Windows 10: getting Windows ready / Don't turn off your computer despite no update

Discus and support getting Windows ready / Don't turn off your computer despite no update in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've had this happen a handful of times on both our machines before. In fact it happened on one just now. Basically I went into Windows update and saw... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Scottyboy99, Nov 18, 2016.

1. getting Windows ready / Don't turn off your computer despite no update

I've had this happen a handful of times on both our machines before. In fact it happened on one just now. Basically I went into Windows update and saw it was checking for updates already. Presumably the scheduled auto process. It took ages to eventually come back and finish the check. There were no updates found. However when I restarted the PC it moved straight into 'getting Windows ready'. I left it half hour but it wasn't changing so I force turned off by holding power button down. I then switched back on and all was back to normal, I did another updates check which finished much quicker and restarted the machine and noted the problem didn't resurface. It seems to be a bug in Windows 10 that manifests itself on rare occasions. There are no updates to install but it seems to get stuck on getting Windows ready. I reckon it may of eventually rebooted if I'd left it long enough but I didn't have hours to spare.

it is rare but I know when it's likely to happen,if checking for updates takes an abnormally long time (several minutes) to complete its check then there is a good chance that upon next restart this 'getting Windows ready' issue will occur. It's as if the computer thinks there are updates and is waiting to install some when in fact none exist and it gets stuck in this phase. But why it happens is over my head. I think there is something in the automatic updates check that tries to happen silently in the background that can cause this. Maybe Windows update server is feeding machines duff information on these occasions. I have actually observed this in three different machines pre and post anniversary update so it was an issue in the previous public build and remains in the current public build. As you can imagine it's extremely irritating for this to happen, and no user wants to be force powering off a machine by holding the power button down to get out of it . That is always a risky solution which can cause corruption but it seems a user has no choice when this bug occurs. I've come to refer to this as the 'phantom updates bug', lol.

unfortunately i cannot remember on which forums but I have seen a fair few users report this happening from time to time. I wonder if anyone on here has observed this though and what they did, did you leave it and eventually rebooted, if so how long did that take? Does anyone have any idea what Windows is trying to do or why this happens?

cheers, Wayne

:)

Scottyboy99, Nov 18, 2016

2. Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer

It would depend on who manufactured your device.

The people who build these machines (and none of them are made by Microsoft) cannot seem to agree on how to get into safe mode.

The easiest way (and the one that generally works) depends on you being able to log on.

Apart from that there's restarting the computer and tapping different F Keys depending on the manufacturer. Even the Escape key has been used for this by some.

Best post the question to the manufacturer's support site and hope an answer comes up.

5c66d81a-1cc8-4430-ba2e-a43be2595fdb, Nov 18, 2016
  3. Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer

have the same problem but cannot get into the recovery by multiple power downs, just continues the loop when no matter how many times I power down and then on.

BrianTobin1, Nov 18, 2016
  4. getting Windows ready / Don't turn off your computer despite no update

I would guess automatic maintenance, it runs disk cleanup, which performs component cleanup, that can take long time. It is something, that can not be simply stopped. You could try to disable maintenance and see, if it happens again.

Automatic Maintenance - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

You should perform system cleanup sometimes, it will make checking for updates and restart faster. I have a slow laptop compared to your PC and I haver never seen "getting Windows ready" to run for more than 10 mins after updating.

I use WC.bat, CCleaner and Wise Disk Cleaner to cleanup system files.

TairikuOkami, Nov 18, 2016
  5. Hi, it could be what you are saying. That seems to make some sense. Trouble is for a user it's not obvious that this is what the machine is doing. There were no updates being applied but this message is typically associated to when updates are being installed, so it's possibly giving a false impression. I kind of wish I'd let it run longer to see if it eventually came back to life! Admittedly this didn't happen tonight on the desktop PC in my signature, but on our weak living room BRIX box hooked up to our living room tv, it does have a small 160gb SSD but the processor is a snail (celeron 1.9 ghz I think) so could be why the getting Windows ready phase was taking so long.

it has happened on the main PC in my sig in the past too, the getting Windows ready message caused great confusion on that occasion too given there were no updates to install. I think I only left that a few minutes before force powering off due to the confusion, I would be curious to of known how long it would of taken to reboot. We also had another laptop (since sold) where it happened on one occasion. In each case the machines were force powered off and then switched back on whereupon everything was back to normal.

i could switch automatic maintenance off I guess but I suppose that's not great for the computer/Windows install in the long term. If it happens again I will just leave it for longer, maybe an hour at most before taking the draconian step of force powering off.

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

getting Windows ready / Don't turn off your computer despite no update

1. getting Windows ready / Don't turn off your computer despite no update - Similar Threads - getting ready Don't

2. Getting windows ready don't turn off your computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Getting windows ready don't turn off your computer: I recently did a complete reset of my hp windows 10 laptop. Now every time I have to restart my computer gets stuck on getting windows ready, don't turn off your computer. Can last anywhere from a minute to half an hour or so. How do I stop this from happening?...
  3. Getting windows ready don't turn off your computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting windows ready don't turn off your computer: I recently did a complete reset of my hp windows 10 laptop. Now every time I have to restart my computer gets stuck on getting windows ready, don't turn off your computer. Can last anywhere from a minute to half an hour or so. How do I stop this from happening?...
  4. Getting windows ready don't turn off your computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop stuck at "Getting Windows Ready. Don't turn off your computer"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop stuck at "Getting Windows Ready. Don't turn off your computer": My Windows 10 laptop is stuck at "Getting Windows Ready. Don't turn off your computer." I have tried to power it off hard stop and then powered it on again, but it returns immediately to this point. So I can't reboot in safe mode to run the troubleshooter. And the WIN+R...
  6. "Getting Windows Ready Don't turn off your computer" stuck.

"Getting Windows Ready Don't turn off your computer" stuck.: Hi! I tried to restart my pc because it doesn't open file explorer properly. It's slow. The "Getting Windows ready Don't turn off your computer" appears and does not seem to be moving. There's no circle animation. I suppose it's updating since I can see the hard disk LED and...
  7. Stuck in Restart: Getting Windows Ready. Don't turn off your computer.

Stuck in Restart: Getting Windows Ready. Don't turn off your computer.: I was prompted by the following news to update my Windows 10:https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/microsoft-issues-urgent-security-warning-update-your-pc-immediately-1.5499896 One of my laptops updated without problems. The other kept searching for updates, but there was no WiFi...
  8. Getting Windows Ready Don't Turn off your computer with no circle.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Getting Windows Ready Don't Turn off your computer with no circle.: Is it a bug? Is it stuck? submitted by /u/dadybosma [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lprrcn/getting_windows_ready_dont_turn_off_your_computer/
  9. Laptop stuck at "Getting Windows Ready. Don't turn off your computer".

Laptop stuck at "Getting Windows Ready. Don't turn off your computer".: My laptop just got a reset because I was facing problems with the Optane Memory module. The module is now changed so I don't think there's a problem due to that. Due to the reset, I had to get all the updates, apps and software I had previously. I installed some Windows...
  10. Desktop stuck on "Getting Windows ready / Don't turn off your computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Desktop stuck on "Getting Windows ready / Don't turn off your computer: I ran a Kaspersky full scan and then an MBAM threat scan on my desktop with my ethernet jack unplugged. (My ethernet was plugged in before I started the scans). Both scans were clean. Afterwards, I began to shutdown the computer. It's been like 15 minutes now, and my...