Windows 10: ghost user at login

Discus and support ghost user at login in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have 2 users, but 3 appear on my login screen: Bill, Nancy, Bill The system is defaulting to make me log into the Bill account that requires a p/w... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by ruggb, Jan 24, 2017.

1. ruggb Win User

ghost user at login

I have 2 users, but 3 appear on my login screen: Bill, Nancy, Bill
    The system is defaulting to make me log into the Bill account that requires a p/w which I don't have and I must switch to the Bill that has no p/w. THIS Bill is an admin user, me. I thought it was the defaultuser0 account that was causing the problem. I used delprof2 and it got rid of the user folder and maybe a couple other things (I think it also deleted Nancy's user folder which was not any loss) but the user still showed up in the computer management so I deleted it. It still wants me to log into the ghost Bill account.
    I have the same HKUser folders as on a system that does not have this issue.

How do I get rid of this??

:)

ruggb, Jan 24, 2017

2. Properties>Security>Group or User Names panel - How do I enter a name in it?

Thank for providing us the information. We've already tried multiple troubleshooting steps and the same issue still persists. In this case, let's try to troubleshoot your issue by eliminating ghost login, follow the steps below:

• First, open netplwiz, then uncheck the box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.
    • Then, on the pop-up window, click Cancel.
    • Make sure the box for Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer should be checked again.
    • Lastly, click OK.

These will help us to eliminate ghost login.

We look forward to your response.

Marvelos Reg, Jan 24, 2017
  3. Ghost account at login screen

Hello,

If you are having a hard time signing in to your Microsoft account, we suggest that you follow the instructions in this

article
    to access your computer.

Hope it helps.

Karina Aris, Jan 24, 2017
  4. ghost user at login

Have a look at posting number 3 in this thread. It may not be directly applicable as in this the user account was not being defaulted to for sign in. As these changes don't make any real changes it should be good for a test. Make a restore point before trying, better safe than sorry.

Logon Screen shows 2 users but there is only 1 user

This second thread appears to be more like your situation so you might want to review its solution as well.

Ghost user

Caledon Ken, Jan 24, 2017
  5. ruggb Win User
    thx Ken
    My situation was not exactly like either. I also had a situation where I was not able to access this computer from another computer any more. I finally resolved all issues by restoring to 5 days ago. I have no idea what grabbed this and I hate not knowing, but all is well again.

ruggb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

ghost user at login

1. ghost user at login - Similar Threads - ghost user login

2. Windows User Accounts created a ghost account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows User Accounts created a ghost account: I don't understand why this is - but this operating system has split my sign-in. It introduced a new User Account that's a duplicate of my main account - but instead of asking for the pin, it asks for a password. This ghost account only shows up at log-in - IT DOES NOT SHOW...
  3. Windows User Accounts created a ghost account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows User Accounts created a ghost account: I don't understand why this is - but this operating system has split my sign-in. It introduced a new User Account that's a duplicate of my main account - but instead of asking for the pin, it asks for a password. This ghost account only shows up at log-in - IT DOES NOT SHOW...
  4. Windows 11 Ghost User

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Ghost User: I have just done a clean install of Windows 11 and migrated my Windows 10 files to the new system. I am the only user of the computer and live alone so I want it to boot to the desktop but when I turn off the need to enter a password the boot fails at the lock screen and...
  5. Windows 11 Ghost User

Windows 11 Ghost User: I have just done a clean install of Windows 11 and migrated my Windows 10 files to the new system. I am the only user of the computer and live alone so I want it to boot to the desktop but when I turn off the need to enter a password the boot fails at the lock screen and...
  6. Windows 10 Provision Package and ghost logins occuring

Windows 10 Provision Package and ghost logins occuring: I work for a MSP that had a software developer create the service team a USB provision tool for setting up a bulk amount of computers and I believe its causing some issues. The software developer sorta built this on his side time and no one really knows much about it. It...
  7. Windows 10 Ghost User Account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 Ghost User Account: I've searched high and low on the web. It seems like this has been discussed alot but unfortunatley none of the fixes i have found worked. Here is my issue: I have 2 users on my PC. My PC boots right into one of the users but I do not want that. I'd like the PC to boot like...
  8. Login user

in Windows 10 Customization
    Login user: I logged in on a friends computer now my account is on his computer shows me. He wants his acct. to show up and to get rid of "Edge" as a browser. Please gig me a clue please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/login-user/89556bab-4e7d-4981-9a40-0bb721f8b5d7
  9. Ghost user preventing uninstall of programs

Ghost user preventing uninstall of programs: Recently bought this computer second-hand, happy with it otherwise but there's something peculiar going on with the user accounts. - When uninstalling programs I get a warning that "there are other users logged in" so the program won't uninstall correctly. - My account...
  10. Ghost user

Ghost user: I got a cloned user, that ever time i turn up my pc, it blocks the screen, and display wrong password, i don't know why it duplicated the user, and the password doesn't work [img] Are 2 users named CAIO, one of then my pass work and another dont [img]...