Windows 10: Generate Sleep Study Report in Windows 10

Discus and support Generate Sleep Study Report in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Generate Sleep Study Report in Windows 10 How to Generate a Sleep Study Report in Windows 10 A sleep state. A Sleep Study generates a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cliff S, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Cliff S New Member

Generate Sleep Study Report in Windows 10

How to: Generate Sleep Study Report in Windows 10

How to Generate a Sleep Study Report in Windows 10

A sleep state.

A Sleep Study generates a report of connected standby (aka: "InstantGo" and "Modern Standby") quality over the last three days on the system.

Sleep Study tells you how well the system slept and how much activity it experienced during that time. While in the sleep state, the system is still doing some work, albeit at a lower frequency. Because the resulting battery drain is not easily perceptible (you cant see it draining), we built the Sleep Study tool in Windows 10 to allow you to track what is happening. We thought of simply using traditional logging to do this, but ironically, the logging itself would drain the battery. With this in mind, we designed the Sleep Study tool to minimize its own impact on battery life, while tracking the battery draining activities.

You can use Sleep Study to see which apps and devices are most active during a sleep session. Sleep Study reviews all the sleep sessions longer than 10 minutes and provides you with a report that color codes each session according to its power consumption. A session is defined as the period from Screen Off to Screen On. In cases when the system is plugged into AC power, the policies are less stringent than when on battery power. While the tool still tracks connected standby activity on AC power, it is more useful to identify unexpected drains on battery, or DC power.

To help you easily identify apps, devices and services with higher power consumption, these are highlighted in red or orange in the report, and represent opportunities to extend your battery life.

This tutorial will show you how to generate a Sleep Study report for Modern Standby quality in Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to generate a Sleep Study report.

VIDEO: Defrag Tools #168 - Powercfg Sleep Study Channel 9

[c9]https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defrag-Tools/Defrag-Tools-168-Powercfg-Sleep-Study/player[/c9]

EXAMPLE: "powercfg /SleepStudy" usage

Generate Sleep Study Report in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Here's How:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command you want to use below into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter. (see screenshots below)

*note It's recommended to save the report as a .html file to be able to easily use and read it.
    (For .html file with default 3 day duration)
    *Arrow powercfg /SleepStudy /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\sleepstudy-report.html

(For .html file with specified duration)
    *Arrow powercfg /SleepStudy /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\sleepstudy-report.html /Duration days

(For .xml file with default 3 day duration)
    *Arrow powercfg /SleepStudy /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\sleepstudy-report.xml /XML

(For .xml file with specified duration)
    *Arrow powercfg /SleepStudy /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\sleepstudy-report.xml /XML /Duration days

*note Substitute days in the commands above with a number 1 to 14 to specify the number of days you want to analyze for the report.

3. Open the sleepstudy-report.html or sleepstudy-report.xml file saved to your desktop to see the report in your default web browser (ex: Internet Explorer).

4. This is an example System Sleep report from a sleepstudy-report.html file viewed in Internet Explorer. (see screenshots below)

*note The Sleep Study HTML output is designed so you can easily read and interpret it. The sections are:
    • Machine information
    • Battery drain chart
      • Chart Legend
    • Connected standby session summary table
    • Connected standby session 1
      • Session #1 summary
      • Top 5 duration activities
      • Detailed breakdown of sub components
    • Connected standby session 2
    • (Repeat for each subsequent session).
    • Battery information

Machine information

Battery drain chart
    • Green lines are well performing sessions
    • Orange lines are moderate performing sessions
    • Red lines are poor performing sessions
    • Dotted Lines are on AC (wall charger)
    • Solid lines are on DC (battery)

Connected standby session summary table
    • Sessions are numbered sequentially
    • START TIME is in YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS, using 24-hour format
    • State is a hyperlink to the session, in this case, all connected standby sessions
    • DURATION is in HH:MM:SS. Durations under 10 minutes are filtered out of this report
    • ENERGY CHANGE is in milli-watts per hour and as % of battery capacity
    • CHANGE RATE is in mW over an hour interval
    • "Charge/Drain" determines if it was an AC or DC session. Drain is DC; Charge is AC.
    • % LOW POWER STATE TIME is the % of time spent in Deepest Runtime Idle Platform State (DRIPS %)
    • Some systems may also have an analogous hardware state for DRIPS %

Per session details
    • Per Session Summary repeats the above vital statistics.
    • The top 5 offenders are listed in terms of duration.
    • Detailed information on:
    • Activator (Software component)
    • Device (hardware component)
    • PDC phases (connected standby system activity)
    • Networking (In depth breakdown of networking durations by NDIS clients)
    • Histogram of duration between CPU wake periods
    • Periods of 32 seconds or longer are optimal for battery savings

Advanced statistics are displayed by clicking the three dots in the rightmost gray box. The statistics shown in the resulting list vary according to system capabilities.

High-drain sleep sessions
    Some connected standby sessions are expected to have activity that results in battery drain. Examples where we expect higher than average drain include:
    • Getting and installing Windows Update while the system sleeps
    • Having peripherals plugged into the USB port (hubs, disks, keyboards, mice, network adapters)
    • Having Bluetooth connected devices while the screen is off
    • Playing music with the screen off
    • Poor WLAN environment or unreliable network connections
    • High network activity (Skype calls, emails, downloads)
    • Short sleep sessions that don’t allow the system to settle into idle
    • Having a poorly behaving device driver
    • Other low-level software bugs in drivers, firmware, or system services
    Microsoft allows the system to support the experiences you care about, but with the Sleep Study tool, now you can better understand the associated battery drain. You can then make an informed decision around battery costs of certain activities. Of course, its also a relatively user friendly tool you can use to isolate any unexpected battery drains.

Battery information
    • DESIGN CAPACITY tells you the size of the battery, in this case close to 30.5 watt hours (or 30,488 milliwatt hours)
    • CAPACITY RATIO tells you how much energy can be stored in the battery before it is considered full.
    • If low, the battery will have shorter battery life due to reduced capacity (for example, if the battery chemistry degrades)
    • Drain rates are based on percentage of (Design Capacity * Capacity Ratio)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cliff S, Sep 22, 2016

2. Surface Pro 3 Battery Life

You seriously rock. I am just starting to go through these generated files, but I thought I would leave a my sleep study and battery report findings

here
    for you to look at. The Sleep Study is concerning at first glance. It appears that the maintenance phase is almost always the top offender, and the PC is quite active even during sleep. Come to think of it, I find that my PC always discharges more
    than it should when sleeping.

Tyler Dillon, Sep 22, 2016
  3. Battery drain with windows 10 on surface pro 2

Roger that. Have you by chance tried the "sleep study" report? It's a command line report (but it outputs a nice HTML webpage view of a report) that might help the investigation.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Sep 22, 2016
  4. Kbird Win User

Good Tut *Smile easier to follow than the one's M$ provides to diagnose your Surface...... Sleep Study worked well for me several months ago to figure out it was Wifi on my Surface 3 that was killing the Battery even when Sleeping , so I have disabled Wifi in SleepMode ( stay connected ) and the Battery is as you would expect , it's last days with light usage , not just overnight.

KB

Kbird, Sep 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Generate Sleep Study Report in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Generate Sleep Study

2. What does ''Video Idle Timeout'' in sleep study report mean? SLEEP ISSUEE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does ''Video Idle Timeout'' in sleep study report mean? SLEEP ISSUEE: I was looking through my sleep study report and found this: What does this mean?? CONTEXT: For over a year now, whenever my laptop goes to sleep it does not wake up. It does not happen all the time, but at least 5 times a day. I was suggested to update to Windows 11, update...
  3. What does ''Video Idle Timeout'' in sleep study report mean? SLEEP ISSUEE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does ''Video Idle Timeout'' in sleep study report mean? SLEEP ISSUEE: I was looking through my sleep study report and found this: What does this mean?? CONTEXT: For over a year now, whenever my laptop goes to sleep it does not wake up. It does not happen all the time, but at least 5 times a day. I was suggested to update to Windows 11, update...
  4. Can you clear historical sleep study report ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Can you clear historical sleep study report ?: We are trying to generate the sleep study report to debug the SW DRIPS. If the system is put into Modern Standby for x amount of time, Is there a way to clear the historical report so that we just get the result for that x amount of time? Thanks!...
  5. Sleep Study not showing % of battery

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Study not showing % of battery: Hello! Does anybody know why the powercfg sleep study does not display any of the % of battery? Here's how it looks like: [ATTACH] The report was generated with powercfg /SleepStudy /output "C:\sleep_report.html". I'm running a brand-new ThinkPad T14s / AMD Ryzen 7 and I...
  6. Disable / Remove Windows 10 Sleep Study

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable / Remove Windows 10 Sleep Study: Found this : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/disable-remove-windows-10-sleep-study/06b1b126-afe6-4b05-bd6e-b5536c2ae8be and can't put an new answer cause thread are closed so here is my reply to it for all who have the same issue...
  7. Generate System Diagnostics Report in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generate System Diagnostics Report in Windows 10: How to: Generate System Diagnostics Report in Windows 10 How to Generate System Diagnostics Report in Windows 10 [img] Information A system diagnostics report is a part of Performance Monitor that details the status of local hardware resources, system response times,...
  8. Generate System Performance Report in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generate System Performance Report in Windows 10: How to: Generate System Performance Report in Windows 10 How to Generate System Performance Report in Windows 10 [img] Information A system performance report is a part of Performance Monitor that details the status of local hardware resources, system response times,...
  9. Generate System Sleep Diagnostics Report in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generate System Sleep Diagnostics Report in Windows 10: How to: Generate System Sleep Diagnostics Report in Windows 10 How to Generate a System Sleep Diagnostics Report in Windows 10 A System Sleep Diagnostics generates a report of intervals when the user was not present (idle) over the last three or specified days on the...
  10. Generate Battery Usage Report in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Generate Battery Usage Report in Windows 10: How to: Generate Battery Usage Report in Windows 10 How to Generate Battery Usage Report in Windows 10 A battery usage report will help you know more about the usage, health, and life estimates characteristics of your PC's battery over the lifetime of the system....