Windows 10: Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows

Discus and support Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" from Power Options... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Brink, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows

How to: Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows

How to Add or Remove "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" from Power Options in Windows

The Power button action is set to Shut down.

When Enable forced button/lid shutdown is turned off (default), a normal system shutdown will be performed.

When Enable forced button/lid shutdown is turned on, a forced system shutdown will be performed. A forced shutdown will force running apps to close without forewarning users.

This tutorial will show you how to add or remove the Enable forced button/lid shutdown setting under Power buttons and lid in Power Options for all users in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.

*Warning You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to add or remove this setting in Power Options.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Add or Remove "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    • Option Two: Add or Remove "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" in Power Options using REG file

EXAMPLE: "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" in Power Options

Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Add or Remove "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" in Power Options using Command Prompt
    1. Open an elevated command prompt.

2. Type the command below you want to use into the elevated command prompt, and press Enter.
    (Add)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_BUTTONS 833a6b62-dfa4-46d1-82f8-e09e34d029d6 -ATTRIB_HIDE

OR

(Remove - default)
    powercfg -attributes SUB_BUTTONS 833a6b62-dfa4-46d1-82f8-e09e34d029d6 +ATTRIB_HIDE
    3. You can now close the elevated command prompt if you like.

OPTION TWO [/i] Add or Remove "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" in Power Options using REG file

*note The downloadable .reg files below will modify the DWORD value in the registry key below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\4f971e89-eebd-4455-a8de-9e59040e7347\833a6b62-dfa4-46d1-82f8-e09e34d029d6

Attributes DWORD

1 = Remove
    2 = Add

1. Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2. To Add "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" to Power Options
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Enable_forced_button-lid-shutdown_to_Power_Options.reg

Download

3. To Remove "Enable forced button/lid shutdown" from Power Options
    *note This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Enable_forced_button-lid-shutdown_from_Power_Options.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Brink, Jan 18, 2017
  2. rmoreau Win User

How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

rmoreau, Oct 27, 2019
  3. mrgeek Win User
    How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Win key + X/Control Panel/Power Options/Choose what closing the lid does (L column), brings you to this screen. Save Changes at bottom when done.

mrgeek, Oct 27, 2019
  4. Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows

Laptop Automatically Turns On when Openning Lid after SHUTDOWN

Hello Ali,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

What is the make and model of your device?

Is it really going to Shutdown state?

Opening a Lid will make PC to wake it from Sleep Mode. I guess the same is happening in your situation. It might be going to sleep mode and opening Lid brings it back from the sleep. Why because, when system goes to complete shutdown, then it won't turn
    on automatically when you open the Lid, until unless you press Power button.

Suggest you to cross the same with the Power options. To go to power options, press Start, type
    Power Options into the search space and select the same from the list.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 27, 2019
  5. Windows 10 -How to enabled greyed out shutdown options

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 my hibernate option from Shutdown / Power removed. When check from "Choose what the power buttons do", the Shutdown settings was greyed out and I am not make hibernate enable.

Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows 747d5316-b996-47da-894c-3e0582df1497.png

Please suggest how to enable Hibernate in Power options.

Thanks & Regards

Ghazanfar

GhazanfarShaikh, Oct 27, 2019
  6. How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Welcome to the forum Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows :)
    If you are saying that the laptop won't shutdown because you need to choose an option to save MSWord or not then I don't think it's possible to change that procedure when the lid is closed. But, maybe someone knows a registry hack or something to accomplish it
    If you want to force all running apps and software to close without saving then a Command Prompt shortcut is probably the easiest.
    See the Shutdown tutorial Option 8 and decide which Command Prompt is best for you, it will probably be

shutdown /s /f /t 0

Note Immediately force running apps to close, and then performs a full shutdown of the computer.
    or
    shutdown /s /hybrid /f /t 0

Note Immediately force running applications to close, and then performs a shutdown of the computer and prepares it for fast startup.
    • Copy the Command Prompt
    • Right click on an empty space on the Desktop
    • Select New > Shortcut
    • Paste the Command Prompt in the location box
    • Next
    • The name shutdown should appear in the box, edit that if you want
    • Finish
    Move the shortcut to wherever you like and/or pin to Taskbar or Start

Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

FrillyBits, Oct 27, 2019
Thema:

Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows

1. Add Enable forced button/lid shutdown to Power Options in Windows - Similar Threads - Add Enable forced

2. A way to add Restart then shutdown as a power option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A way to add Restart then shutdown as a power option: I really like the option when it shows during the windows update and I would really like to have during normal use but I don't know how. It's really neat to have an option to restart and shutdown afterwards automatically, especially when I'm about to go to sleep or something....
  3. A way to add Restart then shutdown as a power option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A way to add Restart then shutdown as a power option: I really like the option when it shows during the windows update and I would really like to have during normal use but I don't know how. It's really neat to have an option to restart and shutdown afterwards automatically, especially when I'm about to go to sleep or something....
  4. A way to add Restart then shutdown as a power option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. enable power button hibernate option via intune

in Windows 10 Customization
    enable power button hibernate option via intune: Hello Ms Community, The company where i'm working for is working completely in a cloud environment. This means AzureAD nothing on prem. We are using Intune to deploy and configure pc's. No my question. How do i configure intune so the power button shows the option...
  6. PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC won’t shutdown unless I force shutdown by holding power button: Hi, My computer has been having problem shutdown completely. Whenever I clicked “shutdown”, the screen would turn dark, but the PC was still running because I could hear the fan, and my headset’s light was on (usually when it was completely shutdown, the light of the...
  7. How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?: Hi, I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved. Any suggestion ? Regards 67302
  8. Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10- have to force shutdown via power button: Windows 10 x64 Until a few days ago, my laptop used to shutdown ie hybrid quickly. Now, my laptop refuses to shutdown unless I use the power button to force a shutdown. I have checked to see whether it was because of an update, but this is not the case. I have run...
  9. Add or Remove Lid close action from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Lid close action from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Lid close action from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Lid close action" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the laptop (system) lid is closed. Users can specify one...
  10. Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Power button action from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Power button action" from Power Options in Windows The Power Options lets users specify the default action to take when the system hardware power button on the PC is pressed....