Windows 10: Getting rid of "snap" while retaining ability to drag maximized window

Discus and support Getting rid of "snap" while retaining ability to drag maximized window in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If you have Snap enabled (I don't want it) you are able to drag a maximized window by the titlebar. If you have Snap disabled you are not able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by naut, Jun 5, 2016.

1. naut Win User

Getting rid of "snap" while retaining ability to drag maximized window

If you have Snap enabled (I don't want it) you are able to drag a maximized window by the titlebar.

If you have Snap disabled you are not able to drag a maximized window by the titlebar.

I would like the ability to drag a maximized window, while not using the Snap feature. This is how it worked on Windows 7. I have no idea why they wouldn't make these two separate options. I've tried a few 3rd party applications and none seem to give me this ability.

Any ideas?

:)

naut, Jun 5, 2016

2. in win 10, maximized window won't drag

You can do that using the Snap windows feature but check out the window menu when you do that. E.g. press Win+CursorUp ; that snaps the window to Maximized. Press Alt-Space to see that only the menu items I mentioned before for a maximized window are
    available. When you are using the Snap windows feature with your pointer you need to drag it up first and observe the ghost maximized frame before clicking to make it snap to Maximized mode. An analogous procedure is needed when you want to snap a window
    left or right. Then I think the use of the pointer for a half screen may be clearer when snapping a window into a new mode and undoing the snap.

So, to clarify the original discussion, you weren't really dragging a maximized window you were moving your pointer in a way that looked as if you were but in fact were only doing that to change the window's mode and size.

FYI

Robert

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Jun 5, 2016
  3. FableT Win User
    Why can't I drag maximized windows with snap disabled

I am running Windows 10 version 1709

My system is full up to date. I have run both dism restorehealth and sfc with no issues found by either.

As previously indicated, I have validated the correct registry setting for DragFromMaximize.

And now I have validated that the issue is definitely related to the snap feature. If I turn snap back on, then I am able to drag from maximized per the correct window behavior. But as soon as I turn snap off again,
    I immediately lose the ability to drag my maximized windows.

FableT, Jun 5, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Doesn't seem possible in Win 10. I believe is you disable snap in Windows 7 you have the same problem though. I haven't tried it though.

Ztruker, Jun 7, 2016
  5. naut Win User
    Well I never had any issues with Windows 7 because it did not Snap on the border between monitors. I don't think Microsoft thought about how annoying it is for some people with dual monitor set ups to have windows try to Snap on that border between monitors.

Very silly oversight. These options should be separate.

naut, Jun 7, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Ah, had not thought of that. I only have one monitor and snap still annoyed me so I disabled it a long time ago.

The way it worked in Win 7 is actually illogical since dragging it when it's full screen reduces it to a smaller window automatically. More usable though.

Ztruker, Jun 7, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Snap is a part of the OS, Mouse/Touchpad software or OEM software.

bro67, Jun 7, 2016
  8. naut Win User

I don't see how that's illogical but it's personal preference I guess. I think my workflow is soooo much better when I'm able to grab a maximized window by the titlebar. It does reduce it to a smaller window but you simply have to double click it to maximize again and with your mouse already on the title bar it's very smooth.

Erm, yes. Many things that are part of the OS are customizable either natively or with 3rd party apps.

naut, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting rid of "snap" while retaining ability to drag maximized window - Similar Threads - Getting rid snap

2. Cannot drag a maximized window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot drag a maximized window: Hello all, I bought a new mouse, and as soon as I use the new mouse I am unable to pick up a window and drag over to my second screen... it stops at the edge of the screen in the middle when the mouse cursor gets there. I have to pick up the window on the other window with my...
  3. Cannot drag a maximized window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot drag a maximized window: Hello all, I bought a new mouse, and as soon as I use the new mouse I am unable to pick up a window and drag over to my second screen... it stops at the edge of the screen in the middle when the mouse cursor gets there. I have to pick up the window on the other window with my...
  4. Cannot drag a maximized window

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Cannot get rid of snap assist on Windows 11

Cannot get rid of snap assist on Windows 11: Since the last update to Windows circa Jan 13, there's a snap assist window on the screen of my laptop. It snaps the windows if I select any of the layout options.The thing is, I can't get rid of this window. It doesn't move, it doesn't close. I don't want it on top of...
  6. Minimize all or maximize app while dragging a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minimize all or maximize app while dragging a file: Hello,I’d like to know how if possible to enable 2 features I liked from Windows 10.While dragging a picture, hovering over photoshop in the taskbar would bring it to the front if it was minimized or in the background. In Win11 nothing happens. This is true for any...
  7. Minimize all or maximize app while dragging a file

Minimize all or maximize app while dragging a file: Hello,I’d like to know how if possible to enable 2 features I liked from Windows 10.While dragging a picture, hovering over photoshop in the taskbar would bring it to the front if it was minimized or in the background. In Win11 nothing happens. This is true for any...
  8. How to turn off snap windows while keeping maximized window dragging?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to turn off snap windows while keeping maximized window dragging?: On multiple monitors the windows stick to the side of the screens if i don't drag them fast. I want to avoid it without disabling maximized window dragging. How to do that? Windows 10 Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1165) 183859
  9. Dragging a window maximizes it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dragging a window maximizes it: I’m having an issue using windows 10 where when I try and drag a window it automatically maximizes with a green number 1. I’ve found threads with same issue and tried disabling the “prevent windows” option in ease of access but I want the sizing hot keys and options. Is there...
  10. Help getting rid of preset boxes while dragging a window

in Windows 10 Support
    Help getting rid of preset boxes while dragging a window: When I drag a window it shows an outline of multiple preset gray boxes that will snap said window into place. It's real annoying because it changes the window sizes and I have to manually stretch it out again just to read something. Does anyone know how to disable this...