Windows 10: Getting past firewall for updates

Discus and support Getting past firewall for updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My mother is living in a retirement community which has a draconian firewall setup. She is unable to download windows10 updates to her computer. She... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Dewdman42, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Dewdman42 Win User

Getting past firewall for updates

My mother is living in a retirement community which has a draconian firewall setup. She is unable to download windows10 updates to her computer. She can access standard network ports like email, http, etc. but for example, netflix does not work there, and windows10 update is also handicapped.

Does anyone know of a way for me to keep her windows 10 computer up to date, notwithstanding this problem? This could included setting up a proxy server at my house if that will solve the problem, or manually downloading the updates through the web or ftp somehow.

Any advice welcome..

:)

Dewdman42, Mar 9, 2016

2. 0x800c0503 - Google 2-step verification doesn't work

Anyone having this issue, it may be what I found it to be. Firewall! I use ESet security. To get past this I disabled the firewall, entered 2 step verification code, enabled firewall again.

Hope that helps!

MattHanrahan, Mar 9, 2016
  3. Holly1958 Win User
    Microsoft False Warnings

For the last few days I have been getting warnings from Microsoft that my virus protection and Firewall are not on. However, I have Norton virus protection for virus and firewall turned on. I looked this up to see if anyone had this problem in the past
    and saw that this has been a problem in the past and was solved by a Windows Update. I know I am protected by Norton but these messages are very annoying. Hopefully someone from Microsoft will see this and report it so a future update will be applied to
    remedy this problem.

Holly

Holly1958, Mar 9, 2016
Thema:

Getting past firewall for updates

1. Getting past firewall for updates - Similar Threads - Getting past firewall

2. Cannot get past first page

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot get past first page: When I turn my computer on, it will not allow the camera to see me and automatically sign me in. How do I make the camera see me? I probably have a password, but I cannot recall it. Can I access the password so I can write it down. I have tried to guess the password,...
  3. Unable to get past Surface screen after restarting for update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to get past Surface screen after restarting for update: Hi! My Surface Pro 3 is unable to get past the surface screen after restarting for the May update. Any help here? Thanks! 134305
  4. Unable to get past Surface screen after restarting for update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to get past Surface screen after restarting for update: Hi! My Surface Pro 3 is unable to get past the surface screen after restarting for the May update. Any help here? Thanks! 134305
  5. Can't get past the 'Blue screen of death' after update.

Can't get past the 'Blue screen of death' after update.: I'll get straight into it: after a recent windows update with spotty wifi, I haven't been able to get into my acer laptop. Whenever I load it up it gives me the "windows ran into a problem and needs to restart, we are just collecting error information :( ", then restarts to...
  6. Windows update cant get past 83 procent

Windows update cant get past 83 procent: I am trying to update to Windows 10 Insider Preview 18282.1000 (rs_prerelease) from Windows 10 Insider Preview 18277(rs_prerelease) The first time I tried it got to 63% completed and rebooted, the second time it got to 83% and rebooted and I am currently stuck at that. When...
  7. unable to get past administratior password

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unable to get past administratior password: A friend of mine gave me back a computer that i purchased for her a few years ago. I did not use it until the other day and found that i cannot upgrade or delete any programs due to my not having her admin password. Unfortunately, she recently passed away. How do i...
  8. Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications: Hi all, I have Windows Firewall disabled. I know this and it has to stay that way. I use a lot of AV apps that will not function with it on, even with exceptions. In any case, I keep getting toast alerts saying it is disabled and I can't get rid of it. I had Action...
  9. Cant get past login screen

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Cant get past login screen: Computer has been working on win 10 for several months. Lately had problems with login screen. We have never used a password before. Now I cant do anything because it demands a password which I do not know. Incidentally I now see two users with same name. One user...
  10. Can't get past the "working on it" window

Can't get past the "working on it" window: Can't get past the "working on it" window on the prep stage. It just keeps running. For hours. What now? *Mad 16457