Windows 10: Getting past firewall for updates

Discus and support Getting past firewall for updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My mother is living in a retirement community which has a draconian firewall setup. She is unable to download windows10 updates to her computer. She... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Dewdman42, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Dewdman42 Win User

Getting past firewall for updates

My mother is living in a retirement community which has a draconian firewall setup. She is unable to download windows10 updates to her computer. She can access standard network ports like email, http, etc. but for example, netflix does not work there, and windows10 update is also handicapped.

Does anyone know of a way for me to keep her windows 10 computer up to date, notwithstanding this problem? This could included setting up a proxy server at my house if that will solve the problem, or manually downloading the updates through the web or ftp somehow.

Any advice welcome..

:)

Dewdman42, Mar 9, 2016

2. 0x800c0503 - Google 2-step verification doesn't work

Anyone having this issue, it may be what I found it to be. Firewall! I use ESet security. To get past this I disabled the firewall, entered 2 step verification code, enabled firewall again.

Hope that helps!

MattHanrahan, Mar 9, 2016
  3. Holly1958 Win User
    Microsoft False Warnings

For the last few days I have been getting warnings from Microsoft that my virus protection and Firewall are not on. However, I have Norton virus protection for virus and firewall turned on. I looked this up to see if anyone had this problem in the past
    and saw that this has been a problem in the past and was solved by a Windows Update. I know I am protected by Norton but these messages are very annoying. Hopefully someone from Microsoft will see this and report it so a future update will be applied to
    remedy this problem.

Holly

Holly1958, Mar 9, 2016
Thema:

Getting past firewall for updates

1. Getting past firewall for updates - Similar Threads - Getting past firewall

2. Cant get newer update past 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant get newer update past 1903: Hi there, I hope someone could help me... I tried to update my windows 10 Pro, currently version 1903 OS Build 18362.1256. But when I press the check for update button, it said "You're up to date", but isnt that there is newer version?Thanks in advance for any assistance......
  3. Still getting firewall Notifications

in Windows 10 Customization
    Still getting firewall Notifications: Windows still giving me firewall notifications being turned off and the the ability to turn it off is greyed out when I click on settings so yah!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/still-getting-firewall-notifications/c47d27e8-e403-4323-8710-c903c46df8ce
  4. Can't get past BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't get past BSOD: My apologies for not following the BSOD log instructions/version number but I am unable to get past the BSOD. My Dell XPS 8900 is about 5 years old with OEM Win10. I have never reinstalled Win10 so guess I'm due. I remember reinstalling Win95 every 6 months. Problem started...
  5. Can't get past BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get past BIOS: My PC was working fine yesterday and I relocated apartments, and after that I cant get past BIOS. I have 2.5 SATA Samsung EVO 500GB and 3.5 SATA WD 1 TB; MSI Z270 SLI PLUS; i5 7600K; 2x8GB 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX. Everything is plug -When I power-off/restart my...
  6. Can't get past Login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Can't get past Login: When i try to login my login window will not accept any typing in the box. Can someone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-past-login/c14fc8d4-a390-44ae-89a2-76a3978acbd3
  7. Windows update cant get past 83 procent

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update cant get past 83 procent: I am trying to update to Windows 10 Insider Preview 18282.1000 (rs_prerelease) from Windows 10 Insider Preview 18277(rs_prerelease) The first time I tried it got to 63% completed and rebooted, the second time it got to 83% and rebooted and I am currently stuck at that. When...
  8. windows firewall update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows firewall update: i want help from you, for the sake of i am using windows defender firewall and didnt update in my pc for therts please help me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-firewall-update/c12a5c1c-c948-43f3-aa94-75f2f13a7715
  9. Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Getting Rid of Firewall Notifications: Hi all, I have Windows Firewall disabled. I know this and it has to stay that way. I use a lot of AV apps that will not function with it on, even with exceptions. In any case, I keep getting toast alerts saying it is disabled and I can't get rid of it. I had Action...
  10. Windows Update and firewall

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Update and firewall: I run a very hardened system, I lock down all incoming connections and remove all outgoing but core networking on a new install. How can I get windows update to connect to the internet again? I've unblocked svchost.exe for the Windows Update service and still nothing. Any...