Windows 10: Getting pidc.txt error box on startup

Discus and support Getting pidc.txt error box on startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro x64. Right after upgrading Comodo's CIS (free) from 8.x to 10.x last night and uninstalling a couple of the programs they forcibly included... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by highstream, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Getting pidc.txt error box on startup

Win 10 Pro x64. Right after upgrading Comodo's CIS (free) from 8.x to 10.x last night and uninstalling a couple of the programs they forcibly included (Geek Buddy and Dragon browser), I started getting an Error box at the very end of each computer startup, as follows:
    "The file C:\Windows\temp\pidc.txt could not be opened. The system could not find the file specified."
    On Comodo forums, someone suggested the following TechNet page that has been archived as applicable: Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt). That page says, "The PID.txt file contained the product key for the edition of Windows that you are installing." I wasn't installing Windows and the pid.txt file is there in C:\Windows\temp, so I'm not sure what to make of this or do about it. Any ideas? Thanks,

Getting pidc.txt error box on startup [​IMG]

:)

highstream, Dec 23, 2016

2. Getting pidc.txt error message

Win 10 Pro x64. After upgrading Comodo's CIS from 8.x to 10 last night and uninstalling a couple of the programs they forcibly included (Geek Buddy and Dragon browser), I started getting an Error box at the end of each computer startup, as follows:

"The file C:\Windows\temp\pidc.txt could not be opened. The system could not find the file specified."

On Comodo forums, someone suggested the following TechNet page that has been archived as applicable: Windows Setup Edition Configuration and Product ID Files (EI.cfg and PID.txt). That page says that "The PID.txt file contained the product key for the edition of Windows that
    you are installing." I wasn't installing Windows and the pid.txt file is there in C:\Windows\temp, so I'm not sure what to make of this or do about it. Any ideas? Thanks,

highstream, Dec 23, 2016
  3. Getting pidc.txt error message

Further testing showed it's a Comodo CIS bug

highstream, Dec 23, 2016
  4. Getting pidc.txt error box on startup

Sounds like you have a realhandle on what should and shouldn't be on machine.

Have you checked the Start-Up tab in task manager to see if they added something there for Geek Buddy, Dragon Browser or any other thing you did not ask for.

Caledon Ken, Dec 23, 2016
  5. No, but checking now they aren't there and I recognize everything in Task Mgr. I uninstalled both Geek Buddy and Dragon with Revo Pro even before CIS has finished its install (before rebooting).

highstream, Dec 23, 2016
  6. pepanee Win User
    1) Create an empty text file in that location with that file name.
    2) Restart the computer
    3) Does it open up after a restart?
    4) Try to delete that newly created file you made and restart the computer again
    5) What happen?

pepanee, Dec 23, 2016
  7. Yes, same error after opening, whether as a blank file or using the same or different text as pic.txt. It is in the Temp directory, if that's the key. Someone else is getting it:
    Getting pidc.txt error message ? Windows 10 | Windows 10 Forums

In addition, computer startup through the Windows screens is very much slower after creating that pidc.txt file.

Btw, the pic.txt file has the following:
    NumberOfCores

Not sure what cores that refers to, as I'm using an i7-4790K cpu, which is 8 core.

highstream, Dec 23, 2016
  8. Getting pidc.txt error box on startup

PID.txt is used to auto enter a product code when installing Windows. It's not used on an active install as far as I know. I add one to my install media, it goes in the sources folder. Your screen shot refers to a pidc.txt file, not the same thing as far as I know?

alphanumeric, Dec 23, 2016
  9. My belief is something is in start-up. I would audit the list. Is there anything in there for Comodo? If so disable as a test.

Caledon Ken, Dec 23, 2016
  10. Download and run autoruns

Watch lower left corner. When it say Ready, Save As a .arn file. Zip the file and attach to next post.

ComputerGeek, Dec 23, 2016
  11. It's Comodo - and with an additional odd problem.

After disabling all Comodo entries in Autoruns - Startup wasn't enough - two things happened in two tests with Comodo reenabled in-between:

- no pidc.txt error message
    - no keyboard

How would Comodo be tied to the keyboard? Autoruns.zip attached.

highstream, Dec 23, 2016
  12. I can't explain any connection between Comodo and keyboard issues. Did you use the Filter to display Comodo entries? There are lots of entries. Possible you disabled something else?

I'd do a Revo Uninstall of Comodo and then reinstall. If you do image backups (you should) I'd also be cautious and do an image backup before the uninstall as well for safe measure.

Unrelated but fyi:
    All those Yellow entries that say "File not found" are stale registry entries. The registry entry refers to a file on disk that was deleted but the registry entry wasn't also removed for some reason (Iwould guess the fault of an uninstaller. Don't know why but not uncommon to see this occur. That's why autoruns highlights it for you!). I periodically delete them (right click delete) but up to you. Create a System Restore point before hand (tho i've never yet had issue in deleting stale File Not Found registry entries)

ComputerGeek, Dec 23, 2016
  13. Getting pidc.txt error box on startup

I filed a formal bug report with Comodo, but will do a uninstall\reinstall (they want one too). I used Find (F3) to go through the Comodo entries, but when the keyboard wasn't working I went through them manually. Not hard, as all their Publisher entries show in caps, as one can see in your screenshot. I do periodically delete entries from autoruns; that's why there are not so many. And yes, I do one or two restore points a day (desktop icon), SyncBack Pro runs every three days (files) and I run a Windows image backup every week or two. Thanks,

highstream, Dec 23, 2016
  14. Did complete uninstall with Revo Uninstaller Pro (advanced scan) and clean reinstall and got the same results:

- pidc.txt error box

- no pidc.txt error after Comodo completely disabled (used filter), but keyboard disabled (not recognized) on reboot.

- New?: Since reinstall, ISE doesn't show in installed programs or autoruns. After the install, I unchecked Secure Shopping in Settings, if that's the reason why.

highstream, Dec 24, 2016
  15. Turned out Office Home & Student 2010 programs wouldn't open either after the CIS reinstall. Then when I disabled it all in autoruns, I couldn't get an internet connection! Crazy. So I just uninstalled the whole thing for now, and am using MBAM + Windows firewall.

highstream, Dec 24, 2016
Thema:

Getting pidc.txt error box on startup

1. Getting pidc.txt error box on startup - Similar Threads - Getting pidc txt

2. txt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    txt: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E7%94%A8%E8%AE%B0%E4%BA%8B%E6%9C%AC%E6%89%93/a16ba6b2-3e6b-4cfc-80be-a804366db214
  3. txt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    txt: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/%E7%94%A8%E8%AE%B0%E4%BA%8B%E6%9C%AC%E6%89%93/a16ba6b2-3e6b-4cfc-80be-a804366db214
  4. No password box on startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No password box on startup: Hello.I made a post about this before but did not get any help. Been on Win11 for over a month now, no issues before until now. I booted up out of sleep mode and for some reason there was no password box for me to log in. I restarted thinking it would help, instead I got...
  5. No password box on startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No password box on startup: Hello.I made a post about this before but did not get any help. Been on Win11 for over a month now, no issues before until now. I booted up out of sleep mode and for some reason there was no password box for me to log in. I restarted thinking it would help, instead I got...
  6. cant get verification txt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cant get verification txt: so after a windows update changed my security setting for my laptop, verification is needed to be sent via txt so i can log in, the problem was that my number registered on my Microsoft account starts with a +44 instead of a 0, so i am not getting txt verifications from...
  7. cant get verification txt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cant get verification txt: so after a windows update changed my security setting for my laptop, verification is needed to be sent via txt so i can log in, the problem was that my number registered on my Microsoft account starts with a +44 instead of a 0, so i am not getting txt verifications from...
  8. cant get verification txt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  9. my password box automatically get populated with dots at startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my password box automatically get populated with dots at startup: my password box get populated with dots automatically sometimes. even when i am using word than all of sudden dots starts to appear automatically unless i press backspace or some other key, kindly help me...
  10. Can't get to windows startup or run box

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't get to windows startup or run box: C:\Users\Des2b\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Startup THERE IS NO Startup Can't get to startup Can't get the windows run box Google search states go to Settings > Apps > Startup. THERE IS NO Startup Can I not go to a detailed view in settings like windows 7...