Windows 10: Get Windows 10 app still downloading after 5 hours

Discus and support Get Windows 10 app still downloading after 5 hours in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm using Windows 7 presently. I clicked on the Get Windows 10 icon in the taskbar and the screen that popped up says: "Starting download ... Once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ewnowak, Mar 21, 2016.

1. ewnowak Win User

Get Windows 10 app still downloading after 5 hours

I'm using Windows 7 presently. I clicked on the Get Windows 10 icon in the taskbar and the screen that popped up says:
    "Starting download ...
    Once download is complete, you can start
    the upgrade, or schedule it for later."
    After 5 hours it is still downloading. I checked Task Manager and it says Get Windows is running. Is there any way I can check what is going on?

:)

ewnowak, Mar 21, 2016
  2. Bill G193 Win User

W 10 Upgrade, long reboot, and I am still using Windows 7.

*O.T.> W 10 Upgrade

I decided to take the plunge and try Windows 10. It took 5 hours to download the program on Saturday. After a long reboot, I still had Windows 7. On Sunday, I downloaded a fresh W 10 from Microsoft. This time it took 2 hours to download. Again, a long reboot,
    and I am still using Windows 7. I followed all the step by step instructions and am unable to get W 10.

Bill G193, Mar 21, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Still Downloading After 72 Hours. This Can't Be Right....

What makes you say it's still downloading ? The status appearing when you click on the "Get Windows 10" icon ?

If it is, don't believe it.

• First of all, cancel reservation. Absolutely not necessary to reserve for upgrading.
    • Download the Media Tools from Microsoft here :
    Download Windows 10

• Burn a DVD with the tool. This DVD will be later useful to repair the computer or do a
      clean install (from scratch).
    • My advice : clone your disk (= system image) on an external disk. Not necessary but can be very useful sometimes, helas !
    • This done, start your present Windows and launch the program called setup.exe on the DVD
      from Windows (don't install after booting from the DVD). Upgrading phases will begin immediately (preparing, checking, etc).
    If you don't master, look for a friend or a club. Don't hurry, you have a complete year to do the upgrade.

Thierry DUGUET, Mar 21, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi ewnowak and welcome to Tenforums.

The download will be pretty big, between 3 and 4 GB, so it could take a while, depending on your internet speed. Once it's ready, it will show in Windows Update.
    You could also go directly to the MCT (Media Creation Tool) at the Microsoft website, and download that way, (through your browser, so you can watch the progress), or even the Microsoft TechBench website.

You can find all the information here:
    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

Hope that helps.

simrick, Mar 21, 2016
  5. Hello ewnowak Welcome to the Ten Forums!

I have to agree with simrock about the options for using the Media Creation tool or going direct to the Tech Bench Program's download page pointed to in the guide there over use of the 10 app many consider an annoyance! You may want to check a few things however since that has been running for several hours. First a look at the root of the C drive for any "$Windows~BT" "WS" even a "QT folder will be one way to show if 10 has already finished downloading and the 10 app has simply hung open on you.

The place to look is in the Windows Update found in the Control Panel to see if that shows anything for 10 there. Finding the BT most commonly seen however is a good indication that 10 did download but something hung up on you in the process.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Get Windows 10 app still downloading after 5 hours - Similar Threads - app still downloading

2. " Windows resuming " 5+ hours

in Windows 10 Gaming
    " Windows resuming " 5+ hours: All I see is the words Windows is resuming it's been like this for five hours please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-resuming-5-hours/788275ff-4861-4903-bd4c-3a50877e21c0
  3. " Windows resuming " 5+ hours

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    " Windows resuming " 5+ hours: All I see is the words Windows is resuming it's been like this for five hours please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-resuming-5-hours/788275ff-4861-4903-bd4c-3a50877e21c0
  4. Why still after 5 years still windows 10 ABSOLUTE TRASH?!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why still after 5 years still windows 10 ABSOLUTE TRASH?!: for god sake fix the damn thing instead of keep adding features no one want fix core principals of your OS no wonder share percentage os windows keep dwindling compare to Linux! i can see the damn files but search wont find it! even trashier than that is indexing option...
  5. my pc get slow after working for 4 to 5 hours

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my pc get slow after working for 4 to 5 hours: my pc get slow after working for 4 to 5 hours my ram 32 gb 1660 ti graphics card and my processor is ryzen 7 3700x intel660p 1tb m.2 nvme ssd 1tb wd blue but af i restart my pc get back to normal...
  6. Windows 10 update still at 91% after 12 hours !?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update still at 91% after 12 hours !?: Hi , I was on my laptop last night and a update for windows 10 popped up so i got it going and normally thay dont take too long but its been over 12 hours at 91 % complete. im heading out to work and when i get back if its still stuck at that point it will be nearly 24 hours....
  7. My downloading screen of windows 10 still show 0% Progress since 5 hours ago

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My downloading screen of windows 10 still show 0% Progress since 5 hours ago: Dear Microsoft, This afternoon i have buy the latest Windows 10 Pro from Microsoft Store and I paid at 3.799.000 IDR by my Visa Card. I'm from Indonesia. But why, since 5 hours ago there are no progress download and still stuck at 0% progress. Please help me to follow it...
  8. Time gets reset 5 hours ahead

in Windows 10 Support
    Time gets reset 5 hours ahead: I dual boot into Linux and everytime I do so, so it seems, my Win10 time is reset to +5 hours. e.g. instead of 8PM, it is showing 1AM. I am not sure if Linux is just a correlation, not a causation. Could it be my battery went bad? However, if so, why does it roll the clock...
  9. Fusion 5 app download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fusion 5 app download: Hello. Have just bought this tablet from Amazon but am unable to load the z21 app to control my model rail layout this is the new app the black one not the red one if you look. How can I do this if at all. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  10. Windows 10 Updates Still Taking Hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates Still Taking Hours: I've had my HP 15 laptop for a little over a year now. Last night I got a pop-up wanting to update. I clicked Remind Me Later. In less than a minute, the screen went blue supposedly because the computer had to restart due to an error. I hardly believe this was coincidence. It...