Windows 10: Getting CoreTemp to start in system tray

Discus and support Getting CoreTemp to start in system tray in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm having a weird issue with CoreTemp at startup on my new Windows 10 64-bit PC. I'm using it to display the temp and CPU load in my system tray. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rivre, Aug 15, 2016.

1. rivre Win User

Getting CoreTemp to start in system tray

I'm having a weird issue with CoreTemp at startup on my new Windows 10 64-bit PC. I'm using it to display the temp and CPU load in my system tray. I have it set to run at startup, and I have "start Core Temp minimized" selected. Yet during system startup the CoreTemp Window still appears briefly in the corner of the screen before it disappears into my tray. Is there any way to get this to not appear at all during startup? It bugs me to see this appear at each startup. On my old Windows 7 PC it didn't do that, even if I closed it and ran it manually - it would start silently in the system tray.

:)

rivre, Aug 15, 2016

2. Performence heavily reduce after windows Fall Creator Update

What have you done to address the overheating?

I also like CoreTemp which will put the temps in the System Tray and set an Overheat alert to Sleep or Hibernate if it reaches the CPU Max.

Core Temp

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 15, 2016
  3. windows 10 failed to update error c1900101-2000c

Overheating should be dealt with as a separate issue first. Check temps for overheating by installing
    Core Temp
    which will allow monitoring temps from System Tray. If running hot try to
    clean out laptop dust.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 15, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

Have you gone to Options > Settings > General and checked Start with Windows?

Getting CoreTemp to start in system tray [​IMG]

essenbe, Aug 15, 2016
  5. rivre Win User
    Yes, I've done that. It starts with Windows. The problem is that the main CoreTemp window appears on the desktop for the first couple seconds it starts, before minimizing to the system tray. I want to have it start silently so I don't see that window pop up as it starts.

rivre, Aug 15, 2016
  6. essenbe Win User
    If you have it set the way you describe, I don't know of anything else you can do.

essenbe, Aug 15, 2016
  7. zekeblue Win User
    It may not make a difference but maybe worth a shot..... Uncheck Start with Windows. Create a shortcut to run the program from the Startup folder in the Start Menu. In properties for the shortcut, choose "minimized" in the "Run" dropdown.

zekeblue, Aug 16, 2016
  8. rivre Win User

I just gave that a try and it doesn't even run at startup now which doesn't make sense. I tried putting the shortcut in both my appdata roaming startup folder and the Program Data all user startup folder, and in both cases CoreTemp won't run at startup and the temps don't appear in the tray. I don't get it - it runs immediately and opens in the system tray if I run it manually after the PC starts (after the UAC prompt of course). Why can't I just put the shortcut in the startup folder?

I'm currently running into a similar issue with EVGA precision X for my Nvidia card. All I want is to be able to monitor my CPU temp, CPU usage, and GPU temp in my system tray at startup. Is there any software that can do this reliably? RealTemp is almost perfect but it won't show CPU usage, only CPU and GPU temps.

rivre, Aug 16, 2016
  9. rivre Win User
    This seems to be an issue with CoreTemp - I found this link which posts it as a bug report:

ALCPU Forums • View topic - Minimized start flash main window / no silent start

Settings (checked): start core temp minimized, close core temp to the notification area, hide taskbar button

and on that page is also a link to a video so you can see exactly what it looks like when it starts:

's video - coretempflash | Vidme

If I start the program manually, that flash doesn't happen. It only happens if I set the program to run at startup. So is there a trick or workaround to get this to start in the system tray at startup without that flash?

I also tried to create a scheduled task but it still won't startup. I think UAC is preventing this from starting up via shortcuts and scheduled tasks. I have to actually select the startup option in the software settings but then I get that flash when it first starts up.

rivre, Aug 16, 2016
  10. zekeblue Win User
    I run core temp and do experience the flash of the program before it goes to the tray as you describe. But it doesn't bother me and I've not looked for a workaround or fix.

If it is a known bug, perhaps it will be fixed in time.

zekeblue, Aug 16, 2016
  11. essenbe Win User
    Even starting it from a desktop shortcut, I have UAC kick in and it also shows the screen before being minimized. If you will put the shortcut in C:/Program data/microsoft/windows/start menu/programs/startup it should start and you can use task manager to enable it or disable it running at startup.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting CoreTemp to start in system tray - Similar Threads - Getting CoreTemp start

2. Geforce Experience not starting on startup and is not in system tray

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Geforce Experience not starting on startup and is not in system tray: Hello. On my old pc Geforce Experience were always running, so i would get notificated when there was a new driver for my graphic card, but i just bought a new pc and i have Geforce Experience on it, but it doesnt start on statup and i dont have it in system tray, how do i...
  3. Geforce Experience not starting on startup and is not in system tray

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Geforce Experience not starting on startup and is not in system tray: Hello. On my old pc Geforce Experience were always running, so i would get notificated when there was a new driver for my graphic card, but i just bought a new pc and i have Geforce Experience on it, but it doesnt start on statup and i dont have it in system tray, how do i...
  4. Geforce Experience not starting on startup and is not in system tray

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Issue with apps not getting activated in the system tray.

Issue with apps not getting activated in the system tray.: I am using onedrive on my pc and its icon keeps disappearing from the system tray. I have tried whatever the other answers related to this topic have told and nothing has worked. Apart from onedrive, I am using a software call X Mouse button control to use the extra buttons...
  6. Problem with the system tray and slight stuttering of Start Menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with the system tray and slight stuttering of Start Menu: Hi everyone, I need some help. So my laptop boots up perfectly fine and the windows 10 apps and the desktop apps also work perfectly. The problem i face is with the system tray or whatever the icons on the bottom right of the taskbar are called. When i try to click on...
  7. System tray

System tray: So not sure if it's widely known here, but I found out you can drag the system tray icons about to change the order. 140017
  8. system tray

system tray: the date and time have disappeared. I've tried everything but nothing works. Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-tray/c2528115-5a76-4248-96e4-59575a562265
  9. Starting a program directly to the system tray (No window)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Starting a program directly to the system tray (No window): Hi all, I run a VPN on my desktop which autostarts when I boot up, using the VPN's included software. This opens a window showing me that I am connecting and general details. Usually, I immediately close the window, which has the effect of the program minimizing to the...
  10. Start Outlook to system tray at logon

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Start Outlook to system tray at logon: Hello to everybody, What I would like to do is to start Outlook 2016 at logon minimized to the notification area (system tray) ONLY. I have tried it in 3 different ways: 1. Created a task to run after 1 minute from logon. <Command>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to keep core temp showin in system tray

2. cpu temp in task bar