Windows 10: Getting a new cpu/mobo. when to format hdd? before install or can it b

Discus and support Getting a new cpu/mobo. when to format hdd? before install or can it b in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Getting a new cpu/mobo. when to format hdd? before install or can it be done after I install the new stuff? Was kinda thinking of putting the new stuff... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Scyris, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Scyris Win User

Getting a new cpu/mobo. when to format hdd? before install or can it b

Getting a new cpu/mobo. when to format hdd? before install or can it be done after I install the new stuff? Was kinda thinking of putting the new stuff in then turning it on, and then.. formatting if I remember how btw... how do I do this again? with windows 10 dvd

Also will the mobo configure the bios on its own other than maybe boot order and such?

Thanks.

:)

Scyris, Jul 29, 2017

2. Windows Installation Question

Dont upgrade the motherboard. Unless you will get a substantial boost from the new mobo you could simply upgrade the CPU and not the mobo

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 29, 2017
  3. BsoD before windows installation. PLEASE HELP

hmm, what do you think the hardware problem would be? RAM, CPU, Mobo?

FireFromUpNorth, Jul 29, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

You can format it during windows installation. Installation routine haven't changed much since XP.
    Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    Basically, you need a bootable W10 installation media, (USB or DVD), boot new computer with it and delete all partitions on the HDD/SSD so windows can create their own as required. Let it go thru to the end and update drivers as required.
    As far BIOS is concerned it will most probably ask you to enter BIOS by pressing some F key. Once it opens you'll most probably have to set date and time first. If you connect your HDD/SSD to first SATA port, BIOS will find it and set as first BOOT device. Most also have options to set Enhanced BIOS options which should set your RAM and other parameters to best default options.
    Once you save and exit BIOS next screen should show you option to choose BOOT device and you should choose media you are installing windows from. After that windows installation should start and you can do what is required in first part of this explanation.
    Download and study MB manual first even before beginning all of this.

CountMike, Jul 29, 2017
Thema:

1. Getting a new cpu/mobo. when to format hdd? before install or can it b - Similar Threads - Getting cpu mobo

2. Forgot to Unhook HDD before Windows Install

in Windows 10 Support
    Forgot to Unhook HDD before Windows Install: I installed Windows 10 on my SSD and failed to disconnect the dam hard drive before doing so. So..now I have my boot drive on the HDD and OP on the SSD which would be no big deal but I can't delete it to access all 6 terabytes ( trying to convert to from mbr to gpt to get...
  3. Installing windows on Intel DQ35JO mobo and E5500 C2D CPU

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing windows on Intel DQ35JO mobo and E5500 C2D CPU: So I tried to install windows on this system - DQ35JO Intel motherboard and E5500 Core 2 Duo CPU. On a fresh just from a shop SSD. I bought PC without Hard drive o added new SSD. When connected SSD and plugged in USB flash disk with Windows 10 Home edition 64 Bit that I used...
  4. Windows key deactivated, after new mobo and cpu.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows key deactivated, after new mobo and cpu.: I get this message to activate windows but when I do it says that I "don't have a valid digital license or product key" error code 0x803f7001 70209
  5. Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after CPU and mobo upgrade: I'm updating my wife's Home PC to a new CPU and mobo (old had only 4G DDR2 memory and was slower than molasses). This PC was originally Win 7 Home and I used the free upgrade facility to go to Win 10 Home. This PC is listed as one of my devices under my account at...
  6. Cannot format brand new HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot format brand new HDD: Purchased a WD 6TB Blue yesterday, ran disk management and created one partition using NTFS. Formatted and did its thing but it just displays the total size of the partition with RAW next to it. Tried reformatting again to NTFS but I get the error; "The format did not...
  7. Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?

Can I upgrade and then clean install with a new HDD?: Hi all, I'm finally thinking to upgrade from W7 to W10. Here's the situation at the moment: 1) 256GB System SSD 2) 1TB data HDD 3) 3TB Raid 1 HDD for backup I want to mount a new 500GB SSD as primary system drive, so I was thinking to use this occasion to put W10...
  8. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847
  9. CRASH - mobo burned, how to get a new GWX?

in Windows 10 Support
    CRASH - mobo burned, how to get a new GWX?: Greetings. My mobo died last week, and I am up and running again with a new installed windows 8.1. BUt allthough I have done all updates, I don't have the GWX app*sarc. The reservation I made earlier is useless now, as I had to install from scratch. How do I sign up for...
  10. format partition before installation

format partition before installation: Hi there, I did a clean install of windows 10 (previously i had windows 7 64 bit) and when asked me where to install windows 10 there were the options 1) the partition where i had windows 7 110 gb ssd and 2) system reserved ~100 mb. I want to know if there is a problem or...