Windows 10: Gigabit LAN to USB adapter

Discus and support Gigabit LAN to USB adapter in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Thank goodness: you had me wondering if I'd been exaggerating USB capabilities all these years. There's probably something funky about the USB-to-PCIe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Adalwar, Oct 16, 2016.

1. EdTittel Win User

Gigabit LAN to USB adapter

Thank goodness: you had me wondering if I'd been exaggerating USB capabilities all these years. There's probably something funky about the USB-to-PCIe bridge that connects USB to the computer's internal bus. I've seen this kind of thing on other low-budget tablets and low-end laptops before, now that you mention it...
    Not a good way to figure out your equipment is suboptimal, though. Hope you figure out a way to straighten things out. On my Lenovos, for example, I can get somewhere inbetween real USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 performance by using an adapter card that plugs into the PCIe slot in the notebook and that offers a pair of USB 3.0 ports to plug into. It cost about $30 and is another StarTech product (I buy them from Newegg) called 2 Port ExpressCard SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 16, 2016
  2. Adalwar Win User

I am totally out of me, look at this and then the USB 2.0 is only Half-Speed!!!

Adalwar, Oct 16, 2016
  3. Berton Win User
    Guess I didn't make it clear that one motherboard came with built-in USB 3.0 and the other has the added card to gain the capability.

Berton, Oct 17, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

That's only a MAX of around 40 MB/s transfer --typically an average on USB2 you'd probably get an average of around 30 MB/s transfer -- quite slow when copying say 20 GB of multi-media files. Several minutes !!!.

Over a network you are limited to LAN or Wifi speed -- if it's Wifi you'd probably be lucky to get a constant transfer speed of 11 - 12 MB/s (Mega BYTES / sec) whether you use USB 3 or USB 2 !!!!.

I still find it strange that a laptop fitted with USB 3 capability on the Mobo only has USB 2 connections --unless the USB 3 mobo connectors are not really USB 3 !! I've seen a few mobo connections that look like USB 3 (have the blue colour) but are in fact USB 2. I've taken enough computers and cannibalized enough parts to know there's often strange things on a lot of Mobos.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 17, 2016
  5. Adalwar Win User
    Hi,
    I have been doing some test about USB2.0 & 3.0 regarding to find out what is going on here.
    The Motherboard Chipset has USB 3.0, but the case Connectors are USB 2.0, they are black. I have also opened the case to see if there was 8 Lines to connector but there are only 4 , so no way to exchange connectors.
    My previous test was wrong, USB 2.0 are full speed, I was transferring the file to the internal SD-Card and Card / Adapter are "half-speed" or something else is slowing down the I/O speed.
    In both Laptops the USB 2.0 is very close to 40MB/s.
    And USB 3.0 is 300MB/s, probably behind the 400MB/s because SSD can not reach that speed.

Gigabit LAN to USB adapter [​IMG]

Adalwar, Oct 17, 2016
  6. Berton Win User
    The connectors from the case ports to the motherboard are actually contain only 7 wires, the pins on the board are 7 with the plug having a blank area for indexing the plug. My motherboard manuals show USB 2.0 as HighSpeed and USB 3.0 as SuperSpeed. The USB symbol on my Notebooks that have USB 3.0 also have added SS letters to identify in addition to the blue centerpiece.

Berton, Oct 18, 2016
  7. Adalwar Win User
    I just got one LAN to USB adapter 10/100/1000Mbps and indeed the data transfer speed, in real world, is around 40MB/s, so about 320Mbps when adapter is connected to USB 2.0 Port. Not bad, much better than the 11MB/s of a 100Mbps LAN.
    Thank you EdTitel, you made me buy that adapter.
    @Berton: USB 2.0 has only 4 Wires, cables from Motherboard Headers with 8 wires are for 2 USB 2.0 ports. USB 3.0 has 8 wires (may be 7), i do not know it exactly and I do not need to.
    Look at an USB 3.0 Port you will see 8 connections, 4 in foreground (that are for USB 2.0) and 4 deep in connector, difficult to see.

Adalwar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Gigabit LAN to USB adapter - Similar Threads - Gigabit LAN USB

2. ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting: Hey :So my USB-C Ethernet Adapter ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter ist not connecting on the first boot up... it only connects when i started my pc, logged into my account and then restart my PC. Can someone help me with this issue? I´d like for it to...
  3. ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting: Hey :So my USB-C Ethernet Adapter ASIX AX88179A USB 3.2 Gen1 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter ist not connecting on the first boot up... it only connects when i started my pc, logged into my account and then restart my PC. Can someone help me with this issue? I´d like for it to...
  4. USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting at USB3.0 speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter not connecting at USB3.0 speeds: I have a usb3 gigabit ethernet adapter connect to the usb3 slot on my laptop but its only connecting at usb 2 speeds.... but when I connect my usb3 lexar flash drive in the same port I do get usb 3 speeds. It appears the ethernet adapter is not connecting to the 'companion...
  5. Lan via Lan-Adapter?

Lan via Lan-Adapter?: Is it possible to test your internet connection via this adapter and complain if the service is not provided, or do you have to go via a permanently installed one? [ATTACH] Lan über Lan-Adapter testem?
  6. For connecting USB 3.0 ethernet adapter with lan cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    For connecting USB 3.0 ethernet adapter with lan cable: I am trying to connect USB 3.0 ethernet adapter with LAN cable to xerox machine. but it is compatible with windows 7 and 8. I have windows 10. so what i can i do for connect. so for windows 10 product is available or not? please guide me. Thanku....
  7. REALTEK USB Wireless LAN Adapter setup failed.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    REALTEK USB Wireless LAN Adapter setup failed.: I have been trying to setup a wireless USB adapter from 2 days but i'm failed. It's a "USB 2.0 Wireless 802.11N" Lan Adapter. When i connect it to computer it's driver showing up to the device manager for a few seconds and then vanish. Sometime the driver stay up a long time...
  8. USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2

USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter not reaching full speeds on USB2: hi guys, I have an odd problem - just recently we moved to Germany and there's a new connection here, with a Fritzbox, which seems to be popular, and here's the situation. I have an ASUS VivoBook S15 S510UQ that I really like, overall works well. Now something strange...
  9. HELP!!! Lan gigabit alwasy detect 100mbps

HELP!!! Lan gigabit alwasy detect 100mbps: i have pc with GE port n using cat5e cable but when im conected to modem huawei HG8245 its only detect 100mbps when im try manual set to 1.0gbps lan network say unplug...can some help me to solve this problem 26796
  10. USB-LAN adapter not recognised

USB-LAN adapter not recognised: Hello, The following notebook/laptop does not have a LAN port: Lenovo 100S-14IBR http://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-100S-14IBR-Notebook-Celeron-Prozessor/dp/B01AK5SZ74?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 Hence I have purchased a USB-LAN adapter as...