Windows 10: Getting rid of the CU "Security Center" taskbar icon?

Discus and support Getting rid of the CU "Security Center" taskbar icon? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Just got through the manual CU update on my machine, and now there's an icon for the "Windows Defender Security Center" in the taskbar that won't go... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mansen, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Mansen Win User

Getting rid of the CU "Security Center" taskbar icon?

Just got through the manual CU update on my machine, and now there's an icon for the "Windows Defender Security Center" in the taskbar that won't go away - It isn't listed in the "system icons" list where turning off Action Center and such was possible previously.

Has anyone figured out a way to disable it? It's a minor detail, but it IS an eyesore to me. *sarc

:)

Mansen, Apr 11, 2017

2. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Apr 11, 2017
  3. fonero Win User
    Lumia " The Future is Here "

psychomania: This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

psychomania: Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

What RSXforever wrote was a kind of review, that can help other people to judge, if Lumia is the right phone for them.

fonero, Apr 11, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

5. Mansen Win User
    Thanks! I never noticed it appearing in the startup tab.

Mansen, Apr 11, 2017
  6. Starhowl Win User
    Starhowl, Apr 12, 2017
  7. lx07 Win User
    Why?

Why do you need another way? Turning it off in Task Manager works fine. Unless it was simple curiosity there is no point.

Why don't you do run ProcMon yourself? It only takes a minute to do.

Still, it is my birthday today so I'll try to explain it to you.

• Open ProcMon
    • Open Task Scheduler
    • Turn on and off the setting you are interested in (in this case the defender icon)
    • Go into Procmon and select the thing you changed it through (in this case Taskmgr.exe but it could be Settings.exe or whatever)
    • Subselect more on what you are interested in (in this case setting a registry key). It might not be updating a registry key - it could be a database file - you have to look and think. In this case it is a registry key.

So in this case, there you have:

Getting rid of the CU "Security Center" taskbar icon? [​IMG]

And this is the result

Getting rid of the CU "Security Center" taskbar icon? [​IMG]

Now from there I'm sure you can figure out what key to update. Just go to regedit and see if changing that key works or not (p.s. it does).

If it doesn't then you did it wrong (or you couldn't find it) and you should post a question here asking how to do it and saying what you tried. "Run ProcMon for me" is a lazy question *Wink

hth

lx07, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Getting rid of the CU "Security Center" taskbar icon? - Similar Threads - Getting rid Security

2. Get rid of Copilot icon in my search on TaskBar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Get rid of Copilot icon in my search on TaskBar: Windows 11 just updated and now there's AI there that I do not want. I did the registry fix to disable it from my taskbar but the icon is still there in search which means it's still lurking on my computer.I want it dead. This is the one thing that will make me get a...
  3. Get rid of Copilot icon in my search on TaskBar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Get rid of Copilot icon in my search on TaskBar: Windows 11 just updated and now there's AI there that I do not want. I did the registry fix to disable it from my taskbar but the icon is still there in search which means it's still lurking on my computer.I want it dead. This is the one thing that will make me get a...
  4. Centering Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Centering Taskbar Icons: How do I move certain applications on the Taskbar towards the center? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/centering-taskbar-icons/04dfbf51-0392-438a-ba66-b3a0b2118ae9
  5. Centering Taskbar Icons

Centering Taskbar Icons: How do I move certain applications on the Taskbar towards the center? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/centering-taskbar-icons/04dfbf51-0392-438a-ba66-b3a0b2118ae9
  6. Centering Taskbar Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Taskbar shifts to left and touch keyboard gets rid of action center

Taskbar shifts to left and touch keyboard gets rid of action center: This happens very randomly and my icons on my taskbar shift to the left and are condensed and the action center and time goes away and is replaced by the touch keyboard on my taskbar. I can get rid of it by restarting my computer but t always randomly will revert back to...
  8. Taskbar Icons moving to the center

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Icons moving to the center: Hi, I hope you are all well.Here is my problem, the people icon, and the hp support assistance were well aligned on my taskbar right icons. However, they recently isolated themselves and moved to the center, leaving a huge gap between themselves and the other icons on the...
  9. Security Center is all green but taskbar icon is always yellow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Security Center is all green but taskbar icon is always yellow: This problem has been persisting for some months on all three of my Windows 10 machines. The Windows Defender icon (in the popup from the taskbar) always shows the yellow caution mark. When I click it to reach the Windows Defender Security Center on this computer, all of the...
  10. How to get rid of the line under the taskbar icons ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get rid of the line under the taskbar icons ?: When I open a program that I have pinned to the task bar, this line appears under the program icon. Is there any way to remove this feature? [img] 9816