Windows 10: genuine or scam message posing from Microsoft to cleanup my computer of viruses and...

Discus and support genuine or scam message posing from Microsoft to cleanup my computer of viruses and... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This screen popped up on my Desktop running Windows 10 with a message from Microsoft Edge to clean up my computer of viruses and phishing software... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by RajSeth, Aug 16, 2018.

1. RajSeth Win User

genuine or scam message posing from Microsoft to cleanup my computer of viruses and...

This screen popped up on my Desktop running Windows 10 with a message from Microsoft Edge to clean up my computer of viruses and phishing software with instructions "Not to turn off the computer otherwise data will be lost, and security compromised."

I called the Help Desk on this screen number 1-866-393-7989 twice. got different operatosr and both said they were from Microsoft. I turned off the computer and restarted but the screen was still there.

Is this genuine or a scam message posing from Microsoft to cleanup my computer of viruses and phishing software ?

I cannot minimise or delete the screen which is frozen with the alert.

:)

RajSeth, Aug 16, 2018

2. I think im being scammed by www.****.com

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

First of all you should disconnect your computer from the internet and perform a full scan on your PC for any harmful files.

Any other form of customer communication about Windows 10 upgrades is not a genuine Microsoft initiative or content.

Be vigilant about protecting your devices against fraudulent scams, such as:

• A fraudulent email providing you a link or attachment that claims to start the Windows 10 installation process.
    • An unsolicited internet pop-up attempting to guide you through the installation process.
    • A phony phone call from someone posing as a Microsoft employee, who offers to assist with an upgrade to Windows 10 or to “help” with any other Microsoft product.
    If you are already a victim or are targeted by one of these scams:

• Do not follow the instructions, click on links, or open attachments. If you received the information by email, delete the message.
    • Report the fraudulent communication to Microsoft:
      https://support.microsoft.com/reportascam
    • Go to
      Microsoft Safety & Security Center
      for information and resources dedicated to helping keep your PC safe from threats, including viruses, malware and phishing attempts.

You may follow through from the link below: Refer the post by Bill.

Tech support phone scams

Hope this helps. Get back to us for further queries. We are happy to help!

Joy Kemprai, Aug 16, 2018
  3. ROGUE MICROSOFT SUPPORT COMPANY EXTORTING MONEY AND PUTTING VIRUSES ON COMPUTERS

You are dealing with a well known scam.

Tech Support Scamming through
    unsolicited phone calls, browser pop-ups and
    emails
    from "so-called Support Techs" advising "your computer is infected with malware",

“All Your Files Are Encrypted"
    and other
    fake "alert messages"
    has become an increasing common scam tactic over the past several years. The scams may involve web pages with screenshots of fake Microsoft (Windows) Support messages, fake reports of suspicious activity, fake warnings of malware
    found on your computer,
    fake ransomware
    and fake
    BSODs
    all of which include a tech support phone number to call in order to fix the problem. If you call the phone number (or they called you), scammers will talk their victims into allowing them remote control access of the
    computer so they can install a
    Remote Access Trojan
    in order to steal passwords and other sensitive personal information which could then be used to access bank accounts or steal a person's identity.

These are a few examples.

Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls, display pop-up alerts in your browser to call a support number or send unsolicited email messages to request personal or financial information or
    to fix your computer.

Closing the web browser and then relaunching it usually eliminates the bogus warning message and is the best way to deal with these scams. If the browser freezes or hangs, you may have to close it with

Windows Task Manager
    by selecting End Task or just reboot your computer...see

Tech Support Scams use new Tricks to Hold Browsers Hostage
    . Afterwards, be sure to

refresh (clear) your browser's cache

If the scam involves unsolicited phone calls from someone claiming to be an
    employee affiliated with Microsoft or Windows Support advising your computer is infected with malware,
    not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers.

For more information about how these scams work and resources to protect yourself, please read
    Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams...there
    are suggestions near the bottom for dealing with scams and a list of security scanning tools to use in case the usual methods do not resolve the problem or you allowed remote access into your computer.

Reporting Phone Fraud and Tech Support Scams:

quietman7 - MVP, Aug 16, 2018
  4. David Haz Win User

genuine or scam message posing from Microsoft to cleanup my computer of viruses and...

Scam

Hello,

A well-known trick used by cybercriminals is to show a pop-up that appears while you are browsing the web. These pop-ups show messages and phone numbers which misleads you into revealing sensitive personal or financial information, paying for fake antivirus
    software, or may install malware and viruses on your computer.

Reminder: Do not call the number in the pop-up. Error messages and warning messages from Microsoft never include a phone number.

You may help stop cybercriminals by reporting information about a technical support scam.

If you have allowed a cyber criminal to access your computer, you may take these steps:

• Change your computer's password, change the password on your main email account, and change the password for any financial accounts, especially your bank and credit card.
    • Scan your computer with the Microsoft Safety Scanner to find out if you have malware installed on your computer.

You may read more information about avoiding scams that use Microsoft's name fraudulently by going
    here.

For more information about Internet safety and security, kindly click this
    link

If you have further questions, feel free to ask us.

David Haz, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

1. genuine or scam message posing from Microsoft to cleanup my computer of viruses and... - Similar Threads - genuine scam message

2. Are calls from "Microsoft" genuine or a scam?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Are calls from "Microsoft" genuine or a scam?: I am receiving calls claiming to be from Microsoft saying that my PC has been compromised by hackers. I have been scammed before like that so I decline to continue with the call. They then tell me that, because I will not continue with the call, my Microsoft licence will be...
  3. Microsoft message: Genuine or Fake?...…

Microsoft message: Genuine or Fake?...…: Hi,I found a message on my Junk Email folder from Microsoft:From: Microsoft account team <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***>Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2021 12:58 AMTo: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** <*** Email address is removed for privacy...
  4. scam or virus

scam or virus: received a message from a security window-microsoft edge asking for user name and password. How do i get rid of the pop up? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/scam-or-virus/5f58ad94-55f6-4cb5-919c-d9183bf00d37
  5. Microsoft Solitaire scamming messages

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Solitaire scamming messages: Is anyone else having their Microsoft Solitaire Collection games interrupted by messages like "Your security application has expired click here to renew" or "This website says your computer is damaged (accompanied by a very loud siren-like noise)" ? I have uninstalled the...
  6. Genuine update or scam?

Genuine update or scam?: About July 20th a notice suddenly appeared at the bottom right corner of my screen saying that support for Windows 10 April 2018 update ends in November. It had 3 choices - update now, schedule a time, and another update option I can't recall. There was no way to close the...
  7. Message suposedly from Microsoft - Is it genuine?

Message suposedly from Microsoft - Is it genuine?: http://www.microsoft.com-windows-booster.live/tonic2/?ip=109.154.77.89&campid=869e71a0-ff7c-45be-bbcd-2fbc40f86bc7&zn=2006&sc=a8a456ba-edc9-4326-80f5-1759b60ceed2&browser=Firefox&browserversion=Firefox%2067&city=Amersham&os=Windows&osv=Windows%2010&model=Desktop&td=tracking.ma...
  8. Message that my computer is infected with a virus

Message that my computer is infected with a virus: Twice today I'm getting a browser screen that appears to be from Microsoft that reads that my computer is infected with 3 viruses and telling me that I have to press the OK button to start the repair process. I ran Windows Defender and the scan reported no problems found on...
  9. Phone fraud posing as Microsoft

Phone fraud posing as Microsoft: Hi, I need help, I have a problem! Yesterday I received an incoming call from this phone number - 716 795 7995. The caller's name is Bob Foster saying that from Microsoft support, he spoke with a strong accent .... I was a little wary, but after he started saying that my...
  10. Virus, Scam???

Virus, Scam???: I have had this page pop up twice on my laptop in the past week, what is it?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-scam/9f115ddb-61f8-4b3b-9f9d-8450aefd79fa"