Windows 10: Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD

Discus and support Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I bought a Samsung sm951 to replace my 840 Pro. The sm951 was installed in a PCI slot using an adapter which gave it 4 lanes for data usage. I imaged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by socklosk, Jun 17, 2016.

1. socklosk Win User

Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD

I bought a Samsung sm951 to replace my 840 Pro. The sm951 was installed in a PCI slot using an adapter which gave it 4 lanes for data usage. I imaged my 850 Pro SSD and then I restored the image to the sm951 SSD, but the computer would not boot from the new drive, saying that the OS could not be found. But it gave me the option of doing a repair to the new image which enabled my system to boot off the sm951 drive (however I had to reinstall all my data and configurations.)

My question is why did the sm951 not boot straight away after I programmed it to be the boot device?

:)

socklosk, Jun 17, 2016
  2. JS72 Win User

download Windows 10 upgrade to dvd

Right... but how do I get the W10 clean install on the new SSD after it is on the old disk drive ? I want to take out the disk drive and clean install it on the new SSD . Do you mean the option to clean install on the SSD will be available if both drives
    are in during the upgrade ? Then I can remove the old drive and it will then boot with W10 on the SSD?

3. slance310 Win User
    Windows 10 Sign in issues after SSD clone

Hi,

My experience with cloning is that it doesn't always work for various reasons...

Especially if the HDD\SSD's are of a different size...

You may have better luck if you were to make an image of the old SSD, then load it onto the new one..

You may need to adjust the partitions to fit the new SSD if it is of a larger size...

The reloading on an image is done while booting from the imaging programs boot media, and not from within Windows, which helps to reduce any interference from Windows..

BTW... Have you set the new SSD as the Boot Device ?

If using UEFI Bios you would select "Windows Boot Manager", not the actual drive like you would with the older Legacy Bios...

slance310, Jun 17, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

It's a UEFI NVRAM thing: it stores the low-level device IDs in non-volatile RAM and won't boot to a drive whose IDs don't match (as they never will when you switch from an old SSD of any kind to a new one). The Paragon "Migrate OS to SSD" manual explains what's going on in some detail.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jun 17, 2016
  5. socklosk Win User
    But I was able to make an image from one of my computers and restore to another computer with different hardware and it restored without incident.

socklosk, Jun 17, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Lucky you! I discovered the need for Migrate OS to SSD when I attempted to clone a smaller SSD onto a larger, faster one on the same machine. That's what led me to the whole UEFI NVRAM parameter thing and to Paragon's solution for the problem. Having worked with Windows since the early days (3.0 forward) I can't say things will be the same on all machines. My own experience taught me one set of solutions, but I'm not surprised to read that your experience has taught you something different.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting an new SSD to boot after imaging it from an old SSD - Similar Threads - Getting SSD boot

2. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  3. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?: I have two M.2 SSD's. Removing them is a bit of a pain, I'd like to avoid this if possible.On my old SSD, I have created a system image from the backup settings and stored this on my external hard drive.My new SSD also has Windows on it, but it doesn't have any of my old...
  4. How to do a system image restore to new SSD from old SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned old NVME ssd to new NVME ssd, new ssd won't boot windows. Get stop code inaccessible...: So, I cloned my old nvme SSD to my new one. I only had one slot and the old drive was only about 120 gb with the new one being about 1tb. Everything cloned over fine, the OS, etc. It's just it keeps trying to locate the old drive C instead of the new one E. Disk 2 is the old...
  6. Can't get windows to boot from new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't get windows to boot from new ssd: I've transferred everything to my new ssd using macrium reflect, however when I changed the primary boot drive to my new ssd it my pc will not boot and asks me to go back into bios and select a boot device, any help would be appreciated thanks. (sorry if this isn't the right...
  7. New SSD is not an option to boot from

New SSD is not an option to boot from: I have a MSI B450 Gaming pro wifi max which has 2 M.2 slots on the board. I started by installing one in M2_1 and that booted fine had it for about a month. I then wanted to change things up (long story) so I bought another SSD exactly the same. The new SSD was placed in M2_2...
  8. Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD

Windows will not boot from SSD after reformatting old HDD: Hi, I was running Win 10 on my old HDDs. I have successfully installed Win 10 on a new SSD and I was able to boot Windows on it. At startup, Win10 would prompt me if I wanted Win10 from Volume 1 (SSD) or from Volume 3 (old HDD). I migrated all of my contents to the SSD and...
  9. Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD

Unable to Boot to Windows 10 after Cloning old SSD to new SSD: Hi, My old SSD (with windows 10 installed) is not big enough, so I bought a new one, Samsung 970 EVO with NVMe. After cloning my old SSD to the new one using Clonezilla and replacing the SSD, I was not able to boot to Windows. I selected the Windows Boot Manager in the BIOS...
  10. New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary

in Windows 10 Support
    New Computer with boot from SSD & old computer's boot HDD as secondary: Greetings. I just built a new computer with an SSD boot drive and the boot HDD from the old computer as a second drive. Both drives have Win10-1803 on them, and each is bootable in the new PC. In the interest of conserving space on the SSD, I want to install programs on both...