Windows 10: getting rid off 300mb efi partition

Discus and support getting rid off 300mb efi partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; i had a kingston ssdnow300 in my ps3. then i took it out and had acronis clone from a hdd in a laptop for a buddy. his laptop died cause when he got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by m0nk3n, Jun 7, 2016.

1. m0nk3n Win User

getting rid off 300mb efi partition

i had a kingston ssdnow300 in my ps3. then i took it out and had acronis clone from a hdd in a laptop for a buddy.
    his laptop died cause when he got it someone stepped on it so he had it hooked up to a tv via hdmi.

now i have formated the ssd i've tried deleting it in management. full format not quick.

as far as i know the efi patition could cause problems with the ps3 when it tries to initialize it for use when i boot it up.

gonna add a screenshot of management. the disk i wanna remove the efi is called " Disk 6 "

:)

m0nk3n, Jun 7, 2016

2. I just completed my windows 10 upgrade.... I now have 3 recovery partitions

Why? getting rid off 300mb efi partition :)

One of them is 300mb, one is an EFI recovery (100mb) and then the latest one is probably the Windows 10 recovery.

So the question is, how do I get rid of the two Windows 8.1 ones? (They're not being used by Windows 10 are they?)

Gronk.Da.Mage, Jun 7, 2016
  3. Al H_100 Win User
    Windows 10 & Recovery Partition

After some experimenting I have found the solution myself.

The Windows 10 install appears to reference the new 450MB partition only. I have safely deleted the original 300MB and seen no adverse affects. I have run CHKDSK, DISM /Checkhealth and SFC /Scannow and had no errors. I have accessed the recovery options
    and encountered no issues.

The problem is this leaves 300MB unallocated at the start of the disk. The 100MB that comes after this on my drive is for an EFI partition. This can be deleted and then recreated using Command Prompt to move it to the start of the drive, but this can be
    hazardous and cause issues that might require a re-install of WIn10 to fix.

This then leaves a 128MB System Reserved Partition that does not show up under DIsk Management (at least for me). Again, there appears to be command prompt commands that will allow the deletion and recreation of this partition - again care is needed.

It is then a case of downloading a partition program to resize the OS partition to include the 300MB that is now positioned before the OS partition.

When creating the EFI and MSR partition it is important to get the offset correct and I myself will be doing plenty of reading before doing this on my SSD rather than the HDD I have been practising on.

The question I still have is: why did Microsoft decide to leave a redundant 300MB partition after the install?

It seems the most pointless waste of space. While 300MB may not be a huge amount on a 2TB HDD, when using a 240GB SSD where space is valuable it is more than a minor irritation.

Al H_100, Jun 7, 2016
  4. m0nk3n Win User

used diskpart. clean disk. looks ok now *Biggrin

m0nk3n, Jun 7, 2016
Thema:

1. getting rid off 300mb efi partition - Similar Threads - getting rid off

2. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  3. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  4. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Two EFI partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two EFI partitions: I have SSD and HDDwindows is installed in SSDthere are Two EFI partitions totallyCan I delete the EFI partition in HDD Pls tell me what will happen if its deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-efi-partitions/38ad9567-f3aa-49b0-909a-89d2aea81efe
  6. Location of EFI partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location of EFI partition: This may be posted in the wrong area and can be moved if necessary.The question is: Does it matter where the EFI partition is located on your System Drive?When you look at new UEFI install of Windows on a GPT disk, the EFI partition is usually shown as the first on the...
  7. Unwanted drive letter for 2nd EFI partition: How to get rid of it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unwanted drive letter for 2nd EFI partition: How to get rid of it?: My laptop (HP ProBook 4330s) contains an SSD with Ubuntu Linux and a HDD in a caddy with Windows 10 Pro, 2004 edition. Both are installed in UEFI mode, and each drive has its own EFI partition for its own OS. The caddy EFI partition gets an unwanted drive letter. I can make...
  8. Access to EFI Partition

Access to EFI Partition: After the latest windows update, when I open file explorer, three extra drives were added besides the c drive. Winretool partition was assigned y drive, PBR partition was assigned x drive and ESP (efi system partition) was assigned e drive. I was able to remove the y and x...
  9. EFI partition deleted

EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. EFI partition missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI partition missing: I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive. After the installation worked (the laptop was working correctly) I decided to format my old HDD. After a reboot i got this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 300mb partition windows

2. 300mb efi partition