Windows 10: General non specific question on Disk Imaging.

Discus and support General non specific question on Disk Imaging. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Years ago when I first started using Acronis (back in Vista days), I always understood that once you restored a disk image from a set of either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mooly, May 6, 2018.

1. Mooly Win User

General non specific question on Disk Imaging.

Years ago when I first started using Acronis (back in Vista days), I always understood that once you restored a disk image from a set of either incrementals or differentials, that if you then attempted to carry on adding new backups to that existing chain that the next incremental or differential would be massive in size because pretty much everything had changed.

That made sense, like moving all the books on a shelf left or right. Nothing has changed and yet in a way everything has.

I seem to remember discovering that the hard way by seeing how the next incremental made after restoring an image was almost the same size as the base image.

Yesterday I tried this again (using AOMEI) and am amazed to see that the next incremental is of a normal small size. Because I knew I would need to do a restore (I wanted a play with some Windows stuff that would break things) I deliberately made a single full backup to restore from.

Today I thought I would try and add to the incremental chain I had already in place... result, a normal small file size.

Do all modern backup programs now behave like this ?

General non specific question on Disk Imaging. [​IMG]

:)

Mooly, May 6, 2018
Thema:

General non specific question on Disk Imaging.

1. General non specific question on Disk Imaging. - Similar Threads - General non specific

2. general question

in Windows 10 Support
    general question: ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz Installed RAM8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable) Device ID2A19870F-A938-4F6A-A546-98CBA23F63BA Product ID00330-80000-00000-AA420 System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touchNo pen or touch input is...
  3. General Questions (on-going)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    General Questions (on-going): **If this is not the right forum section, please move this topic to the appropriate section**. i recently learned about the difference of GPT (GUID Partition Table) vs MBR (Master Boot Record). Through EaseUS, I saw that my D: drive was actually MBR. My brother had helped...
  4. Non system disk in system image

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Non system disk in system image: I trying to create system image in Windows 10. Chose where I want to save the backup, after that system shows to me what drives will be backed up: EFI System Partition Game_Storage E: System Recovery Partition System C: System Problem is that Game_Storage E: is not...
  5. General Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General Question: I just had a general question about a setup that I have done. I built my PC and I have an M.2SSD which the os and programs are installed on. From there, I have two SSD drives which I put all the recent jobs that Im working on. From there, I have a dedicated scratch SSD that...
  6. General question

in Windows 10 Support
    General question: I'm trying to help a friend. Ever since he installed the newest Windows 10 updates all of his non-window icons have disappeared. The exe file for his antivirus is not visible (although it says it's properly installed). Something as simply as a yahoo mail app can't be found....
  7. General question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    General question: I realize this doesn't pertain directly to Microsoft. I just trying to seek an answer. This morning I opened my computer and I haven't opened a browser. This popup was on my screen. It reads: Security Alert. Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is...
  8. Macrium general questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium general questions: I've been using Macrium free for quite some time and in general it has worked well for me. However, I have been unable to intsall the 1803 update so I decided to make an image of my production system and restore that image to a spare SSD. The image creation was successful...
  9. General Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General Question: Guys, I know this is not really about Windows10. However I trust your opinion in matters of tech! So, what I want to know is about my Phone. It has an internal only battery, so I can't remove it. Does this mean that it can always be Tracked?? (Like in he movies).*Sad 82232
  10. General UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General UEFI Question: UEFI is a real pain in my butt. I've done extensive reading. I understand (I think) secure boot. I've successfully made a UEFI boot usb windows install disk. I know how to get to access UEFI interface through Windows 8/8.1/10. What I can't find an answer to is how to get to...