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do after a new SSD is added: I built a new PC, and reused my old 1tb HDD. I bought a new SSD as the HDD is running slow. The HDD has windows 10, my games and files on it. In the new computer, the SSD does not show up in file explorer, despite showing up in Disk Management. What should I do, and how can I...
  5. What to do after a new SSD is added

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do after a new SSD is added: I built a new PC, and reused my old 1tb HDD. I bought a new SSD as the HDD is running slow. The HDD has windows 10, my games and files on it. In the new computer, the SSD does not show up in file explorer, despite showing up in Disk Management. What should I do, and how can I...
  6. What to do after a new SSD is added

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. What is this? more info in comment...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is this? more info in comment...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/homo_erectus_heh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/yzjg5e/what_is_this_more_info_in_comment/
  8. New SSD - What to do with My Documents files?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New SSD - What to do with My Documents files?: I received a new 500Gb SSD, and currently have a 1Tb HDD with about 475Gb used space. Since I cannot clone the entire HDD to the new SSD, I want to move only the Windows 10 OS files, but leave all the data files Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc. on the old HDD E: drive for...
  9. What should I do to an SSD to be performing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What should I do to an SSD to be performing: Hello, I have appealed to the Microsoft Community to ask you to say that I bought two 1000 GB and another 237 GB SSD and please tell me what settings I need to make to have better performance longer life, optimization ect ...). Wait for response! A good day!...
  10. SSD installed successfully-what to do with HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD installed successfully-what to do with HDD: After a week spent (reluctantly) performing BIOS updates, downloading and installing 1803 for Win 10 Pro and tweaking USB functions I was able to clone a Samsung 860 EVO 1tb 2.5 inch drive from a 1tb Toshiba HDD that came with Dell desktop. The easiest and simplest method to...