Windows 10: getting updates without logging a Microsoft account

Discus and support getting updates without logging a Microsoft account in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; In short, can I get Windows 10 updates without logging a Microsoft account and not from a peer updated computer? Here is a longer version of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by yky378, Apr 23, 2016.

1. yky378 Win User

getting updates without logging a Microsoft account

In short, can I get Windows 10 updates without logging a Microsoft account and not from a peer updated computer?

Here is a longer version of the question posted in the user account and family safety forum. I don't want to waste resources to post it here again.
    local account/Microsoft account

:)

yky378, Apr 23, 2016

2. New windows 10 update fail, Error message: unable to copy file.

If you are running Windows 10 and you are trying to update manually when using a local account, I suggest logging into your Microsoft account and checking the status of the update, then switch back into your local account, log out of the local account, then
    go back into your Microsoft Account, and check on the update status - it should start moving again.

In the future when you want to manually update Windows, log into your Microsoft Account and do the manual update from the Microsoft Account.

I have seen this happen twice and this was the fix.

If you let your system automatically update windows, then you should not see this error. (At least, I'm pretty sure I have had some automatic updates that went through without my switching to a Microsoft Account.)

Good luck.

Gamer Monkey, Apr 23, 2016
  3. How to log into the computer without a Microsoft Account.

Hi Toby,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have logging into the computer without a Microsoft Account.

Logging with a Microsoft Account is secure, Your information is encrypted and is secure. You can check the below link:

Privacy – Microsoft privacy

However, If you don't want to login to the computer without a Microsoft Account, you can use Local Account with Admin privileges.

Create a local user account in Windows 10:

Here’s how to create another account on your PC for a child or someone else who doesn’t have a Microsoft account.

• Select the Start button, then select Settings.

• Select Accounts > Other users.

• Under Other users, select
      Add someone else to this PC.

• At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.

• At the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.

• Enter a name for the new account. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password hint, then select
      Next.

• Select Finish.

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Apr 23, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You do not need a Microsoft account to get updates.

NavyLCDR, Apr 23, 2016
  5. yky378 Win User
    Thank you for the quick reply.

The following is what was shown on my update screen. What account was Windows talking about? Obviously, I must have logged in a account (the default Administrator account, in this case) to see the message.

WINDOWS UPDATE
    We couldn't download some updates because you were signed out of your account. Sign in with your account, try the update again, and stay signed in during the download.
    Retry

yky378, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. getting updates without logging a Microsoft account - Similar Threads - getting updates without

2. Logging in with a microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Logging in with a microsoft account: Bought a new Dell computer with Windows 11 installed. It asked me to log in with an email account tied to a microsoft account. I entered an email address not linked to a microsoft account and now I can't log in without getting a code from microsoft. I need to remove the error...
  3. Microsoft account log in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft account log in: Yesterday Dell had to replace the motherboard on one of my computers.On restarting the machine I was asked to reset the PIN. This involved Microsoft emailing me a verification code.Despite a message saying they had sent an email I have received nothing. I have tried this...
  4. Microsoft account log in

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft account log in: Yesterday Dell had to replace the motherboard on one of my computers.On restarting the machine I was asked to reset the PIN. This involved Microsoft emailing me a verification code.Despite a message saying they had sent an email I have received nothing. I have tried this...
  5. Logging into Microsoft Account

Logging into Microsoft Account: Went to log into my account, and it has Pick an account! I only have ONE account. There is an odd extra account that is not mine. It is NOT attached to my Outlook account. How do I delete this account from my Microsoft?...
  6. Log in to Microsoft Account?

Log in to Microsoft Account?: I reset my password. I went through the stages and ended at - Sign into this computer using your Microsoft Account. We'll need your current Windows password one last time. I don't know my current password. The new password is not the one I need or Microsoft hasn't updated...
  7. Constantly getting logged out of Microsoft accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Constantly getting logged out of Microsoft accounts: It seemsthat I cannot stay logged into MS accounts for more than a week or two. Afterthat, I’m logged out and I have to provide my email and password. It is quiteirritating. Does thishappen to everybody and can it be fixed? Servicesand apps where this is happening:...
  8. logging in to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    logging in to Microsoft account: My desktop has requested me to log in to my Microsoft account - I get a Your Account or password is incorrect message. I can login on my laptop - but the same user name and password does not work on the desktop. If I run reset the password on the desktop machine it tells me I...
  9. Log in to Windows with Microsoft account without password

Log in to Windows with Microsoft account without password: I have a local user account as well as a Microsoft account on my computer, and it seems to log into the local account first and find that the password is wrong, before asking me to log into my Microsoft account.... but, I have been to Run>netplwiz and unticked users to this...
  10. Remove Account on Thinkpad without logging in

Remove Account on Thinkpad without logging in: I am unable to log into my Lenovo Thinkpad. I got this years ago and forgot the password. I reset the password on my account but I still cannot log in. When I try to log in, it just says to use the last password on the device or that the device is offline....