Windows 10: Giving up Acronis in favour of FREE AOMEI

Discus and support Giving up Acronis in favour of FREE AOMEI in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi there I've been trying out the FREE version of AOMEI backup -- seems to have everything I need including Differentials / incrementals , explore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Feb 4, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Giving up Acronis in favour of FREE AOMEI

Hi there

I've been trying out the FREE version of AOMEI backup -- seems to have everything I need including Differentials / incrementals , explore Images, disk / partition / file backup restore / image checking, Linux partitions etc.

Can also disable VSS when running on Windows -- sometimes I've had problems with things like Macrium with VSS. AOMEI can use it's own internal locking if backing up while Windows is running.

Seems quite fast too.

I like the clean interface as well. I might well switch to this one after I've given it a robust trial. I was a long time user of Acronis but it seems to be sliding downhill at the moment - I never realized at how much has been removed from AT2105 even though it has a slightly better interface than ATH2014.

Anyway I suggest if you want a decent FREE backup utility which is far better than FREE Macrium and which runs on Windows as well as a bootable stand alone version I suggest you try it.

(Before RESTORING ensure you have a restorable image from another system you've tried -- I don't think there's any problem but it pays to be safe when testing a new product like this -- also backup and restore an image initially that doesn't have critical data (e.g don't start with the OS).

AOMEI Windows Backup, Cloning, and Recovery Software

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 4, 2015

2. Partitioning the disk

You need to use a mature partition manager, e.g. AOMEI or MiniTool (both free) or Acronis Disk Director (not free).

Frederik Long, Feb 4, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Cloning HD

I don't know about Acronis, but I use the Free version of
    AOMEI Partition Assistant
    to clone Drives and have never had any trouble . . .

Click HERE for a step by step on cloning your hard drive with AOMEI

DaveM121, Feb 4, 2015
  4. besb Win User

Hi Jimbo, I can vouch for AOMEI, I have been using it for over 3 years.
    Also has SSD optimization.
    I clone drives as backup - just switch drives should one fail, much quicker than restoring images!!
    I can only recall one failure which was attempting to clone a Toshiba satellite drive running W8.1
    Not sure of the exact failure report but it was something about having too many partititions.
    Windows MBR, OS , Hidden recovery, Data, another hidden partion; or something like that.
    I had to restore from a backup image as you correctly suggest.

besb, Feb 7, 2015
  5. rvbfan Win User
    Going to have to give this a try. I've been using the Acronis WD version.

rvbfan, Feb 7, 2015
  6. Thanks for the info. jimbo.
    I've been using Acronis for a few years also. The latest version I have is 2014, which I had on Win 8.1.
    I found it to be always running in one form or another. It took up a lot of HDD space also.
    Now with Win 10 clean install I was looking for something new which was lighter and I think AOMEI will be good.
    Going to D/L and give it a work out for a few days.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Feb 7, 2015
  7. davehc Win User
    besb "much quicker than restoring images" Lol. I love that and admire your skill - no sarcasm. It takes me about ten minutes to undo all those minute screws on a laptop, my image is usually done by then.

davehc, Feb 7, 2015
  8. davehc Win User

There are three items in the startup tab on the task manager. You can disable these without loss (unless you need to schedule etc..) Only problem is whenever you attempt an operation, it asks if it can switch on the scheduler to begin. You agree and it does it instantly. But, in any case, I found it easier to make an Acronis boot disk and run my operations from that

davehc, Feb 7, 2015
  9. I am using Acronis but after reading this thread I am going to try AOMEI. What is the difference between the free and pay version?

stealth2920, Feb 7, 2015
  10. There are three items in the startup tab on the task manager. You can disable these without loss (unless you need to schedule etc..) Only problem is whenever you attempt an operation, it asks if it can switch on the scheduler to begin. You agree and it does it instantly. But, in any case, I found it easier to make an Acronis boot disk and run my operations from that Interesting, how does the boot disk work ? Would I just use it and not have install the program ?

11. davehc Win User
    You need to initially install, in order to make the boot disk, which is one of the options. After that, if you wish, you can uninstall the program again. I guess Acronis take the view that you have a paid up legit copy, so what you do with it afterwards is your concern. I leave it on though, because it does have other uses. For example, if you just need to back up a small portion of the OS, it is a little quicker.

davehc, Feb 7, 2015
  12. If I leave the program installed, I would have to disable the three items in start up.
    Would there be anything else so nothing runs in the background ?
    Do you think it is better than AOMEI ?

13. davehc Win User

I also disable three service (services.msc) I don't know if it is necessary, but.... just in case!

davehc, Feb 7, 2015
  14. I too can vouch for AOMEI Backupper and have been using it for about 9 months it is now one of 3 backup programs I use. Also keep an eye out for any promotions or giveaways as I was able to get a free AOMEI Backupper Pro key by E Mail a while back with the only limitation being of not able to upgrade to newer versions.

IownAmoneyPit, Feb 7, 2015
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
    I used the AOMEI backupper and the OneKey programs. There are problems with both of them.

1. The backupper did not work correctly on one of my 32bit systems
    2. Imaging a partition that was encrypted at a previous time but is now decrypted does not work
    3. OneKey does not write a BCD for recovery if the bootmgr is on C rather than in the system partition.

I have corresponded several times with the AOMEI developers but the feedback is meager. At least they answer (saying nothing). The Macrium people don't even talk to you.

Still I will continue to use free Macrium - AOMEI is work in progress. Macrium has proven for years to be reliable and has saved my bacon several times. Yes there is a problem with the VSS service if you had a prior installation of another imaging program. But that is because the VSS provider has changed. You can easily check that with this command:

vssadmin list providers

If the Provider Type is not System, then you have a problem. But that can be fixed.

VSS fails due to modification by 3rd party software (Backup, Clone Disk, VSS)

There is also a fix if your VSS .dlls are corrupted. That you can check with:

vssadmin list writers

Thema:

1. Giving up Acronis in favour of FREE AOMEI - Similar Threads - Giving Acronis favour

2. Acronis starts up at startup, even though Acronis backups up at 9:00 pm.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Acronis starts up at startup, even though Acronis backups up at 9:00 pm.: Hi, Acronis starts up at startup, even though Acronis backups up at 9:00 pm. Every time in the am when I start my pc, it takes minutes to boot because Acronis starts up even though Acronis backups up at 9:00 pm. Please advise. Thanks, Joe...
  3. Free today Aomei Partition Assistant Pro 8.5

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free today Aomei Partition Assistant Pro 8.5: Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily - includes creating a bootable disk too. 146751
  4. AOMEI Backupper Professional - free from SharewareonSale

AOMEI Backupper Professional - free from SharewareonSale: https://sharewareonsale.com/ - for 1 day 22hrs from 28/3/19 129749
  5. Is AOMEI BackUpperFull.exe safe?

Is AOMEI BackUpperFull.exe safe?: I recently had my PC technician over to try to backup my pc. He went and got a program called Aomei Backupper. On the site it strangely had the option to download from Cnet so he did. In the end it wasn't to our liking cause it was limited in what it could do so we...
  6. Free - AOMEI Backupper Pro 2.5

Free - AOMEI Backupper Pro 2.5: AOMEI Backupper Pro 2.5 is free today. Key features: System, disk, partition, files and folders backup and restore; Restore a system backup image to dissimilar hardware; Support full, incremental, differential, and automatic backups; System and disk clone for OS...
  7. Macrium and AOMEI...but Veeam Free?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and AOMEI...but Veeam Free?: Hi guys, since it seems that everybody is disappointed with Acronis for the way is taking with True Image (years ago it saved my life many times, but last test with 2018 with his linux bootable rescue media meesed up my boot configuration), I decided to drop, and look for...
  8. Aomei Backupper Pro free

Aomei Backupper Pro free: You can get Aomei Backupper Pro on giveaway. The key given at the link also works for the just released Backupper Pro v4.0.2 Seems to be going to the 8th January. AOMEI Backupper Professional Giveaway 73717
  9. AOMEI Backerupper

AOMEI Backerupper: Just did a clean install of the latest Win10 and tried to install Backerupper but with the latest (1607) of Win 10 the OS is really tightened up on installing any software with un-signed drivers......... My motherboard will not allow turning off of Secure Boot so there is...
  10. Aomei Partition Assist Pro Free

Aomei Partition Assist Pro Free: There is a giveaway of the Pro version 6.0 WinX DVD?????????Digiarty?6???????????2016Xmas???????????? 73359