Windows 10: Get a repeating 5555555555 string that goes forever!

Discus and support Get a repeating 5555555555 string that goes forever! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Not sure if this is a malware/virus problem or a fault with new HP laptop. I helped a friend with starting to use a new HP laptop straight out of... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by scopio, Oct 24, 2017.

1. scopio Win User

Get a repeating 5555555555 string that goes forever!

Not sure if this is a malware/virus problem or a fault with new HP laptop.

I helped a friend with starting to use a new HP laptop straight out of the box. Configured Windows 10 with country and language and user name and password etc. and waited for the desktop to launch and installed Updates. My friend wanted to install a burning application to burn MP3 to CDs' and I launched Edge and downloaded Ashampoo Burning Studio Free but did not install it as when I then tried to create a new folder to save the setup file no matter what I tried to type I just got a very large unstoppable string of 555555555555555! No matter where I tried to type anything in the Edge address bar, Cortana, renaming a new folder all that appeared was 555555555.

The laptop has no new applications installed other than what it came with in the box.

After persevering I was able to download Malwarebytes and HitmanPro and scanned the laptop but no issues where flagged!

Would this be a malware/virus infection or a malfunctioning keyboard?

:)

scopio, Oct 24, 2017
  2. MrPKE Win User

Auto link phone dialing string with wait and pause

Windows Phone 8 will find and automatically link number strings in text (email, calendar, texts, etc.) that appear to be phone numbers. Clicking on the link will set you up for dialing that number with the phone. OK. But, I would like to have it auto
    link a phone number that has wait (w) and pause (p) characters along with extensions, etc. Is this possible??? For example, if someone sends me a meeting notice with the string "5555555555,,,1234#" for auto dialing, my phone only recognizes the 5555555555
    for dialing.

MrPKE, Oct 24, 2017
  3. Auto link phone dialing string with wait and pause

Eureka! I added TEL: to the string, and my Windows phone is now able to dial the full string. Syntax:

TEL:<phone_number><special_characters><conference_ID>#, or from your example,

TEL:5555555555,,,1234#

I have not yet determined how adding TEL: to the dialing string effects Apple, Andriod or other phone OS'es.

I was not able to find this documented in Bing or Google searches, but remember seeing it in the "old" days of Blackberry.

JAMartinDell, Oct 24, 2017
  4. roy111 Win User

That would be the weirdest malware i've ever heard of, i suppose you have a stuck key*Smile

roy111, Oct 24, 2017
  5. I have a problem like this, I have just disabled laptop's keyboard and I use the external one.

TairikuOkami, Oct 24, 2017
  6. scopio Win User
    I thought as much, it is very weird.

scopio, Oct 24, 2017
  7. scopio Win User
    If it persist I suppose it would be best to return the laptop as it is brand new out of the box!

scopio, Oct 24, 2017
  8. Get a repeating 5555555555 string that goes forever!

if you run the HP built in diags (F9 i think) as sure this will detect if a key is stuck down.

kingtez1984, Oct 24, 2017
  9. scopio Win User
    Thanks will try when I next visit my friend.

scopio, Oct 24, 2017
  10. cbwilsha Win User
    You shouldn't have to "fix" a brand new computer! Return it after maybe giving their Tech Support one chance to fix it.

C.B.

cbwilsha, Oct 24, 2017
  11. scopio Win User
    Now that I am reassured from the comments above that it is most likely that the laptop is defective rather than a malware/virus problem I will advice my friend to contact HP support and explain the problem and insist in a replacement.

Thank you.

scopio, Oct 25, 2017
  12. torre Win User
    Did you check the keyboard driver (device manager) ?

Sounds like a defective keyboard. If not a driver issue, may be moisture in the keyboard.

torre, Oct 26, 2017
  13. scopio Win User

As cbwilsha says above
    I shall return it and accept a replacement or money back but not a repair. A brand new pc out of the box should be faulty.

scopio, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Get a repeating 5555555555 string that goes forever! - Similar Threads - repeating 5555555555 string

2. Screen flickers/repeatedly goes black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flickers/repeatedly goes black: As mentioned in the title, my screen continuously goes black and then back to normal. However, this only occurs when there is a window open on the screen. If it's just the desktop showing, it will never flicker....
  3. Screen flickers/repeatedly goes black

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen flickers/repeatedly goes black: As mentioned in the title, my screen continuously goes black and then back to normal. However, this only occurs when there is a window open on the screen. If it's just the desktop showing, it will never flicker....
  4. Screen flickers/repeatedly goes black

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. keys will sometimes repeat forever across all keyboards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keys will sometimes repeat forever across all keyboards: When I press a key, sometimes it will repeat as if it's held until I press another key.This happens across multiple external keyboards, as well as my laptop's built in keyboard. It can happen with any key numbers, letter, backspace, tab, etc.. It happens in any application...
  6. keys will sometimes repeat forever across all keyboards

keys will sometimes repeat forever across all keyboards: When I press a key, sometimes it will repeat as if it's held until I press another key.This happens across multiple external keyboards, as well as my laptop's built in keyboard. It can happen with any key numbers, letter, backspace, tab, etc.. It happens in any application...
  7. get rid of "finalize the string box"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    get rid of "finalize the string box": Hi, I'm using the Vietnamese keyboard that I installed in "Language & region" setting. I keep encounter the "finalize the string" box. How do I get rid of it without using third-party software or uninstalling the language ?...
  8. get rid of "finalize the string box"

get rid of "finalize the string box": Hi, I'm using the Vietnamese keyboard that I installed in "Language & region" setting. I keep encounter the "finalize the string" box. How do I get rid of it without using third-party software or uninstalling the language ?...
  9. Loading goes on forever

in Windows 10 Customization
    Loading goes on forever: Good evening, I have an issue with loading times. When i right click on an object in the desktop the loading goes on forever and the fan starts to spin. The only way of stopping it is left clicking on the document, in order to open the document. If I restart the system I...
  10. "Getting Windows Ready Don't turn off your computer" goes on forever

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    "Getting Windows Ready Don't turn off your computer" goes on forever: Hi, I bought my father a new desktop computer this christmas - Lenovo IdeaCentre 510S (so it has Windows 10, and as far as I know it has all the latest updates to it's os after I set it up). And it has been working until this morning when it apparently started to update...