Windows 10: getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens

Discus and support getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good afternoon all, For the record I am running on an HP Pavilion All-In-One computer running Win 10 Home (x64) and using Edge as my default... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 2harts4ever, Aug 19, 2016.

1. getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens

Good afternoon all,

For the record I am running on an HP Pavilion All-In-One computer running Win 10 Home (x64) and using Edge as my default Browser.

I really don't know where to start but here goes. On August 5 I received a Microsoft notification that the Win 10 Anniversary update was available for install.

So I installed it and then the problems began.

My biggest problem is I started to get Blue Screens telling me "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you."

Sometimes it will restart but more often than not it just goes from 0 % to 100% and then just sits there and finally I have to click the power button to get it to shut down so I can restart it. Some of the Stop Codes have been: (1) IRQL Not Less Or Equal, (2) Critical Process Died or (3) Bad Pool Caller.

I have run scans with Windows Defender, Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes and all three have found no malware or spyware.

I have tried running a Command Prompt (Admin): sfc /scannow but the scans only get to 49 % and quit with the message "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation" I have tried running it in Safe Mode too but the scan still quits around 49-53 %.

It has become so frustrating I even tried doing a System Restore from the only one I had since the Anniversary update wiped out my previous ones. However, I couldn't get that to work either. Then I threw up my hands and decided to take the plunge and attempt a 'Reset of my PC' from the Settings page. But that didn't work either including in Safe Mode.

Something else that has been popping up is sometimes when I click on one of my Desktop shortcuts it doesn't open but I get a screen asking me if I am sure I want to delete this shortcut?? When I click no it just comes back up again and it will do this for all my shortcuts and then just as fast as it started it ends and my Shortcuts start opening the way they are supposed too.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated by my failing 74-year-old 'brain-housing group' ...lol

Thanks and regards,

:)

2harts4ever, Aug 19, 2016
  2. hitch_11 Win User

about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

i dont have any problems of those u listed i exit frrom all applications when i finish ! well this means there is no solution so thanks a lot nokia getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens :(

and about the music i was talking about the phone loudspeaker .. !

hitch_11, Aug 19, 2016
  3. hitch_11 Win User
    about " memory full . close ... " problem ! n97 and equalizer !

1-hey ..! i did a format to my nokia n97 few days ago .. before i did the format i had the problem that sometimes when i go to photos its says " memory full close some applicartions ..." and now i have it again ! so i just wanna know how to
    solve this problem its really annoying !

2- my best music kind is trance ,, but i dont enjoy listening trance on my n97 coz music does'nt sound good for this kind of music .. so i want to know if there is a way to make n97 music sounds like x6 or even 5800 ( i guess ) .. through some
    application or through equalizer or whatever ! i dont wanna get another phone getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens :(

hope u help me .. ! thanks getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens :)

hitch_11, Aug 19, 2016
  4. Luulune Win User

getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens

Holy crap, that's some list leading to a solid dose of "reinstall windows right this moment" - or that's how I think. My dad always tells me I reinstall Windows too often. Personally I feel people are not reinstalling often enough. That's definitely what I recommend you to do. It will save you the headache. You can do a clean reinstall by downloading a boot disk from the Microsoft site, too. Make sure to read up on how to do it, exactly, if you decide to go this way, or maybe have your nephew, cousin, brother, or daughter do it for you. You can also try this, which is sort of reinstalling windows, but easier, and without losing all your files:

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

And, for your sfc issue, check this topic Solved SFC won't repair corrupt files - Error - Windows 10 Forums and see if this helps you. Refer to the post about services and putting something to manual, in particular.

You should try these things first, honestly, because after that if all fails we're gonna need a lot more information from you. If either of these things fixes it for you, that's great.

Also, please refer to the HP Pavilion site and update the drivers for your pc. Also update your graphic card drivers, from what I can see I don't think your BSODs are caused by your graphic card, but since they are a common cause for them, better be sure.

Luulune, Aug 19, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, first start by establishing the integrity of your disk. Before you make any more major changes to your disk, I would suggest doing this to see if there's a problem with your file structure.

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

Don't expect that to magically fix everything, but if it shows significant repairs were made, that may well be relevant. In any case I recommend doing this as a matter of routine before, say, an in-place upgrade repair install or running sfc /scannow.

If chkdsk fails, then you would need to check the SMART parameters of your disk.

Note: if your disk is ok, you also have the option to roll back to the previous build within 10 days of the update.

Noted but shouldn't be directly relevant: many drivers updated 14/8/16 for this system, no BIOS update listed.

dalchina, Aug 19, 2016
  6. Hi Luulune and dalchina,

I appreciate both of your responses. Because of my limited computer expertise I decided to try dalchina's suggestion about 'chkdsk' first.

Here are the results:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Wininit
    Date: 8/20/2016 4:06:54 PM
    Event ID: 1001
    Task Category: None
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
    Description:

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is Windows.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    402176 file records processed.

File verification completed.
    4043 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    489774 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 773 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 773 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 773 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    43800 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    39490488 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

958299135 KB total disk space.
    76232036 KB in 218394 files.
    133412 KB in 43801 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    538651 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    881395036 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    239574783 total allocation units on disk.
    220348759 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 23 06 00 99 ff 03 00 23 70 07 00 00 00 00 00 .#......#p......
    6c 0d 00 00 37 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 l...7...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206f6dea-d3c5-4d10-bc72-989f03c8b84b}" EventSourceName="Wininit" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">1001</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-08-20T20:06:54.029607600Z" />
    <EventRecordID>8442</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>PhilandDonna</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is Windows.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    402176 file records processed.

File verification completed.
    4043 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    489774 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.

0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 773 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 773 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 773 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    43800 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    39490488 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

958299135 KB total disk space.
    76232036 KB in 218394 files.
    133412 KB in 43801 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    538651 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    881395036 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    239574783 total allocation units on disk.
    220348759 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    00 23 06 00 99 ff 03 00 23 70 07 00 00 00 00 00 .#......#p......
    6c 0d 00 00 37 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 l...7...........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Does anything jump out that could have caused any of my problems?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Aug 19, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Ok, looks like no issues with your disk as far as chkdsk is concerned. Clearly sthg went wrong with or since the upgrade resulting in some sort of significant corruption.

You can also check the SMART parameters (e.g. Crystal Diskinfo) and run a surface test (e.g. Macrorit Diskscanner)

Here's what I would suggest.
    1. Create a disk image of your current system (so you can always get back to where your are now, worst case).
    Everyone should use disk imaging.. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage.
    Use Backup Windows, and image any data partitions separately.
    2. You can't roll back to your previous build as it's more than ten days since you upgraded.
    3. If you don't have it already, create a bootable medium for the Win 10 anniversary update (see Tutorial section if you don't know how).
    This is useful for
    - repeating the upgrade
    - in-place upgrade repair
    - as a bootable medium with some repair options
    4. Do an in-place upgrade repair install using your bootable medium.
    5. See if it works. Post back with any issues and what you've tried.
    6. If ok, create a new Macrium image of your working system - use Backup Windows

dalchina, Aug 20, 2016
  8. getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens

Hi dalchina,

I appreciate you hanging in here with me and all your suggestions for handling my problem. Prior to attending church this morning I did a little searching on this forum of people with similar problems after installing the Anniversary update. One in particular stood out for me.

Everything you just suggested seems to be a little too much for my limited computer comfort zone expertise. However, on the link I am going to post someone named 'mrgeek' suggested to someone to go to a certain Microsoft page and download a 'disc image' (ISO file) that can be used to install or reinstall Win 10. His suggestion is a little more workable for the likes of my expertise. If there is any way you could go to the thread and especially check out response #7. I am under the impression after reading it that I wouldn't have to monkey with burning a disk or any other bootable media to accomplish what he is suggesting to that poster. The link is: Win10 Anniversary Update Woes

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Aug 20, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Sure you can download and mount the iso, but if you burn it to a DVD (which is relatively easy), you then have a bootable medium you can use with some recovery options if things go wrong, as I mentioned above. This is actually useful. If you just download and mount the iso and your PC becomes unbootable, and you have no Win 10 install medium, you'd need another PC..

You can also use the MS media creation tool to directly create a bootable USB device for Win 10.

Disk imaging is an essential backup tool.. very strongly recommended for everyone. Why?
    - you can restore your PC to how it was even if your disk fails (and you have to buy a new one)
    - saves you reinstalling Windows (and everything else)
    - backs up your data - you can extract files from the images
    - allows you to recover an unbootable PC (hardware faults aside) without requiring technical help

So many advantages.. (there are more).

Re-installing Windows when things go wrong takes much longer, risks you losing data, means you have to redo settings and reinstall programs.

Hope that helps..

dalchina, Aug 21, 2016
  10. Morning dalchina,

At the risk of sounding dumber than I really am could you point me to the right tutorial when you said:

3. If you don't have it already, create a bootable medium for the Win 10 anniversary update (see Tutorial section if you don't know how).

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Aug 21, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 21, 2016
  12. UPDATE: I THINK I FOUND THE FIX *Biggrin

Good morning,

I think I might have found a solution for my problem. Early this past Tuesday (8-23) I decided to dive into my Event Viewer to see if all my unwanted shutdowns had anything in common. I discovered all had Event ID# 41, Task 63. *Huh

After Googling this I discovered others had run into the same or a similar problem. One suggestion on fixing it pointed to changing a setting under 'Power Settings'. I did as it was suggested and I am happy to say these shutdowns have not happened since I made that change. Prior to changing the setting I was having them at least twice or sometimes three times a day.

The solution for me was: Go to Settings > System > Power and Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Choose What the Power Settings Do > Change Settings Currently Unavailable > and then unselect "Turn on Fast Startup". Mine was checked and once I unchecked it I haven't had my shutdown problem for five days. *Wink

I haven't seen any unusual changes in the startup of my computer by me unchecking this feature so as far as I am concerned right now my problem is solved. *Party

I am posting my solution just in case someone else experiencing the same problem will be helped too.

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Aug 27, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Well done.. Fast startup is sometimes a problem for some users, tho' it doesn't come to mind as being associated with your symptoms from what I can recall.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  14. Hi dalchina,

What I think is the solution now would have been one of the last things I would have considered too. However, I will just keep my fingers crossed and see if my unwanted shutdowns are a thing of the past.

Once again, I appreciate all your time and expertise in helping me get to the bottom of this problem. I am going to mark it solved. However, if the problem resurfaces I will post back. Hopefully you won't see any more of my posts .... I mean on this thread ....lol *Wink

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever, Aug 27, 2016
  15. mrgeek Win User
    "'' suggested to someone to go to a certain Microsoft page and download a 'disc image' (ISO file) that can be used to install or reinstall Win 10. His suggestion is a little more workable for the likes of my expertise."

Good job diagnosing your problem with a simple solution. To clarify on your comment about my other post, you can download the latest ISO at any time from this Microsoft link - Windows 10 ISO

This ISO is usually updated within days of any cumulative updates to save update time too, and is certainly good to have on hand after a major update like Anniv. You can put and mount ISO on the desktop to repair or upgrade your installation, as long as the computer can start to it, which is your case, as well as all the computers that I upgraded to Anniv that were prev running 8, 8.1 or 10 1511 rather than wait for Anniv to appear in the Updates. The r-click Mount is the virtual equivalent of running a DVD copy of the ISO, no different than inserting the DVD into the drive of a system that is currently running.

Others will encourage you to burn it to a DVD or USB copy which can be used to recover the computer or reinstall the OS when the computer can't start, at all. Either way, it's an easy way to have a working install on hand, in case files get corrupted and something isn't quite working right. Hope this adds to your Windows 10 knowledge. Cheers

mrgeek, Aug 27, 2016
Thema:

1. getting steady dose of "PC ran into a problem" screens - Similar Threads - getting steady dose

2. Steady/Constant issues with screen.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Steady/Constant issues with screen.: Now I have a windows 10 laptop that I regularly use to play video games and chill on it. But for some stupid reason it always seems to not work properly, when Im on it normally yes some security defender messages will pop up saying I need to take action. No matter what I do...
  3. Steady/Constant issues with screen.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Steady/Constant issues with screen.: Now I have a windows 10 laptop that I regularly use to play video games and chill on it. But for some stupid reason it always seems to not work properly, when Im on it normally yes some security defender messages will pop up saying I need to take action. No matter what I do...
  4. Steady/Constant issues with screen.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. pc ran into problem

pc ran into problem: today in my asus tuf a17 laptop my windows 10 first ever crash what this means? i am using windows 10 for first so i don't know about that it has only occur one tim https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-ran-into-problem/f01c6171-67f7-4b5c-aa71-72ef01a178b9
  6. PC ran into problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC ran into problem: I get the “blue screen of death” with the sad face and all. It tells me it’s going to restart my computer and it never does. Then I get a system Recovery page that does nothing.Any advice on what to do? Really don’t want to take my computer in to get fixed....
  7. PC ran into problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC ran into problem: Whenever i update the software updates through settings...and when hit restart laptop after installing all updates...it throws error that "your PC ran into problem and needs to restart" After 100% status update...the sceen in frozen.. I want to overcome this...and not want...
  8. Pc ran into a problem

Pc ran into a problem: I was downloading a game and out of no where I got this blue screen error. Now it keeps restarting after it says "Your PC ran into a problem...." When I turn it off then on it takes me to the login screen before logging in the blue screen comes up again and restarts. I turned...
  9. PC ran into a problem

PC ran into a problem: Whenever i start my pc it shows pc ran into a problem...needs to restart...but even after trying 10- 15 times problem remains the same Stopcode: 1. Bad system config info 2. Unmountable boot volume 3. Critical process died...
  10. Pc ran into a problem

Pc ran into a problem: I had just bought a dell xps 15 and have had it for a week used it 3 or 4 times. Yesterday i went to the start button and pressed shut down and update. It took a very long time the last time i looked it at it was 30% done and i went to sleep the next thing i knew my laptop...