Windows 10: Getting ready for 10

Discus and support Getting ready for 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Planning to get 10, but I have a question 1st. What's the best way to test my mobo? I mean EVERYTHING; including all Sata, Video, Lan & USB ports. 3599 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CJW, Jan 20, 2015.

1. CJW
    CJW Win User

Getting ready for 10

Planning to get 10, but I have a question 1st.
    What's the best way to test my mobo? I mean EVERYTHING; including all Sata, Video, Lan & USB ports.

:)

2. Porky1221 Win User

Windows 10 Stuck on "Getting Ready" for hours.

Hi, I'm actually using a USB. I've tried to use the media creation tool multiple times. I've even used different USBs.

Porky1221, Jan 20, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Stuck on "Getting Ready" for hours.

Hi Porky. I'm Greg, a volunteer and eight year Windows MVP who will try to help you.

Is this a UEFI BIOS and are you booting the media as a UEFI flash stick if offered, then choosing Custom install and deleting all partitions down to Unallocated Space to clear the formatting and get it cleanest? Then click Next to let it auto-format needed
    partitions as begin, to make it foolproof.

If this fails reset BIOS or UEFI firmware to default, as shown here:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/comprehensive-lis...

While in UEFI/BIOS firmware, report back any settings choices for UEFI, CSM, Legacy BIOS, Secure Boot, Fast Boot, and the Boot order Priority. Pictures can help, attached in reply box using Attach Image button.

The illustrated steps for best possible install already given by Rob are here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Have the same issues persisted from before the reinstall? What were these exactly? What tests were run and fixes tried?

Have you tested the hardware using bootable RAM and hard drive full tests?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105647-ram...

http://blog.nowherelan.com/2013/04/04/boot-seat...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. We'll keep working with you until this is resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jan 20, 2015
  4. Getting ready for 10

Update your system spec's in your profile so we can advise you....

kingstonian, Jan 20, 2015
  5. kingstonian, Jan 20, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
    Your running windows 7 64bit, it will run 10

7. Phone Man Win User
    I see you have a self built PC, so you could try a dual boot with Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    There are different ways to do that and putting Windows 10 on a separate disk drive and then boot to it would be a good way to test your hardware. Plenty of help on here if you want to try it.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jan 20, 2015
  8. Vladimir Win User

Getting ready for 10

It's not always so simple. The changes in kernel, especially regarding the way that the OS handles GPU capabilities, may cause some trouble. I say that because I have a machine that runs Windows 7 nicely, but doesn't support Windows 8/8.1 only because the on-board video.

Vladimir, Jan 21, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    It's not always so simple. The changes in kernel, especially regarding the way that the OS handles GPU capabilities, may cause some trouble. I say that because I have a machine that runs Windows 7 nicely, but doesn't support Windows 8/8.1 only because the on-board video. True... I had a PC before this one and it only could go up to Win7. When I installed Win8/Win8.1 I would get errors over chip set issues. Overall the PC was not being supported by HP anymore and it just couldn't use any newer OS. It came with Vista new and I got it used and I was lucky to get Win7 to work.

If you have Win8 working more than likely Win10 will work.

BunnyJ, Jan 21, 2015
  10. Dude Win User
    It's not always so simple. The changes in kernel, especially regarding the way that the OS handles GPU capabilities, may cause some trouble. I say that because I have a machine that runs Windows 7 nicely, but doesn't support Windows 8/8.1 only because the on-board video. True... I had a PC before this one and it only could go up to Win7. When I installed Win8/Win8.1 I would get errors over chip set issues. Overall the PC was not being supported by HP anymore and it just couldn't use any newer OS. It came with Vista new and I got it used and I was lucky to get Win7 to work.

If you have Win8 working more than likely Win10 will work.
    Good to know, thanks Bunny and Vladimir

11. adamf Win User
    It's not always so simple. The changes in kernel, especially regarding the way that the OS handles GPU capabilities, may cause some trouble. I say that because I have a machine that runs Windows 7 nicely, but doesn't support Windows 8/8.1 only because the on-board video. Correct. There were people on eightforums who 8 worked for and 8.1 didn't. Try it and see. Probably if you have a fairly recent system it will work but you can't depend on it.

adamf, Jan 22, 2015
  12. groze Win User

If you have Win8 working more than likely Win10 will work. Bunnyj & Vladimir

You might want to try it again with either windows 8.1 or Windows 10 preview but make sure you are connected to the Internet & choose get updates while installing windows. In Windows 7 make sure the device instillation settings is set to yes.

The reason Microsoft has newer hardware updates. I had a HP printer that didn't work with windows 7, now it does after a recent windows update patch.

Didn't Microsoft lower the system requirements for Windows 10?

groze, Jan 22, 2015
  13. CJW
    CJW Win User

Getting ready for 10

I've updated my system specs.
    I was told that SiSoft Sandra may be able to fully test my mobo, I may try it out.

My original question still stands:
    What's the best way to test my mobo? I mean EVERYTHING; including all Sata, Video, Lan & USB ports.

14. Dudes and Dudesses...... A word, from an old and very well worn Computer Tech.

I'm running Windows 10, 9926 on my ten year old, home made PC, with an AMD 2X, 64 bit, 5200+ CPU and 4 GB of DDR2 Ram, on an MSI motherboard, that's been out for capacitor replacements twice. Yes, I did the work.

W-10 is installed on a spare, Seagate, 360GB SATA II hard drive, sitting on the desk beside my Desktop (tower).
    My main 1TB drive inside the desktop, is unplugged, for safety, as well as my 1TB Backup Drive.

If W-10 can install on this old PC, with all my hardware working, it should install and run on just about anything.
    But, don't install W-10 on your main hard drive, , , put it on a separate drive, because if it can see your main OS, it may Futz with it.

Above all, remember, that Windows 10, 9926 is a Beta Test version of an OS that won't be finished and released for possibly many months yet. So don't try to use it for your personal banking or other bookkeeping. Big Brother is Watching!

Cheers Mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Jan 26, 2015
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
Thema:

Getting ready for 10

1. Getting ready for 10 - Similar Threads - Getting ready

2. Getting new PC that is Windows 11 ready

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting new PC that is Windows 11 ready: I'm having to get a new computer that is WINDOWS 11 ready.Is it possible to just put my current drives in to the new computer in place of the one that is in there already, and then upgrade to WINDOWS 11 from that point?Reason why I ask this is, I have a number of programmes...
  3. Getting new PC that is Windows 11 ready

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting new PC that is Windows 11 ready: I'm having to get a new computer that is WINDOWS 11 ready.Is it possible to just put my current drives in to the new computer in place of the one that is in there already, and then upgrade to WINDOWS 11 from that point?Reason why I ask this is, I have a number of programmes...
  4. Getting new PC that is Windows 11 ready

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. PC is stuck on "Getting Windows ready, don't turn of your computer" after going to sleep...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC is stuck on "Getting Windows ready, don't turn of your computer" after going to sleep...: I just bought this secondhand PC and I factory reset it delete files but don't clean drive, download windows from this device, delete windows driver only and left it while it was on the "Getting Windows ready, don't turn off your computer" phase. When I came back it turns out...
  6. PC is stuck on "Getting Windows ready, don't turn of your computer" after going to sleep...

PC is stuck on "Getting Windows ready, don't turn of your computer" after going to sleep...: I just bought this secondhand PC and I factory reset it delete files but don't clean drive, download windows from this device, delete windows driver only and left it while it was on the "Getting Windows ready, don't turn off your computer" phase. When I came back it turns out...
  7. PC is stuck on "Getting Windows ready, don't turn of your computer" after going to sleep...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. My laptop is keep restarting in loop and showing windows getting ready

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is keep restarting in loop and showing windows getting ready: I tried every possible ways and keys to solve this but it’s not working what to do now let me know please help me Microsoft I have so much work to do but my laptop is not opening just restarting and showing windows getting ready....
  9. My laptop is keep restarting in loop and showing windows getting ready

My laptop is keep restarting in loop and showing windows getting ready: I tried every possible ways and keys to solve this but it’s not working what to do now let me know please help me Microsoft I have so much work to do but my laptop is not opening just restarting and showing windows getting ready....
  10. My laptop is keep restarting and showing that windows getting ready and it’s going in loop...

My laptop is keep restarting and showing that windows getting ready and it’s going in loop...: My laptop is keep restarting and showing that the windows is getting ready and it’s going in loop again again same thing is happening what to do I tried every possible ways to solve it but it not worked please help me Microsoft to solve this problem...