Windows 10: General Power options question on a Dell E6440 running Win10 Pro

Discus and support General Power options question on a Dell E6440 running Win10 Pro in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Dell Notebook E6440 running Win10 Pro and under the Power Button options next to the When I Press The Power Button, I have it set to Do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by win10freak, Jun 30, 2016.

1. General Power options question on a Dell E6440 running Win10 Pro

I have a Dell Notebook E6440 running Win10 Pro and under the Power Button options next to the When I Press The Power Button, I have it set to Do Nothing. (See image)

Now of course, when I pressed the power button, my system did not shut down.

My question is, if I HOLD DOWN the Power button for a few seconds, will my notebook still shutdown?

I can test this out now, but I do not want to, because that would be my last resort or option whenever my system is frozen. And also, I don't want to risk damaging the hard drive or some of the system files...

So for now, I just want to ask this.

Thanks

:)

win10freak, Jun 30, 2016

2. Black screens - after updating video driver to latest version - any fixes

Hello - I continue to get frequent "black screens" on my Dell E6440 running Win 10 Pro Version 1709 Build 16299.192 . I've already updated the video card drivers, ensured that high contrast is off, done a clean reboot, and cleared 'fast startup' from
    the power options. Resetting the PC is not an option I want to do as the 30-day window for rolling back the Windows Creator update has passed. Any suggestions?

DougT11050, Jun 30, 2016
  3. Power options fail for surface pro with windows 10

I updated my first generation surface pro to windows 10 when win10 became available. However, I am frequently having power issues. Basically when running on battery the power options fail to kick in. The computer never shuts down if left alone. Instead,
    it goes until the battery runs out. I've set the power options so that the screen will turn off after 5 minutes and the computer after 10 minutes. It just never does. Please help me.

valeriolucciola, Jun 30, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

General Power options question on a Dell E6440 running Win10 Pro

No, it won't shutdown, if you hold it long enough the power will shut off. Vastly different effect.

Why are you not selecting shut down from the Power option in the start menu in the first place after setting this to do nothing?

Windows button > power > shut down. This is how you normally shut down windows. Having it happen by pressing the power button is a typical shortcut.

RWOne, Jun 30, 2016
  5. I know, I am always using the Shut Down option within Windows, always.

First, I set to Do Nothing because I don't want me or someone else to accidently press the power button and loose all my unsaved docs.

Secondly, I want to enable to shutdown my system using the power button in case my system is locked up or frozen as a LAST RESORT.

So even I have this setting to Do Nothing, will it still shutdown if I hold down the power button for a few seconds?

win10freak, Jun 30, 2016
  6. RWOne Win User
    You're missing my point:

One, Pressing and holding the power button until the computer shuts off is NOT a shutdown. It will shut off, upon next boot you may or may not get the system requesting to do a chkdsk (dirty shutdown bit flagged on the drive) is most common. You're mileage may vary.

As far as using it as a last resort, that is exactly what pressing and holding it is, a last resort.

Two, if you have doc's and apps open and accidentally hit the power button to begin a shutdown, in most cases you'll get a message about apps needing to close and the ability to cancel it. It is not instantaneous.

RWOne, Jun 30, 2016
  7. Ok, so even though I have set the power button to Do Nothing, it will still shut off when holding the power button for a few seconds until the machine shuts off whenever I encounter a system lock-up?

Of course, in normal situations I always use the shutdown from the Start Menu

win10freak, Jun 30, 2016
  8. Mooly Win User

You're still not getting what RWone is saying.

A shutdown is a controlled closing of the operating system under control of Windows. Everything is put back in the correct place on the HDD, drivers are unloaded and so on.

Holding the power button down does not do the above. Think of it as 'pulling the plug out' while it is still all powered up.

If you are having to do forced shutdowns with W10 then you need to seriously look into the cause and to try and find a reason why it is doing what its doing.

Mooly, Jun 30, 2016
  9. Now I get it.

I have no issues but in case my machine freezes up and nothing is responsive, then my last resort is to shut off the system by using the power button.

My machine is running fine, but if in case it freezes on me and nothing can be done then the power button shut off would be a final option.

win10freak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. General Power options question on a Dell E6440 running Win10 Pro - Similar Threads - General Power options

2. Questions relating to power shell scripting in general

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions relating to power shell scripting in general: Is there an appropriate forum here for power shell scripting? I am referring to basic programming help. 171722
  3. general question

in Windows 10 Support
    general question: ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz 3.20 GHz Installed RAM8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable) Device ID2A19870F-A938-4F6A-A546-98CBA23F63BA Product ID00330-80000-00000-AA420 System type64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touchNo pen or touch input is...
  4. Dell E6440

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Dell E6440: My laptop recently got updated and wiile i was working on it, it just turned off and when i tried restarting it only the powerbutton would turn on and then the fan would make some faint noise and then it suddenly turns off... the power button lights up before i even press it;...
  5. General Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General Question: I just had a general question about a setup that I have done. I built my PC and I have an M.2SSD which the os and programs are installed on. From there, I have two SSD drives which I put all the recent jobs that Im working on. From there, I have a dedicated scratch SSD that...
  6. General question

in Windows 10 Support
    General question: I'm trying to help a friend. Ever since he installed the newest Windows 10 updates all of his non-window icons have disappeared. The exe file for his antivirus is not visible (although it says it's properly installed). Something as simply as a yahoo mail app can't be found....
  7. Power options question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Power options question: So I plan on doing an windows update to 1809, my question is when it restarts to the screen where instead of don’t power off your pc, it says “this will take a while” can i still have the lid closed or do I have to open it. 127933
  8. General question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    General question: I realize this doesn't pertain directly to Microsoft. I just trying to seek an answer. This morning I opened my computer and I haven't opened a browser. This popup was on my screen. It reads: Security Alert. Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is...
  9. Dell E6440 Driver Install Blocked on v1709

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dell E6440 Driver Install Blocked on v1709: I'm having issues installing Network Wifi drivers from Dell Support Page/Intel Drivers. Win10 OS version is OK But for some reason the install is blocked. Running the Falls Creators Update v1709 Has anyone had these issues before? 101678
  10. General Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General Question: Guys, I know this is not really about Windows10. However I trust your opinion in matters of tech! So, what I want to know is about my Phone. It has an internal only battery, so I can't remove it. Does this mean that it can always be Tracked?? (Like in he movies).*Sad 82232