Windows 10: Getting stuck at the login screen

Discus and support Getting stuck at the login screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A new issue seems to have appeared on a fairly recent clean install of Windows. This is a UEFI install from USB using the most up to date Anniversary... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GregH, Oct 2, 2016.

1. GregH Win User

Getting stuck at the login screen

A new issue seems to have appeared on a fairly recent clean install of Windows. This is a UEFI install from USB using the most up to date Anniversary Update. It had been working perfectly for a month or so but over the last few days I have noticed on boot up a rather long wait time which happens right at the login screen. I use the PIN option and log into a MS account, not a local account.

Usually I would start the desktop PC and the login screen would present itself in 10-15 seconds or so (using a SSD), I key in the PIN and voila, I am looking at the Desktop within another second or so. Now suddenly, the login screen seems to hang for 5-10 seconds, maybe even more sometimes and during this time I cannot even enter my PIN. The small icon at the bottom right indicates that the PC is still searching for an internet connection, even though the ADSL modem is on and connected to the PC by cable, not wireless. It seems that the PC is waiting to connect via the internet and until a connection is established, it will remain locked up.

Is this maybe from a bad update or maybe a setting I have unwittingly changed? I did recently install Bit Defender Internet Security 2017 but I think this only started happening some time after that.

Any ideas?

:)

GregH, Oct 2, 2016

2. Windows 10 getting stuck at login screen

I have recently cloned my hard drive to a new ssd, but when I tried to boot from the ssd windows will start and go to the login screen however almost immediately it goes to a black screen with a loading cursor. My second monitor shows the normal cursor,
    which makes me suspect something has gone wrong only with the login screen. I have scanned the ssd and fixed any errors and the problem still persists. I have also run the windows startup repair, but that was unable to fix the error. My windows 10 version
    is 1607 (KB3209498).

I know that I could just wipe the drive and reinstall windows, but I would rather not have to reinstall all of my applications to the new ssd. Any help is appreciated.

Erisdar_Skolir, Oct 2, 2016
  3. Windows 10 getting stuck at login screen

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut
    Win+R, type msinfo32
    and click OK . Place the cursor on
    System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save.
    Files in the txt file format are preferred.Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.The system creates
    a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the
    report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your
    System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type
    eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and
    Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files.
    Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do
    not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

gerrys template

Gerry C J Cornell, Oct 2, 2016
  4. GregH Win User

Think I fixed it for what it is worth ;-)

I had recently installed Realtex sound driver for the motherboard website (MSI). Had been using a Windows default driver until then. By chance I noticed a newer driver posted on MSI's site just one day after I had downloaded and installed it. So I downloaded and installed the newer version and immediately the long login delay has gone away. Seems rather odd but there it is.

GregH, Oct 2, 2016
Thema:

1. Getting stuck at the login screen - Similar Threads - Getting stuck login

2. Stuck at the login screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stuck at the login screen: HelloI have a laptop with windows 10 installed I have 4 profiles / users 1- Work2-Gaming3- Private4- a random oneI was working and after i finished work i switched to my gaming profile Windows auto login started to show then it said “user profile service failed the sign in”...
  3. Stuck at the login screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stuck at the login screen: HelloI have a laptop with windows 10 installed I have 4 profiles / users 1- Work2-Gaming3- Private4- a random oneI was working and after i finished work i switched to my gaming profile Windows auto login started to show then it said “user profile service failed the sign in”...
  4. Stuck at login screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Stuck at login screen: I started my pc as a usual day but i just cliked space baar so i can go to the login screen where are password but it just shpws a loading icon redirected to the same screen pls helpWindows 10...
  5. Stuck in login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck in login screen: Hello! I'm having a huge problem and I am stuck on my login screen.. I know the password but it says it's incorrect. I tried using the keyboard inside the screen didnt work and I can't do anything such as: Resetting pc, doing troubleshooting... Etc... After restarting...
  6. Stuck at login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck at login screen: I have recently did an update on windows 10 and after that im not able to login to my account. Attaching the error msg "Something happened and your pin isnt available" There is an option to set pin but it dosent work.. I did have a fingerprint set but it isnt working. I have...
  7. stuck in login screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    stuck in login screen: hi all as the title suggests i am stuck in the login screen. yesterday i tried booting my pc on safe mode and it requested a password and not the pin i usually use, so i changed my microsoft password booted it in safe mode with networking but it still does not have any...
  8. Stuck at login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck at login screen: Hello i went into safemode with networking because i wanted to fix some java stuff, anyway on startup im unable to acces windows, i had a pin and my email password, neither of the 2 work,but if i try to do things like reinstall Windows my password gets accepted there(?). Pls...
  9. Stuck at login screen

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck at login screen: Hi all. Windows 10 question. aI had power outage today. When I turned my PC back on I was able to log in fine using my PIN which is how I normally log in, but my mouse wasn't working properly. It lit up, the cursor moved, but no clicks were registering. I turned the PC...
  10. Stucked on login screen

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Stucked on login screen: hello i bought a Lenovo laptop with windows 8 pre-installed in it and as soon i got the update of windows 10 i did it but within 2 months my pc starts hanging a lot so i tried to search for the internet and they said that Microsoft provide a specific time after which you...