Windows 10: Getting Rid of Network Adapter Sequential Numbering!

Discus and support Getting Rid of Network Adapter Sequential Numbering! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. I have two Wi-Fi adapters on my Win10x64 PC - an internal and an external on the roof of my motorhome via USB. The first is named "Wi-Fi" and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lagunajim, Aug 27, 2016.

1. lagunajim Win User

Getting Rid of Network Adapter Sequential Numbering!

Hi. I have two Wi-Fi adapters on my Win10x64 PC - an internal and an external on the roof of my motorhome via USB.

The first is named "Wi-Fi" and the second "Wi-Fi 4", which drives me bananas.

In the registry I found two instances of "Wi-Fi 4" and changed them to "External Wi-Fi". The "classic" control panel displays for Network show this name. BUT, the modern gui still calls it "Wi-Fi 4", and I cannot find where this label is coming from.

Screen cap below shows the disparity.

Plz advise, thanks! /jim

Getting Rid of Network Adapter Sequential Numbering! [​IMG]

:)

lagunajim, Aug 27, 2016
  2. Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 27, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Laptop keyboard not working

After installing 10 my keyboard has no alpha input in all window applications. I only get sequential numbering with every key stroke.

JohnRegallis, Aug 27, 2016
  4. Onum Win User

Go into Control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and sharing centre

Then from the menu on the left select select 'Change adapter settings'

Single click on the one you want to rename and a new menu ribbon appears above it. Select 'Rename this connection' and type the desired name.

5. lagunajim Win User
    Eureka! I was outsmarting myself by changing the name directly in the registry. By changing it as you suggest, it changed the settings I was aware of and ALSO the setting reflected in the 'Modern GUI'.

THANKS!

lagunajim, Aug 28, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    The numbering comes out of how Windows and every OS marks the adapter in its library of hardware devices with the Same Serial number but a different connection.

bro67, Aug 28, 2016
  7. lagunajim Win User
    Yes - but what's odd is how it creates a new connection for the same old device - perhaps the driver is updated causing Windows to see it as a new device?

lagunajim, Aug 28, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

It is a hit or miss if the old connection properties get flushed out of the OS and Registry. For some reason with Windows and certain drivers like the Realtek chipset, do you end up with multiple instances. Even worse is the TAPI connections that you have to go and use Farbar's minitoolbox or Service Scanner to flush.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting Rid of Network Adapter Sequential Numbering! - Similar Threads - Getting Rid Network

2. Network Adapters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Adapters: The Intel (R) Wireless -AC 9560 160 MHz will not work in my Acer Aspire Windows 10 Laptop Where can I get that adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-adapters/6491c03d-8c46-4776-904e-d3637d42fe4a
  3. How to get rid of the number behind the ssid?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get rid of the number behind the ssid?: So I had this problem for a while now, I mostly use tethering for internet access so I always turn it on and off and each time I did it the number increase. I know I can get rid of it from regedit, but is there any other way to do it? Also, I'm running windows 10 version...
  4. Virtual network adapter not getting installed

Virtual network adapter not getting installed: The issue started when I tried to add a new virtual network in VMware Workstation 14 using Virtual Network Editor but the changes revert back without getting applied. I tried with different versions multiple times but the issue remained. Then I noticed the virtual network...
  5. How to rename files sequentially at a number other than 1

How to rename files sequentially at a number other than 1: Hey gang, I've got a bunch of files (~300) that need to be renamed sequentially. I used the F2 command to change the names from "image1.png" to "M00000(1).png", etc. Is there a switch or something in PowerShell or the command prompt to start at a number other than 1 and...
  6. How to change sequential numbers in 2016 Word?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to change sequential numbers in 2016 Word?: I have a multiple page document that has a 96 numbers sequentially listed. Actually its 192, because the numbers appear twice on the same page. Four duplicate numbers on 12 pages, 192 instances of sequential numbers. I need to be able to renumber starting with the next...
  7. get rid of it

in Windows 10 Support
    get rid of it: That area, where I typed "get rid of it", is supposed to be for a Group Name. I don't want it, not there anyway; I need the space now. How can I get rid of it? It wasn't there to start with. I put there somehow by mistake. Don Cole 125622
  8. Wireless network adapter gets deleted

Wireless network adapter gets deleted: Windows 10 keeps deleting wireless network adapter on my Asus X540LA. This issue gets me mad because I need to set up it again and again. Please is there any fix to set it up forever?...
  9. network adapter

network adapter: (grammar is terrible sorry in advance) So i got a Asus chrome book, windows 10 for Christmas. today around an hour ago the internet stopped working due to uninstalled network adapter and ive tried troubleshooting but it doesn't give me any way of helping. Ive looked up a...
  10. No network adapter

No network adapter: Hi ,, I have a Acer computer and I am trying to connect to my bt hub but it will not and says that it does not have any wireless network adapters and that the required network device drivers may not have been installed. Can anyone help me please. Len 123838