Windows 10: Getting a new drive what Windows key should I buy?

Discus and support Getting a new drive what Windows key should I buy? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, buying a new drive what type of key should I buy. A genuine one or an OEM? I've never understood the differences between the two of them. 78925 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by hollyoaks777, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Getting a new drive what Windows key should I buy?

Hi, buying a new drive what type of key should I buy. A genuine one or an OEM? I've never understood the differences between the two of them.

:)

hollyoaks777, Mar 8, 2017
  2. rafianmul Win User

changing hard drive

I have a Lenovo g510 laptop. I want to change the hard drive of this laptop but how I am going to get back my windows on a new hard drive? if I download it from the Microsoft website it will ask for activation key. What should I do now to get my original
    windows 10 from my old hard drive to new hard drive?

rafianmul, Mar 8, 2017
  3. shadis4 Win User
    what should i get??????

Well your right.

shadis4, Mar 8, 2017
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Getting a new drive what Windows key should I buy?

Hi hollyoaks777,
    If you had Win10 on your old HD and all you are doing is replacing the HD you don't need to but a new license. After you reinstall Win 10, as long as you're installing the same version, it will automatically activate. Just skip the serial number and it will contact the MS activation servers and reactivity. I did the same thing earlier today.

SoFine409, Mar 8, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Mar 8, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    The software is the same between the two, Pro is the same as Pro, Home is the same as Home. Some OEMs add what they want which is called "Bloatware". If wanting to avoid Bloatware and having to buy a copy of the OS anyway, go for the Retail version, has nothing extra added.

An OEM or System Builder software is usually cheaper but becomes tied to the computer when installed. The Retail or Upgrade version can be installed on a Replacement computer but not both at the same time. The Product Keys are dependent upon which edition is installed, e.g. Home or Pro, but usually can be either 32-bit or 64-bit.

Berton, Mar 8, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Legally, according to Microsoft licensing, you can't use the OEM version on a computer that you intend to keep and use yourself. OEM is only for installing on a computer that you are going to sell. Physically, of course, you can.

As SoFine409 stated, though, since you are putting this new drive into a computer that has already had Windows 10 installed on it, all you have to do during Windows 10 install is click the link that says "I don't have a product key" when it asks you for a product key. As long as you install the same version (Home or Pro) that was on the computer before, when you connect to the internet it will activate itself. You don't need to purchase anything.

Source:
    https://dpcenter.microsoft.com/en/Wi...multi-language

"4. Limited License. If you comply with the terms
    of this license, Microsoft grants you a limited
    license to preinstall and distribute the software.
    Except as granted in this license, you may
    not use, run
    , copy, modify, display, distribute,
    repackage or reassemble the software. You may
    not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble
    the software, except to the extent expressly
    permitted by this license or by applicable law
    notwithstanding this prohibition. All rights not
    expressly granted are reserved."

NavyLCDR, Mar 8, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

In simple terms an oem licence is like a cheap air ticket - tied to flight for which you bought it. A standalone licence is like a full fair ticket ie you can transfer to any flight.

cereberus, Mar 8, 2017
  9. Thanks.

10. Thanks

11. lx07 Win User
    Don't use the word "legally" when you mean "legally (in the US perhaps)".

You mean "according to MS EULA". Which terms are legally valid depends on what country you live in.

In Europe it certainly is legal to transfer OEM licenses.

12. I've always wondered why they say OEM. Because surely that means it was released to a new machine. Waiting to be activated. Does it not?

13. lx07 Win User

Yeah, that is the main case. You can buy OEM license as well which has the same restrictions in the license agreement. It says you can only sell the license with the hardware it is on. This clause doesn't apply in all countries even though it is in the terms.

My point was what the license agreement says and what is legal or not isn't necessarily the same. There can be all sort of odd stuff in a license agreement - iTunes EULA for example said not to use it to aid "the development, design, manufacture, or production of nuclear, missile, or chemical or biological weapons.”. Covering their bases I guess.

Interestingly all the PCs I've upgraded to 10 have assumed retail license so perhaps MS don't care so much about the distinction any more.

14. Oh I wasn't questioning your knowledge. I was just interested to hear if that was the case for OEM licence. Thanks lx07

hollyoaks777, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting a new drive what Windows key should I buy? - Similar Threads - Getting drive key

2. Reinstalling windows 10 pro and no physical key - Should I buy new serial key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling windows 10 pro and no physical key - Should I buy new serial key?: In 2015s I forgot when exactly I buy this bought windows 7 professional 64 bit, and when windows 10 was released I use the free upgrade to upgrade my windows. I have not reinstalled my windows since that and my hardware motherboard, processors, vga almost stayed the same. But...
  3. Reinstalling windows 10 pro and no physical key - Should I buy new serial key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling windows 10 pro and no physical key - Should I buy new serial key?: In 2015s I forgot when exactly I buy this bought windows 7 professional 64 bit, and when windows 10 was released I use the free upgrade to upgrade my windows. I have not reinstalled my windows since that and my hardware motherboard, processors, vga almost stayed the same. But...
  4. Reinstalling windows 10 pro and no physical key - Should I buy new serial key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?

should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?: I want to use this key to transfer many times in the future. So a retail product key can be used for future version of windows? like windows 11, windows 12pretend next version after 11 is 12? or I cannot?...
  6. should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?: I want to use this key to transfer many times in the future. So a retail product key can be used for future version of windows? like windows 11, windows 12pretend next version after 11 is 12? or I cannot?...
  7. should I buy an OEM product key for windows 10 or buy a retail product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Where should i buy dvd drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Where should i buy dvd drives: since im replacing my old laptop ive been trying to find where to buy dvd drives that are 12mm where should i buy one? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-should-i-buy-dvd-drives/00b158c6-8d5c-4751-ab18-3ad1b42f2c5a
  9. Which activation key should I buy?

Which activation key should I buy?: Hello, I'm really confused about all the windows 10 activation keys, their validity and stuff. I saw a few places selling activation keys and I just need to know if I can use them to re activate windows when I upgrade my hardware (eg change motherboad, CPU). I read the MS...
  10. Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC?: Hello Should I buy a new PC or upgrade what I have? USE: I use my PC for web design, graphics (Photoshop/Xara etc), some 3D design and general purpose business. I would like a higher resolution monitor (4K??) with reasonably accurate colours for web/graphic design....