Windows 10: Getting different file icons for XML and TXT

Discus and support Getting different file icons for XML and TXT in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Does anyone know if there's a way in Win 10 to get different icons associated with file types that are tied together, such as xml and txt? I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kovsky, Oct 20, 2015.

1. kovsky Win User

Getting different file icons for XML and TXT

Hi,
    Does anyone know if there's a way in Win 10 to get different icons associated with file types that are tied together, such as xml and txt?

I've tried setting a new icon for either xml/txt using Nirsoft FileTypesMan, but (as the the software points out) they're tied together, and changing one changes the other too. (FileTypesMan points out "Notice - Changing the properties of this file type may affect the following extensions: .txt, .xml")

Also tried setting DefaultIcon for xmlfile in regedit, but to no avail. Clearing icon cache afterwards also doesn't seem to matter.

So is there a way to do this, or to break the connection between xml-txt?

Did I miss something obvious? Any ideas?

:)

kovsky, Oct 20, 2015

2. I'm trying to convert a notepad .txt file into a .xml file so I can embed it into a website.

* Original Title: Notepad .txt to .xml file

I'm trying to convert a notepad .txt file into a .xml file so I can embed it into a website. Anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks

Nutty_squirrel64, Oct 20, 2015
  3. No Bluetooth connection with N95 and PC Suite

Hi

Sorry to sound ignorant but how do you do that? It will only let me attach files with valid extensions log,txt,bat,xml. I want to attach a jpg

I have tried reinstalling the BT software and re-pairing the phone but it made no difference.

fredcb---01, Oct 20, 2015
  4. JoeMcLutz Win User

Hi.
    I've got the same problem with different filetypes ("Notice - Changing the properties of this file type may affect the following extensions: .avi, .okt, .sid"). I've not found a solution yet. *Sad

JoeMcLutz, May 2, 2016
  5. JoeMcLutz Win User
    Well... I found a topic in russian (search with google "Changing the properties of this file type may affect the following extensions") and I tried to translate it into italian (my native language)... It seems to work.
    I succeeded in splitting .okt from .avi/.sid (I'm going to try it later for .sid too):
    (All 3 file extentions have VLC as default app)
    1) I right-clicked on one .okt file and selected to start it with ModPlugTracker by default.
    2) I changed icon with a custom one I made (I had the problem with common icons for every of the three file types).
    3) I right-clicked on one .okt file and selected to start it with VLC by default (as it was before).
    The change did not affect neither .avi file type, nor .sid.

I hope it will work for you too. *Smile
    Greetings,
    Joe

JoeMcLutz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting different file icons for XML and TXT - Similar Threads - Getting different file

2. Different display between .txt file in Notepad and Sharepoint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Different display between .txt file in Notepad and Sharepoint: Why does my report in Notepad look different if I open it on Sharepoint? The ".txt" file is first downloaded from ORACLE and then some manual changes are made to the report. The columns look well placed on my PC, but when I open the report on Sharepoint I see the columns...
  3. Different display between .txt file in Notepad and Sharepoint

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Different display between .txt file in Notepad and Sharepoint: Why does my report in Notepad look different if I open it on Sharepoint? The ".txt" file is first downloaded from ORACLE and then some manual changes are made to the report. The columns look well placed on my PC, but when I open the report on Sharepoint I see the columns...
  4. Different display between .txt file in Notepad and Sharepoint

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. TXT FILES PROBLEM

TXT FILES PROBLEM: Hello there my SSD disk broken from power suply and i had another one. I put the new one and i put the windows 10 i had buy.I let windows to update many times now and after 2 weeks i opened some txt files i had in second disk but the outcome is that i cant read it. I suppose...
  6. Exact same .txt files looks different on different computers

Exact same .txt files looks different on different computers: I have a barcode scanner that saves barcodes as .txt files , which we upload to a PC. One of my drivers .txt files however are not formatted correctly, for some reason the lines are double spaced on the files she emails in. I got the scanner from her and when I open the .txt...
  7. download .xml file

download .xml file: I am unable to download .xml files and changing the setting doesn't work/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-xml-file/e09a3a25-3436-4466-8f2a-918f6ece0a21
  8. XML Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    XML Files: Hi folks! Just registered to this forum and glad to have found it. So I was installing Ubuntu on my computer which already had windows 10.I wanted to have a dual OS. Things went south and windows got deleted/ over written or whatever. I used a hard drive recovery device to...
  9. Corrupted .TXT Files?

Corrupted .TXT Files?: I don't want to add unnecessary details, so I will keep this simple. A friend created a .7z archive and password protected it with a long password. He saved this password int a .txt file but lost that txt file and didn't know how to recover it. He simply kept the archive...
  10. how to convert the txt file into xml file

how to convert the txt file into xml file: I have used the application for conversion txt into xml file but when I convert it is showing an error that is something called as no program to convert it what should I do for conversion .But I know that it is silly question but it is part of my seeking the knowledge...